Loudest corps each year?

They aren't? Cause I thought that's how this whole thing got started.

Yeah, you're right. That's how it began, but I think we all weren't clear enough to begin with. I didn't mean for it to seem so night and day at least.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, you're right. That's how it began, but I think we all weren't clear enough to begin with. I didn't mean for it to seem so night and day at least.

I don't think most talk night and day. Of course everything needs to be blended to create a great performance, it's just that we all reacted so wildly when the original volume vs. intonation comment was made.

I love Phantom 03 and 06. And I also love almost every Cavaliers show from this decade (minus 01).

Loudness is awesome, but the beauty of a balanced hornline during a ballad (and any other time during a show) is just as great, IMO. :)

I don't think most talk night and day. Of course everything needs to be blended to create a great performance, it's just that we all reacted so wildly when the original volume vs. intonation comment was made.

Exactly right. And I do think this has eventually made for quite a stirring argument on both sides.

I know those of us that lean more toward the volume side of the argument find the other opinion to be expressing things in black and white. However, we may just be reading into their replies it too much. Question for everyone else. Does it seem like the "volume" side is putting things in black and white as well? Please let us know. and if so, maybe we can communicate a little more efficiently. Knowing where kksop was coming from, I personally found his posts to be a good example of describing what we really meant with out it being black and white. Let us know if you think other wise. Either way, I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on that, the actual viewpoint we've been trying to talk about.

Not to hammer this one thing too many times, but here is the recap from finals last year:

http://dci.org/scores/recap_v2.cfm?event_i...05-37a9478a5e63

Look at the Brass scores for God's sake. At least be intellectually honest and don't defend your argument by talking about how well some corps "get scored" when your's got its ### kicked by the one you would insult.

are you discrediting his argument and the apparent philosophy that appeases him with "your corps got beat?" really? aside from brass technique being a tie with the corps in question, i hate to mention the fact that a group that would most closely emulate his philosophy, um, won it all. or beat ###. pick your poison, i suppose.

are you discrediting his argument and the apparent philosophy that appeases him with "your corps got beat?" really? aside from brass technique being a tie with the corps in question, i hate to mention the fact that a group that would most closely emulate his philosophy, um, won it all. or beat ###. pick your poison, i suppose.

I didn't mention the judges once before that; I really don't care about them. However, someone can support their argument with judges at their own peril, when scores are out there to explicitly prove them wrong. I'm not going to mention judges in a thread talking about why I like PR more than Cavaliers, because that would be nonsensical. It was nonsensical for him to do the same thing.

So yes, if I start talking about how "The Cavaliers' brass playing is ####; no one with their brass philosophy could ever score well" (something I'd obviously never say), then someone could shoot me down with "you guys lost to them." I didn't do that however; he did, and it was an illogical thing to do.

None of this even brings up GE either, which is perhaps an even more telling caption.

Lastly, since you mentioned the overall standings ("won it all"), there is a rather large difference between .35 and 3.675.

First of all, I wouldn't mention the word "capitalization" in any of your posts; that's just setting yourself up.

thats a ridiculous point to make. are you seriously trying to mention the fact that i dont use capital letters when i type as an insult? i used them for about 4 years on dcp, and recently decided that i no longer really felt like it because i dont really use them anywhere else other than formal papers. very weak and completely uneffective "point," sir.

Secondly, it is almost comical to hear you talking about hornlines that are going to be "remembered forever." Sorry bud, a lot of the recent shows which you frequently deride are going to be remembered for a lot longer, and a lot more fondly, than any you have ever marched in.

please give an example of what show i referenced in my post. i didnt even have any in mind, so im quite interested to hear what show i supposedly was trying to take shots at.

also, the ones that youre referring to, you marched. ill probably remember my own show with more fondness than ill remember yours, and im sure the same will be the case in return. why should that surprise me? you did a really interesting job of completely disregarding this whole "perspective" thing that you typed from.

I guess we'll see how much people "truly remember" phantom regiment 03 and 06 in 10 years....

Doesn't seem that suspenseful.

One show per corps is a ##### eh?

what does that have to do with my post at all? did you really just use the fact that a show that i marched was in the classic countdown AGAINST me? i didnt come remotely close to bringing that up earlier.

Not to hammer this one thing too many times, but here is the recap from finals last year:

http://dci.org/scores/recap_v2.cfm?event_i...05-37a9478a5e63

Look at the Brass scores for God's sake. At least be intellectually honest and don't defend your argument by talking about how well some corps "get scored" when your's got its ### kicked by the one you would insult.

hahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahaa. thanks for making my night.

Edited by Jared_mello

Someone earlier stated "you can play with expression while maintaining balance and complete intonation." The CSO can do it. The Cavaliers can't, though they try.

So are you going to refute my argument or what?

So are you going to refute my argument or what?

Heh, Phantom Regiment and Cavaliers both have shortcomings. It's just a matter of values as far as which shortcomings matter more. If you don't want to see that, that's up to you. If you want to act like the Cavaliers don't have shortcomings related to their amazing control (just as PR has some related to it's extraordinary volume), that is up to you. It seems obvious that some people are too closeminded to acknowledge any view but their own though, and any argument to the contrary on here is pointless.

Edited by Loud-is-good

Crossmen 2003 end of show with the 10 snares on racks with crash cymbals and the hornline just blowin'. Very loud ending to show.

BackBeat

yeah the hornline was 'blowin' alright.... :doh: oh this was suppose to be nice?? im kidding, i really did like that show though!! :doh: