Unique Opportunity for SCV and BD

Taking my lunch break -- thinking about the 2007 season – I’m ready!

Sorry if this has be discussed before ...

Thought about the unique opportunity that :rolleyes: The Santa Clara Vanguard and the :blink: Concord Blue Devils have this season – to win a World Championship in their regional/home state.

With 2007 Championships located west of the Rockies for the first time ever, what do you folks think of the pressure it places on the two corps?

Cavies have won a championship in the Midwest -- Madison.

Cadets have won a championship in the Northeast -- Boston.

Madison Scouts won a championship in the Midwest – Kansas City.

I’m sure both corps views it as just another run for the title, but this is different – when will Championships be out west again? The off year in Indy?

Thoughts?

Considering that these corps are made up of kids from all over the country, and that they're trained to march their shows the same way no matter if it's for a huge show in their home state or in front of five folks in the bleachers in the middle of nowhere, I doubt there will be any unique pressure here.

Blue Devils have a shot to win, probably not SCV though. They came back stronger last year, but I really see no way that they rocket themselves into contention for a championship, just yet.

They've done it before.

1980: 7th place

1981: 1st place

And, what with the "free agent" system of membership, it's actually easier to replenish talent these days after a down year. If SCV has a strong core of returning vets with a sprinkling of talented newbies thrown in for good measure and a topping of excellent show design, they could surprise a lot of people this year.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Considering that these corps are made up of kids from all over the country, and that they're trained to march their shows the same way no matter if it's for a huge show in their home state or in front of five folks in the bleachers in the middle of nowhere, I doubt there will be any unique pressure here.

Well, I mean, in a perfect world... but I'd venture to say almost everyone here, no matter how hard consistency is drilled into our heads, gets a a little extra fire when they play for a home crowd.

The NY Yankees are made up of "kids" from all over, but they still want to win when they're in New York. Same thing with SCV and BD. They come from nowhere - they come from everywhere - but they're going to want this one like a cat wants a mouse.

They've done it before.

1980: 7th place

1981: 1st place

And, what with the "free agent" system of membership, it's actually easier to replenish talent these days after a down year. If SCV has a strong core of returning vets with a sprinkling of talented newbies thrown in for good measure and a topping of excellent show design, they could surprise a lot of people this year.

i stand corrected... good point :)