Youngest Div I Marcher

l_fbd79386d00496dd22e8a555c28f0119.jpg

My Emily in SCV 1998...her third year with the corps. She is 16 in this pic.

She actually saw SCV live for the first time in 89. Said she wanted to march with them. Auditioned for the SCV Cadets when she was 9 - but joined when she was 13 in 95-96. We thought she was a bit too young in 91-92 when SCV Cadets toured to Championships with a very 'old' guard. Only did one year with SCV Cadets before they booted her up to the A-corps.

She aged out in 2003 with 8 years in the Vanguard organization.

Proud Mom :worthy:

Edited by MAV

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi MAV! What a beautiful picture of your daughter! It was a privledge to be able to spend some time with her "off the clock" last year with the Renegades. Eight years with SCV...wow! You should be proud!

Don't feel too bad about your birthday.

Mine is July 11th and when I marched that was just as bad as May 31st.

Back then if you turned 22 before finals you couldn't march.

Even worse, they changed the rule to June 1st the year after I aged out.

I feel for you LOL

Lol, thanks. i was wondering when someone would mention that. i was about 5 hours away from getting a bonus year...grrrr. :worthy:

1987 was my first year in Garfield Cadets. It thought I was young when I auditioned (16 but turned 17 before the summer). We had two 13 year olds and one 14 year old in that championship corps. One of these 13 year olds from 1987 also toured with the corps in 1986. The mellophone soloist in 1987 was also a rookie, and 17 years old.

I was 16 my first year.

When I marched there was no minimum.

I know in my 5 years I marched with several 14 year olds.

Unless I am mistaken, I marchjed with a guard girl who aged out in 89 and her rookie year was 78 or 79, something like that.

I know she marched ALOT of years all in the first corps.

I marched with many many kids who did 5 ro6 years in regiment Cadets then 4 or 5 in Regiment.

My son's first year in Regiment (1989) - he was 14, playing the 4th bass. He marched PRC the two years previous and 6 consecutive years in PR afterwards (and did not age out - he could have marched 2 more years in PR). We drove him to weekly PRC rehearsals from Appleton, WI every Sunday from October through move-in...this after his Sunday morning paper route. PR camps involved less travel, but he was driven to all of those as well. Mom and dad volunteered a LOT back then...we all gave up much so he could have this experience and don't regret a minute.

The Cadets had a snare, Steve "Kid" Aleman, who made the line at 12 (1979)....as far as I know he got 4 championship rings....1983, 84, 85, and 87. I don't know if he ever became tall enough to get off of the end of the line (lol)......GB

Don't feel too bad about your birthday.

Mine is July 11th and when I marched that was just as bad as May 31st.

Back then if you turned 22 before finals you couldn't march.

Even worse, they changed the rule to June 1st the year after I aged out.

I feel for you LOL

we had a guy who had to be on our drumline staff in 1984 instead of our snare line because his 22nd birthday was the day of finals. and we were a small corps that had just folded the year before so our season was over 3 days before finals. Even though he petitioned DCI to let hi march they wouldn't, so he had to be on our staff.

I was 12 when I started the 1976 season with Madison (3rd sop.)- the year after their first championship. I was tall and could pass for maybe 14 or 15. Remarkably I wasn't the youngest one in the corps at the time. We had a cymbal player a month or two younger then I. Yes, it was tough mixing with 20 and 21 year-olds at that age. Good thing it doesn't happen these days.

2110259490032437388RXtsUK_ph.jpg

I was the 15 year old with the goatee.