Tour Secretes

Does anyone have any tips on topics not normally talked about that would help any rookies, namely me, survive tour! (ex. getting to sleep in the gym, preventing cramps, what not to eat before marching! etc!) :wub:

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bring a surge-strip with multiple outlets and get close to an outlet if possible in the gym, get a group of friends to be in the same area so one can stake out a sleeping area in each new housing site. Thick blankets for the bus, it gets cold. And think of a crazy/stupid/useful human trick or imitation you can do really well.

well, talking about your old corps or marching band (unless asked about it) is usually a lousy topic to bring up.

And don't talk about how tired you are all the time... :wub:

-Always have sweats on the bus because even if you are in the hottest part of the country, the A.C. is going to be ridiculous in an hour or 2

-Make it a mission to always get noticed in a positive light. I'd rather someone not know me than know that I'm the guy who forgot his drill pages or part of his uniform. If the corps asks you to do a job or something that you don't want to do, do it anyway because it will pay off eventually. Run back to sets, be early to rehearsals, stay late to work on individual licks. This will pay dividends.

-Make note of the things of the vets that are successful in your corps do. Try to emulate them without seeming like a "Super Rookie".

-Wear sunscreen... even if you don't think you need it. Skin cancer doesn't happen to only fairskinned people.

-Don't be on the cell phone too much (if your corps allows it). You are paying a ton of money to march with an elite marching ensemble. Your family and friends will miss you and you them, but calling them on every break is a little much. Hang out with the corps!

-Bring lots of light colored t-shirts... If you need to wear a shirt for rehearsal or a performance, you don't want to be wearing a dark shirt. Most corps have a policy where they want you to have white t-shirts.

-Eat quick and don't have 2nd's before rehearsals. You might seem really hungry at 12:30 for a PB & J, but you are going to be hating it at 1:15 when you are doing breathing block.

-Try to waterproof your backpack and bring trash bags on a roll that go inside your backpack. This helps protect from rain showers. The corps probably won't let you go move your stuff in the event or rain. Also, put all electronics in plastic bags so you don't water damage your IPOD

-Live up the free days. They are few and far between. Hang out with your buddies and eat all the pizza, Mexican food, Italian, and drink all the Coke you can. Don't destroy yourself, but realize that you might only have 3 or 4 chances a summer to act like a typical kid during the summer. Live the high life and then go back the next day ready to bust your tail.

-Do not trash other corps... Ever. ESPECIALLY not in their presence.

-Remember to send thank you's and call those who helped you fulfill the dream of marching drum corps.

-Remember to wash your pillow case and show shirts/underwear on laundry days! This can be easily forgotten.

-Always remember that you represent your organization, not yourself anytime that you travel with your group. You are always performing a role until you get home after finals.

Protein bars are good during Spring Training right before lights out.

32 grams of protein for the first 3 weeks, and you'll notice that you'll have so much more endurance and strength than the rest who don't eat high protein.

Great for Baritone players,

I've been eating them during Spring Training a lot and I really see a difference. (Add with Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich for extra protein) Try to eat as much meat as possible.

Remember when eating a high protein diet you really need to consume a lot of water!

Don't wait till the lights go off to start pumping up your air matress!!!!!!!!!!!!

( !!!!!!!!!! for more emphasis)

Don't overpack. Bring things that you need for tour, not little things that you want. Nothing's worse than having a seat partner that can't sit in their seat because they brought too many things on tour.

When there is turkey for dinner, don't eat too much before the next block.

Don't eat too much at meals in general otherwise you'll feel sick during practice.

Drink lots of water (if the water is brown and disgusting like in Riverside, Texas, and other places, bring those little gatorade packets with you so that it doesn't taste as bad)

Clean up after yourself. The fact that corps need to have people pick up trash (dirt, leaves, etc... are acceptable, but trash!?!?!) is ridiculous. Members in your corps are not there to clean up your mess. Don't make them.

If I think of more I'll post it later. Sorry for the mini rant. Good luck!

GOLD BOND, GOLD BOND, GOLD BOND!!!!!!!!!!!

In 93 in Jackson Mississippi I had heat rash from my knees to my nipples. I was in hell. Except winning div III, that was cool, other than that, I was in hell.