DCI Atlanta

I am curious as to how the drum corps show was last year in the Georgia Dome. I am thinking of buying tickets for some friends down there, and I was wondering if it would be worth their time to watch it there.

As in--does the dome have an adverse effect on the sound at all? too much?

Just throw some thoughts out for me.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't there, but I heard that the indoor waterfall was a great touch :P

I thought it sounded great. Definitely better than say, Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg (where the FMBC finals have been before). I'm going back again this summer. Definitely can't wait! :) :D B)

Oh, and I was in the section next to the flooded one. That was an interesting experience. lol.

Edited by i_play_percussion

My experience wasn't that great. Sound quality is not great. Maybe close to the field it is ok, but as you get further up it al becomes very booming. You pretty much hear drums and some distant brass. Try to find your friends a nice show in the open air, just my humble opinion

It's your basic dome. Boomy. Humid. You can't really hear anything clearly unless you're sitting between the 45's and about 20 rows up.

Dome drum corps= not my favorite.

The indoor rainout was fun though. Props to Crown for going after that debacle.

it's fun... It's great to have a regional down here. I wish it was outside, but still, the acoustics are by far the best out of any dome.

~>conner

My experience wasn't that great. Sound quality is not great. Maybe close to the field it is ok, but as you get further up it al becomes very booming. You pretty much hear drums and some distant brass. Try to find your friends a nice show in the open air, just my humble opinion

Atlanta Brass Classic - Saturday June 23

Milton High School - Alpharetta, GA (turf field)

Boston Crusaders - Cadets - Carolina Crown - Spirit - Atlanta CorpsVets - Teal Sound

Alabama Battle of the Brass - Monday June 25

Russellville High School - Russellville, AL

Boston Crusaders - Cadets - Carolilna Crown - Spirit - Music City Legend - Teal Sound

Spirit of America - Sunday July 15 (day after the Georgia Dome show)

Jacksonville State University (turf field)

Blue Devils, Boston Crusaders, Cavaliers, Glassmen, Spirit, Atlanta CorpsVets, Memphis Sound, Music City Legend, Troopers

Three nice shows, three nice stadiums (two with turf), and all the air you can stand! B)

Tickets on sale now (reasonably priced, too!) at www.dci.org

I'd say the Georgia Dome was far superior to the RCA Dome in Indianapolis, but not where near as good as the Alamo Dome in San Antonio. In the Gerogia Dome, the sounds quality does suffer. The stadium is kind of flat - meaning the seats do not rise much at each level. As a result, you have to sit pretty high to see the drill well, but you sit fairly far back as a result. Concessions at the stadium were terrible. There were not enough vendors open to accomodate the audience, so lines were hideous. While the domes do have some benefits (i.e., constant temperature, a/c, no wind, lighting is the same for all corps, etc.), I found the negatives outweighed them in the Georgia Dome. I honestly would have preferred watching that regional in the Citris Bowl in Orlando over the Georgia Dome in Atlanta.

atl048.jpg

picture from Atlanta, took by me. I had great seats.

sound quality was great. of course it's a little boomy, and I'd take outdoor drum corps any day, but I strongly reccomend buying tickets.

~>conner