Drum Corps in the Car....

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. But I do sit outside on my front porch and can hear drums in the summer (if the wind is just right).

It's usually Scouts or Capital Sound.

b**bs

I've only heard drum corps music from another car when in the parking lot or just leaving one at a drum corps rehearsal spot or show.

The chances of randomly coming across drum corps music in the general public is probably pretty low (if you exclude drum corps towns, high school and college areas, and locations near a drum corps or band show).

I kind of like the small community that we are.

I have not, but I do have a pretty interesting story about listening to drum corps in my car.

In my town we have pretty strict noise pollution laws and one day I just happened to be driving to work with my windows down effectively blasting Vanguard 99.

Well...my luck with police officers finally ran out (I had never had any sort of traffic violation ever at this point...never even been pulled over), so I freak out as the police officer approaches my car.

I expect to hear the "Licence and Registration" spiel, when something happens that completely catches me off guard....the police officer leans in and asks "Is that 99 Vanguard?"

Thoroughly scared crapless at this point I do a doubletake and he proceeds to repeat himself.

Finally I answer his question to which he responds "What else you got on you?"

Turns out, this officer had an uncle who marched 27th Lancers and had grown up totally immersed in the drum corps culture.

To me, this totally confirmed the theory of how small this world really is, and we spent the next 20 minutes chillin' on the side of the road talking drum corps. We actually meet up for drinks every now and then as well, and we co-hosted a psuedo party for this past years ESPN2 broadcast.

And I didn't even get a ticket!

I very rarely have the oppurtunity to share that story, good thing I read this thread.

Edited by drumcorpsfanguy1800

Pulled up to a guy blasting BD 1996 one time in New Orleans. Never did get to say anything to him since the light turned green almost immediately.

I have not, but I do have a pretty interesting story about listening to drum corps in my car.

In my town we have pretty strict noise pollution laws and one day I just happened to be driving to work with my windows down effectively blasting Vanguard 99.

Well...my luck with police officers finally ran out (I had never had any sort of traffic violation ever at this point...never even been pulled over), so I freak out as the police officer approaches my car.

I expect to hear the "Licence and Registration" spiel, when something happens that completely catches me off guard....the police officer leans in and asks "Is that 99 Vanguard?"

Thoroughly scared crapless at this point I do a doubletake and he proceeds to repeat himself.

Turns out, this officer had an uncle who marched 27th Lancers and had grown up totally immersed in the drum corps culture.

To me, this totally confirmed the theory of how small this world really is, and we spent the next 20 minutes chillin' on the side of the road talking drum corps. We actually meet up for drinks every now and then as well, and we co-hosted a psuedo party for this past years

ESPN2 broadcast.

I kind of had the same thing happen. I had 78 Phantom blairing when I got pulled over. The KY. State Trooper strold up to the truck and said," Trun that back up, we are missing the best part !" Turns out he had marched in The Memphis Blues. Between playing the music and my Madison Scout Alum. sticker he sent me on my way without a ticket for speeding and no seatbelt !

I very rarely have the oppurtunity to share that story, good thing I read this thread.

If anyone ever did, I'd probably be the person playing it. Nothing gives me a better feeling than being at a stoplight with Blue Devils 1992 When a Man Loves a Woman blasting, or pumping out some SCV 1987 Russian Christmas Music while stuck in the school parking lot driving home. :doh:

Yes, and I usually turn mine up louder.

To me, this totally confirmed the theory of how small this world really is, and we spent the next 20 minutes chillin' on the side of the road talking drum corps. We actually meet up for drinks every now and then as well, and we co-hosted a psuedo party for this past years ESPN2 broadcast.

That is..... AMAZING!!!!!ONE1one

:doh: