BK's visual style

BK's visual style  

181 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like BK's visual style?

• Yes
    • No
    • Meh

Okay, so we all know that the blue knights have a unique take on movement. It's definitely different from the norm, and folks tend to be a bit divided over it. So, what do you think about it? Are you a fan, or no? Discuss pros and cons, please!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I assume he's referring to the fact that they use more body movement and choreography within the corps proper than just about anyone else. Personally, I love BK. I love that they're so unique, that they have a character distinct from anyone else. The choreography fits right in to that, along with the darker music that I always enjoy.

He's not talking about the choreography (plenty of corps do, or have done, as much choreography in their show as BK). What he's specifically talking about is the actual visual technique. Anyone who's marched the technique feel free to completely correct, but the lower body is really really loose, their forward march is almost like a passe. That might be the wrong term for it, but basically they look like horses, which suits their name obviously.

Also there's the knee pop step off thing.

On one hand it's cool and unique and works for them on. On the other hand, I just find it way too feminine and fluid for something like drum corps, but that all just boils down to personal tastes and whatnot.

Edited by Einstein On The Beach

I have some involvement with BK’s visual program and I‘d be happy to answer questions. Some visual elements that I consider uniquely BK include the use of the knee pop before step-offs, use of hand painted silks for all of their flags, the bent leg style with which they march (different than the cavaliers if you compare them), and the heavy use of choreography by all members of the corps. Yes, other corps use choreography but we utilize it as a mainstay. Our horn and guard in particular spend a considerable amount of time learning modern dance as part of their training program. I also think that the drill writing of Rob Billings has a unique feel to it.

The inspiration for the marching technique was actually rehabilitative medicine, specifically the way in which people re-learn to walk at a Denver area center. It is of course stylized to be very dance oriented but any BK member will tell you that marching is a form of dance to begin with. We certainly try to make it look very fluid like.

I know that BK’s visual program is not without it’s critics but I also know that the members and staff themselves are very passionate about the BK identity. We choose to look a certain way because we enjoy the look ourselves. We may never be the popular team, but we get our injoyment out of the art itself.

I personally find it too distracting, I have started to like their music more in the last couple of years. I continous moving of body parts is too unnatural. The silks. on the other hand, are the most unique in the activity, some years the colors don't always compliment the show but that can be said of most of the corps. There's little doubt that you can identify BK from its style. Now if they would just get a uniform which would set them apart from the pact. Long live the dots!

I love uniqueness in any fashion, so YES I like BK's marching style. The dark music isn't for me, but the visual package is great. p.s. YES to bringing back the dots, or at least a unique style uni.

In a fast tempo, it's an interesting technique and a good way to subdivide. But at a slow tempo/ small steps, both the bicycle step and the heel lift are a bit out there. It seems like one of those things that started in a march camp 20 years ago that just stayed and it became tradition like the Cadets horn lift.