Loudest corps each year?

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude, where do you find all these pictures of cats with random sayings, you have one for like, every possible situation. do you like, photoshop them as needed or is there some vast online "cats in cute situations with texts related to possible forum happenings" community that i am just unaware of.

The cat meme is just another in a long line of internet memes/fads most of which comes from the /b/ forum on 4chan.

You can read about it here.

I just have a handful of the ones I find funniest saved to my hard drive so I can hop on over to imageshack if needed, host it, and then post away.

There's a pretty full listing of meme cats here.

Edited by mistofflies

Yeah, I understand you're upset about that and rightfully so. It is a bit arrogant on my part. I'm not going to reverse that statement because I'm still confident about it, but the reason I made it in the first place was because I was guessing you would come back trying to belittle me and saying how mine and others standards aren't the same level as yours.

Here's the quote from the post I was replying to after stating your rare use of capitalization.

"for those of you denouncing the musicality of drum corps in general, my simple answer is that you havent gotten out of it, what some of the rest of us have. im a much better brass player and musician just because i CAN play with respectable technique on the field while still doing everything that we do visually. when im sitting down and playing, its immeasurably easier, because the techniques are still there. stop sacrificing one for the other, it doesn't need to be that way at all."

The way I read this is that you're implying we haven't gotten what the rest of "you" have. It seems that is in regard to ensemble concepts in drum corps. It's implying we haven't had the training you have and therefore are inferior musicians. That's just how it comes across to me and it's just as arrogant without the bluntness.

im not upset. this is drum corps planet. i havent been upset about anything ive read on here in years. maybe brief unhappiness about hearing about corps folding, but even that doesnt take away from my daily life too much.

you interpreted pretty much the entirety of my post incorrectly, im sorry to say.

as far as that paragraph, it was for the people who've been posting and saying that people who march drum corps arent good musicians/arent better musicians for it. i was simply saying that if you raise your personal standards (while doing anything, for that matter), you can improve whatever youre doing immensely. if you do this in drum corps, youll go home and find that youve improved as a musician; if not physically, than most definitely mentally at the least.

why would i belittle you? i dont know you.

as confident as you may be that youre better at marching and playing than me (seriously, why would you even initally bring that up?), it really doesnt mean very much to me considering neither of us have seen or heard the other. im surprised that you actually think, after surely having seen my posts on here one time or another, that i would honestly respond by telling you that your standards arent as high as mine. thats pretty ridiculous.

I don't read 4chan I just know about it.

And what, are you implying that this board is populated with furries?

I mean, maybe Jared, but other than that....

I KNOW WHAT A FURRY IS AND I AM OFFENDED, MISTER.

i WILL be seeing the flaming lips in just 4 days, and they have people in random animal costumes on stage, dancing along and whatnot. i dont know about them.

And I guess maybe the debate is over but to me, it makes more sense to try to get kids (talking about younger musicians here) to play out and then teach them to control that sound. If you try to teach control without the student having any substance to control, chances are they'll just learn bad habits (choking off the air supply, not being confident, etc.).

Think about it logically: to control, there must be something to be controlled. If you want to pitch like a MLB pitcher, you would have to first develop the strength and then learn to control that strength.

Of course, a lot of that process goes hand in hand. You learn an increment of strength, you learn to control it, and then you learn more strength. But you're constantly pushing your own limits and then trying to control that added ability.

I think drum corps is a great opportunity for young musicians to have a change to play out and expose themselves without worrying too much (at first) about the finer aspects of musicality. Once confidence is established, a good instructor will then gradually chip away the rough edges of all that power and expose the gem hidden beneath.

Fear is the mind killer. Fear of making mistakes is one of the biggest obstacle any musician faces. That fear can be paralyzing. Let's let young musicians have a place where they can makes mistakes freely along the path to excellence.

Jared, Brian, Einstein, et al.:

I think our work here is done.

Ok, it's clear we're all frustrated that our points are not coming across. I feel like every time I make a point it's taken 180 degrees the wrong way and I'm sure y'all do to. It's a simple lack of communication. We're getting all rialed up when it's really not even that big of a deal. Here's how I've seen this thing pan out thus far.

Someone said volume>ensemble concepts.

Someone freaked out on it and commented.

Others freaked out and defended it.

Everyone freaked out and started to read everything black and white and absolutes.

I'm sure no one meant it that way.

There's not doubt that The Cavaliers and Cadets/Phantom/BD have a different approach to brass playing in drum corps. Can we agree on that?

There's not a right or wrong either way, it's all in what people prefer. I think the initial freaking out has lead us all to skimming with a closed mind over the opposing comments.

In what I've argued I've been trying to give the pros and cons to each different approach and then explain why I prefer one or the other. I'm sorry if I made it sound like the other was a dumb way to go about things. It's not, it's just a matter of preference. There isn't a right or wrong. I kept arguing those points because it seemed like they never actually came across. It seemed like my posts were being read like I'm disregarding everything about the other approach, which I'm not at all. Also, I couldn't find any clues in the posts I read that there was any recognition in regards to what I was actually trying to say.

There was one time in the last couple of pages that Jayzer made a comment and I knew he understood what I was talking about. He didn't agree, but he understood somewhat where I was coming from. Therefore, I had no more reason to try to show him my side of things because I knew he could see my side of the story. I could care less if he agrees with me because his opinions is just as valid as mine. I cared that he knew my side of the table.

I feel like I see y'alls side of the approach and if you feel I don't, please try to explain it to me more. But do so in a way that comes across like you can see why there are shortcomings in it, just like mine. I will fully admit the shortcomings of my own philosophy as well as the great things about the other philosophy.

Once again, we're not saying either is right or wrong, it's our own personal judgement. Please don't give up and leave because your information doesn't seem like it's getting through. It feels the same way on our side and I think we're both guilty of ignoring the actual points of some of the comments.