Rosemont Mayor Passes

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In 1981 the Cavaliers were very close to folding, due to financial difficulties. Mayor Stephens made the decision to provide the corps with much needed funding, office space, storage garages for vehicles, fuel during the summer, etc.

We also got to practice in the parking lot of the Rosemont Horizon:

Rosemont%20Horizon%20Marquee.jpg

Please, let's allow his family bury him first before we start speculating on what this means to The Cavaliers.

I'm sure the corps management has anticipated the day when Mayor Stephens would no longer be around.

Yes ! A respectful time lapse would be a good thing before repercussions concerning the Cavaliers are addressed...

Of interest, Rosemont was founded in 1956. Mayor Stephens has been the ONLY mayor the town has ever had. Rosemont is smaller than many people expect. The 2000 census states that only 4,224 people live there, making the town one of the smallest to have a Division I corps (perhaps the smallest?). It's only 1.7 square miles in size.

What made Rosemont what it became is this little thing at its front door named O'Hare Airport.

:angel:

Donald Stephens made Rosemont.

It could easily have turned into another one of those airport towns on Mannheim Rd., like Franklin Park with hourly rates motels, strip clubs and adult bookstores on every corner.

But that's to his vision, Rosemont is an entertainment and convention mecca. Lots of great restaurants too.

RIP Mr. Stephens. A job well done.

Edited by Lucy65

Mayor Stephens sounds as if he was one of those rare politicians that genuinely cared about and wanted to help and serve the people of his city instead of just saying what they want to hear. I wish there were more like that. He should be an example to politicians everywhere.

Mayor Stephens, thank you for what you did for our drum corps community by suporting the Cavaliers, you made a difference. God Speed to you and prayers of support to your family and your community.

Mayor Stephens was truly a man to represent the people. Rosemont started out as a developmental site. no local water, or electricity. So after Mayor Stephens took office, when chicago was planning to build O'Hare, Chicago needed part of Rosemont for the Airway. And being the business genius, he negotiated to get Sewage and Water, provided by chicago, and the same for electricity. but the cictizens did not have to pay chicago fees, just Rosemont fees.

just a lil fact I learned from Mr. Fiedler one day when he was giving me a history lesson.

God bless you Mr. Stephens.