Drum Corps in the Car....

No. But I do run across the occasional bumper sticker or license plate frame that reps some drum corps.

I guess the closest I did come to anything "like" that (kind of a stretch here...) was when I worked for an airline here in Chicago, and one of the pilots had seen "Blast" and was a big fan of that because he was also a trumpet player. Then as we chatted about it one of the flight attendants came in on the conversation and said he regretted not marching Glassmen some years ago. That was kind of a "small world" moment.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like to blast it with the windows down in Manhattan during afternoon rush hour.

I very rarely have the oppurtunity to share that story, good thing I read this thread.

Glad to see your story had a happy ending...

..well, you know what I mean. :P

I can honestly say I've never heard it being played from another car - the community is pretty sparse in the St. Louis area.

I drive around Manhattan with a Phantom Regiment license plate frame on my car and, sadly, no one has ever commented on it.

I keep a pair of drum sticks in each of vehicles and play on the steering wheel in traffic jams and at red lights. Sometimes I'll have somebody pull up next to me and roll down their window to hear what I'm playing along with. I should really start taking pictures of their expressions when they hear drum corps coming out!

Although not related to car music, one of my standard lines when somebody is trying to impress me with either their accomplishments or if their trying to build up someon else, I let them ramble on and then just turn to them and say,"Oh yeah? Who'd you (they) march with?" Only once in the past twenty-five years did somebody say a corps name. The doctor and I are still friends to this day.

No. But I do run across the occasional bumper sticker or license plate frame that reps some drum corps.
Someone in my apartment complex has a "Madison Scouts Alumni" window decal on their car. I have yet to run into him. But I'm sure he's aware of my "Glassmen Alumni" window decal on my car as well.

Doesn't apply to drum corps in a car, but it's still funny...

I went to Disney World last September for Night of Joy, and I was wearing a Cavaliers t-shirt. A guy came up to me and was like, "How did they end up doing at Finals?" I said how they had won. His reply, "Oh, did you march with them?" I said no, because...

... I'm a girl.

:doh::worthy:

(Related to the topic- I blast my Cavies Championship CD in my car almost everyday. I find it funny when I pull up to a red light, the guy next to me has rap blasting, and the sounds of Niagra are coming out of my speakers. B) )

I have not, but I do have a pretty interesting story about listening to drum corps in my car.

In my town we have pretty strict noise pollution laws and one day I just happened to be driving to work with my windows down effectively blasting Vanguard 99.

Well...my luck with police officers finally ran out (I had never had any sort of traffic violation ever at this point...never even been pulled over), so I freak out as the police officer approaches my car.

I expect to hear the "Licence and Registration" spiel, when something happens that completely catches me off guard....the police officer leans in and asks "Is that 99 Vanguard?"

Thoroughly scared crapless at this point I do a doubletake and he proceeds to repeat himself.

Finally I answer his question to which he responds "What else you got on you?"

Turns out, this officer had an uncle who marched 27th Lancers and had grown up totally immersed in the drum corps culture.

To me, this totally confirmed the theory of how small this world really is, and we spent the next 20 minutes chillin' on the side of the road talking drum corps. We actually meet up for drinks every now and then as well, and we co-hosted a psuedo party for this past years ESPN2 broadcast.

And I didn't even get a ticket!

I very rarely have the oppurtunity to share that story, good thing I read this thread.

BEST....CORPS....STORY.....EVER!!

i've only had one random meeting (which isn't surprising, cause I think the total drum corps population in Tulsa is like... 2 people) and it wasn't even in person. I've got a Madison sticker on my back window that's usually barely readable through the dirt that gets built up on my truck (I live on a dirt road). I came out of a bookstore once and found a message drawn in the dirt on my back window. It had an arrow pointing to the sticker and said "#### straight! -27th alum"