Making the case for brass in WGI

Brass  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Should WGI allow brass instruments?

• Yes.

We've come to a point where winter drumlines have progressed to the point where drums, electronics, guitars, and synths just aren't doing it anymore. It's too restrictive. The activity is moving this way anyhow, with groups like the Blue Knights doing indoor brass anyhow. It's time to expand the instrumentation so that writers can have more choices. Let WGI have brass. That way, they can carry a melody.

:ramd:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean, why don't they?

Maybe winterguard is a much better medium for what some want out of Drum Corps (uninhibited theatrical pageantry). I don't see any reason for there not being brass. They could even start performing on a football field and have lots of brass. I probably still wouldn't be that interested as long as there are acoustic drum and bugle corps around to play.

I'm being totally serious... really.

We've come to a point where winter drumlines have progressed to the point where drums, electronics, guitars, and synths just aren't doing it anymore. It's too restrictive. The activity is moving this way anyhow, with groups like the Blue Knights doing indoor brass anyhow. It's time to expand the instrumentation so that writers can have more choices. Let WGI have brass. That way, they can carry a melody.

I think adding a "Brass Theatre" classification would be a good idea. I wouldn't make it madatory for all classifications to do this. But if a group were to use brass, or woodwinds... They should be classified in another classification. I do think such a thing is coming though, maybe not now, but these "Brass Theatre" groups are starting to form in many high schools too.

I've seen winterguards use instrumentalist in their shows--I can not remember the name of the guard, but I saw one recently that had a bassoon soloist as part of the show--and years ago, a guard used vibes in their show. I do not think there are any restrictions at this point, so technically I think groups could get away with using brass or whatever--it just wouldnt be "judged".

As for winter perc. groups not having a melody--that is what the keyboard instruments are used for (or should be used for).

While we're at it... why should WGI be constrained to a basketball court inside? There's all this room on football fields... maybe WGI should be held in a football stadium for percussion. That way they can be outside where the drums sound better... and then the brass would be able to expand a little more. Why everyone thinks WGI should be in a boom-y echo-y gymnasium is beyond me.

Ya... WGI, with brass, and out of the gym. Maybe even a little crossover with some guard tossed in the mix. That would be very cool. It sounds like it would be a lot of fun... but it would still have the intensity of winter drumline, so it would still be winter drums in my mind.

I'm going to vote no.

Once you have more then a few horns in a gym setting the echo will distort the sound quality too much. If you put it on a stage it's basically an amateur version of Blast. Much like how most everyone wants to keep woodwinds out of drum corps, brass should be kept out of WGI. That's where guard and percussion get to shine on their own.

Also on the "lack" of melody in percussion. As mentioned in above posts thats what the keyboard instruments are for. And if you listen to battery books written by some of the best such as Jim Casella you'll know that those instruments can carry a melody as well. Listen to the battery book he wrote for SCV in 2003.

Edited by AQFlamDrag

I'm going to vote no.

Once you have more then a few horns in a gym setting the echo will distort the sound quality too much. If you put it on a stage it's basically an amateur version of Blast. Much like how most everyone wants to keep woodwinds out of drum corps, brass should be kept out of WGI. That's where guard and percussion get to shine on their own.

Also on the "lack" of melody in percussion. As mentioned in above posts thats what the keyboard instruments are for. And if you listen to battery books written by some of the best such as Jim Casella you'll know that those instruments can carry a melody as well. Listen to the battery book he wrote for SCV in 2003.

How did I know that somebody would miss this one?

I would love to hear drums and brass at WGI.

But, I think it would hurt all drum corps with winter and spring camps.

Drum Corps instructors and members performing in WGI shows every weekend

How did I know that somebody would miss this one?

Because you missed the humor in what I said? I'm not sure anyone else will see it, so nevermind.