MCA Harrisburg - Review and a little more

Thank you for you nice comments Brassman.

We had fun doing the show. I saw a lot of old friends and made some new ones!

The MCA show itself was very well organized. Nice job to those involved with the planning and execution.

The only issue I had as a performer was that we were originally told we would receive a score for our performance. I saw a master sheet being passed around after the show when walking to dinner, and saw Capital Brass got a 1 point penalty :( , but no other score was shown :rolleyes:. I guess at a minimum I would like to know what the 1 point penalty was for just in case we do this again. I did see the judges sheets and they were very helpful and made a lot of great suggestions for us. I am just wondering what the 1 point penalty was about -- was it the tuba we used, just don't know for sure? No one I talked to really knew. Some thought maybe "talking" during the performance was an issue...the tuba...just don't know.

The evening Alumni show was very very good too. I loved watching the drum major from the Yankee Rebels --- boy he is good. I am sorry I don't know his name. All the performers were great!

Great weekend. Hope everyone got home okay -- I-87 was bad North of Kingston --- lots of cars off the road. I-787 was even worse. Guess everyone put their plows away early :blink:

b**bs

....my guess would be tuba.....to be classified as a Bugle it must be a forward facing Bell.....

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are the scores in order of placement from the 1st MCA Invitational:

1 - 86.25 - West Sayville Golden Eagles

2 - 82.75 - Mass Brass (1 point penalty)

3 - 81.25 - Ghost Riders

4 - 79.75 - Amoskeag Sound

5 - 76.50 - Crossmen Xtreme

6 - 74.50 - Lambertville Volunteers

Just curious but, who were the judges? DCA, Independent, paid/non-paid? How many? Were DCA I&E rules followed or, does MCA have their own set?

Thanks,

Andy

Just curious but, who were the judges? DCA, Independent, paid/non-paid? How many? Were DCA I&E rules followed or, does MCA have their own set?

Thanks,

Andy

Judges

Frank Dorrittee - San Francisco, CA

Dave Martin - Rochester, NY

Jeff Weir - Annapolis, MD

Dave Rohrer - Carlisle, PA

Timing and Penalties

Dr. Tom Corso - Chicago, IL

Larry H handled assembling the panel, 2007 DCA rules and sheets were used,......................

Once again, scheduling circumstances caused us to miss our group pic opportunity.

Anyone out there get any pics of CB! they'd be willing to share?

Tom,

Our offer is still open if we ever cross paths again. Advantage of having a professional photographer if our group. We barely had time to get a picture in for us.

Nice Job!

Dave

Amoskeag sound would like to thank everyone involved in making this even happen: Larry H & his crew @ 5star, MCA, & the guys from The Thunderbirds to ran the contest, this event wouldn't have been successful without all the work they put in.

More importantly thanks to the other corps (competitive or exhibition) who came out and put on an awesome show, and to all the folks who came and watched.

Our corps had a blast, we performed well, the crowd seemed to get into what we were doing, which was really cool. The judges gave us great feedback on what was working and where to improve. Except for one guy in our group (not me), this was our fist time seeing mini-corps in action. We really learned a lot & it was great meeting our "peers" in other corps.

Only thing that would have made the whole thing better would have to have seen Steel City, X-men, CB & LV.

We're making plans for Rochester, hopefully you'll hear a new song added to our show & we'll be even more entertainingl

If anyone is interested in filling out our 'mini' corps we'd love to add some more horns for Rochester. PM me.

Thanks everyone!

B)

Thank you to everyone who helped make the inauguaral MCA contest such a huge success.

Congratulations to the Golden Eagles on their win. Also, kudos to all of the performing corps. Your hard work was evident in the high quality of your respective performances.

Great job ALL!

Strutta

Mass Brass & MCA PR

Big Congrats to Amoskeag Sound........ Looks like they may fill up those open spots fast.... I just got home from hospital with carpal Tunnel surgery so all I can play is a one-handed cymbal. Hey Dave L, was "Big" John B there?? Keep up the good work, wish I was there.

Strutta.... I would give you guys congrats but the Man-Gods of Massachusetts only accept free drinks ......

PS: Mary says hi!!!

Congrats to all of the MCA corps for an oustanding show on Saturday.

Missed seeing the first couple corps' who were on before us, but WOW....

... have we got something here!!!

You also gotta give credit to the guys who got the ball rolling and conceived of this idea in the first place. They look pretty smart NOW, don't they?

Good luck the rest of the year.

Edited by brassomaniac

It's going to be a great year, all the mini corps sounded AWESOME, plus the event was tons of fun! I can't wait till Rochester!