What if it were reversed?

I thought SCV's major tear came in 1982 during the surprise Bottle Dance, not 1981.

It was 82, but the tick system was still in use until 84, wasn't it?

It was 82, but the tick system was still in use until 84, wasn't it?

Actually, 1983 was the last year. That's why the scores jumped so much from '83 to '84. In fact, it's possible that Garfield's West Side Story show might not have happened without the scoring system change.

Actually, 1983 was the last year. That's why the scores jumped so much from '83 to '84. In fact, it's possible that Garfield's West Side Story show might not have happened without the scoring system change.

The show itself??? Explain, please....

I thought SCV's major tear came in 1982 during the surprise Bottle Dance, not 1981.

it WAS 82...watch the vid and you can see Zap lose teh count when he throws his aussie down....but it was after teh 11:30 gun, so no harm to teh score.

it WAS 82...watch the vid and you can see Zap lose teh count when he throws his aussie down....but it was after teh 11:30 gun, so no harm to teh score.

That and the 89 BD solo were the biggest tears in recorded finals history methinks.

A guy I knew who marched BD in 82 told me that BD was happy when SCV pulled out the Bottle Dance for finals because that meant they were desparate. I guess he was right. I wonder how it would have come out if SCV had nailed it.

I'll play devil's advocate, Fran. Argonne's hornline was indeed wonderful and I was honored to have worked with Brian Pennington in Belleville. Their drum line, however, was a perpetual train wreck that unfortunately, but rightly, kept the corps in the 2nd tier. I wonder if their drum problems would have been overlooked in today's environment? I suspect they would.

This does not seem likely given last year's experience with Crown who also had quite a disparity between their horn and drum lines. Much to the consternation of the crowd, this kept them in the second tier.

Everything I've been told while in the organization (and from some of the original designers of that show) indicates that that show was designed under the premise that they would be competing under the tick system. The change didn't effect the design at all. I guess they were just Gutsy/Nutso :)

• 2 weeks later...
Fran,

Is it true that since the elimination of the tick system of judging, the winners of DCI Prelims have always won (or tied) for DCI Finals? If so, isn't that an interesting statistic? :)

Don't know if you're just referring to Division I, but in both Division II & III in 2005, the winners of Prelims were not the winners at Finals (Grand Finals whatever stupid name they choose to call it). East Coast Jazz technically did not win Prelims because the Spartans received a penalty, putting them in 2nd place even though the judges had them in 1st. ECJ ultimately ended up taking the Division II title. In Division III, Taipei Yuehfu came in 1st in Prelims and were then beaten by the Raiders in Finals.

That and the 89 BD solo were the biggest tears in recorded finals history methinks.

A guy I knew who marched BD in 82 told me that BD was happy when SCV pulled out the Bottle Dance for finals because that meant they were desparate. I guess he was right. I wonder how it would have come out if SCV had nailed it.

It would have come out the same. BD was still the better corps that night in their overall performance.

I saw SCV's tape from their 82 finals performance. It was shot from the around the press box. When the bottle dance started the crowd was so loud in the stands that there was no possible way to hear the music from the field.