Drum Corps parties

How many great parties were there back in the old days? Back when we were in corps, we'd go to a house party after rehearsal. I guess it would be hard to do since most corps members come from out of town.

How many times did I ask my Mom for "a couple of dollars to pay for the chips and soda!" Yeah right!

I remember a graduation party in 1976 that my Dad took a bunch of us to and he was suppose to pick up some ice, which I volunteered to carry in since I didn't want him to take me back home when he saw the keg of beer. The host asked my Dad if he wanted a beer and said "Sure!" Oh boy was I worried. My Dad left and nothing was said. I had a wonderful time as usual with two girls and then my cousin drove me home around 3 am. My parents tried to wait up for me because they knew I was going to be drinking. They fell asleep and I woke up just fine a few hours later.

Anyone one have a memories?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in 1984 when we were still pretty much a weekend corps. My parents went away for a week and that just happened to be the week the corps was in town learning drill rewrites. so every night after practice about 15-20 people rolled back to my place for the week long after practice party. Needless to say by the end of the week there was nothing in the house to eat so alot of the guys were drinking a couple beers for breakfast before heading to practice. those were some long practices that week.

My Mom did a spaghetti party that was well attended and everyone loved my mom's cooking. I don't believe I drank then.

The parties I went to after practice and/ or shows were not based around food and drink, (well, there was always something to drink!) :sshh:

VK = Huntington State Beach, across from the Edison power plant. Hopefully a tradition that will carry over to the new corps.

Garry in Vegas

New Years Eve 1976, I had a party at my parents house for the corps. I had the usual cool cuts, buns and all that stuff. I would that 3/4 of the corps showed up and everyone had a great time. At midnight the guys ran around and tried to kiss as many girls as we could. I had a Texas Mickey of Canadian Club and there was only a dent into that, which surprized me.

Most of the guys came to the front door like I told them to, except for two guys that thought they would be funny and come to the back door. Well, when I saw them going to the back of the house, I ran to the back door to see what was about to happen. With four other people trying to see out the back window, as they came around the corner of the house my German Shepard/Colloie cross dog took off out the garage door after them. b**bs b**bs One guy ran around to the front of the house and the other guy, not a track athlete, hurdled the four foot fence that ran beside our house.

There was a good amount of booze there but most of the kids either took cabs home or had other means of getting home. I made sure that no minors had drank but it wouldn't surprize me if one or two of them did. No one passed out or got sick in the house. I spent from two to three o'clock cleaning the house and then went to bed.

Edited by ODBC

The parties I went to after practice and/ or shows were not based around food and drink, (well, there was always something to drink!) :sshh:

What kind of parties were they???

Back in the day, the Blue Stars was a corps that worked and played hard - especially their staff. The first time I saw Star Wars was in a LaCrosse theater with the corps and the staff. When that opening statement hit in the opening, the kids went nuts! The next day, they were begging the staff to somehow put Star Wars in the show. The Blue Stars playing Star Wars - that would've been cool. Didn't happen, though.

They usually had a couple of Spring Camps at Whitewater. Moe Latour would drive up from New Orleans in May with a cooler full of fresh shrimp. From what my brother told me, that was quite a staff party.

After finals in 1977, my brother and I were invited to the Blue Stars housing site at Colorado School of Mines for a party that lasted until sunrise. What a blowout!

Finally, my brother, a friend of ours from the Kilties and I made a road trip in 1980 to a show in Cary, NC as part of our personal Nationals tour. When we pulled into town, we bought a 12 pack and went to the high school for the show. There was the Blue Stars horn line in front of the school in a rehearsal arc. We rolled down the windows, hung out our beers and said hello from Wisconsin. Dr. Dave walked over, asked us where we got the beers, gave us some cash, and asked us to buy beer for the staff. In return, we got to bed down in the dorms with the corps. We saw a great show and had a fine time with the staffs of the Blue Stars and Crossmen.

Great memories! I will always have a soft spot in my heart for that corps for being so welcoming to us. To this day, whenever I see Dr. Dave (usually at DCA), I always offer him one of my beers. I owe him.

Back in the day, the Blue Stars was a corps that worked and played hard.

There used to be a pre-tour party called the "Puker," complete with T-shirts and a King and Queen:

post-3-1175395270.jpg

in 71..I would have the entire guard spend the night at my house a few days before the NE circuit championships! 20 something girls spending the night was a treat for my brother.... :doh: we called them LP parties ....my dad and bro would make breakfast for all of us then off to rehearsal we went. Needless to say we were dragging at the practice field....

you know that saying ..what goes on in Vegas..stays in Vega??? let's leave it at that.

hmmm my dad was oblivious ^0^