Favorite Freelancer year?

Favorite Freelancer Year  

85 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite year of the Freelancers

Since there is a thread in the Div II/III forum centered around "favorite years of VK", I thought I would start a similar thread on VK's nemesis corps here. Vote for your all time favorite year of Freelancers and then post come comments regarding some of the years that stand out in your mind.

Since I can't come up with anything original, I am going to rip my friend Ryan H. Turner off and use emoticons to comment on the above years.

I'll start with the 80s...

- 1981 :)

- 1982 b**bs

- 1983 :ph34r:

- 1984 :ph34r:

- 1985 :spit: :wink:

- 1986 (folded) :tic:

- 1987 (back) :peek:

- 1988 :wink:

- 1989 b**bs

- 1990 :wall::ph34r:

- 1991 :ph34r::beer:

- 1992 :wink: :wink:

- 1993 :huh2:

- 1994 :wink:

My vote will be for 1991 (a little biased perhaps but oh well).

Edited by torn8o

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta go for '91 as well. Hell of a hornline - it was an honor to stand in front of them (although I probably never told them that)

1989. I was not familiar with the Freelancers when I saw them perform the show (I think I first saw it in Nebraska?) Blew me away. So cool...especially the opening thing. Loved the music (and I'm not a big John Williams fan, usually). Cadillac of the Skies? Heck yeah.

I thought they were astounding. I thought for sure they would make finals--got some comments to the contrary from some vets I marched with, but whatever. They made it, and they earned it. Great show.

Second would be 91--the whole thing was great. Did that show have a theme? Vaughan Williams, Bartok, Back to the Future soundtrack, and "Bells"? Still a sweet show...great sop soloist. And the drum major sang along?!

But 89 was the year I became a Freelancers fan.

Whatever year they did the Batman thing ... very cool show.

I :wink: the Freelancers!

1982 was my favorite year - the music was pounding and then gorgeous. THAT GUARD! I knew many of them from Avatar and between the cool uni and double rifles and well...it just rocked. Had to laugh at the drill though. Contras staging down time on the front sidelines. My, how times have changed. Of course the Tower of Power year was a close second.

And what year (in the 90's sometime) had that hyper DM who BOUNCED like crazy on the podium? A real character who probably could find his calling in DCA.

Miss miss miss them.

Whatever year they did the Batman thing ... very cool show.

90. A lot of great shows didn't make finals.

Nobody shake their heads but for me, on an emotional level, 1987 is easily my favorite year of the Freelancers...why ?? Because they came back !! They are so underrated and overlooked in 87. A solid, large corps doing adventures in time and Born again ? How can you go wrong. I also want to add 1983 to that list for the simple reason of such an outstanding colorguard. Work in the OTL alone was superior to most corps that year. I then chose 84 because that corps was HUGE !! Huge, wide open drill, awesome, loud sound, TOP OTL was HOT !! Guard was also hot this year and I loved the couples work in "Born again" I then pick 85 because of the beautiful Colombier repetoir and I happened to like those uniforms !

I loved 89 for the same reasons as 84, wide open, huge drill and sound, but prefered 88's otl over 89's.

90 Batman OTL was outstanding and a s tunning visual effect was provided by the guard and the "bat wings" , and 91, solid, in your face drum corps with such a cute guard, mature brass and percussion, the return of "bells" and such a great look on the field. I loved the 92 Walton show and am probably the only one (besides 128 kids from Sacramento) that thought they were far better than Glassmen. Such color in that show.

93 and 94 were still very good shows, especially 94 and their outstanding colorguard.

~G~

sigh.....I miss Freelancers, one of my top ten favorite corps of all time.

I :wink: the Freelancers!

1982 was my favorite year - the music was pounding and then gorgeous. THAT GUARD! I knew many of them from Avatar and between the cool uni and double rifles and well...it just rocked.

I couldnt remember if their winter affiliation was Avatar or Sparks...Thanks !!

I also loved 1982 and the curved poles in "Even now" and the "we got something you're really going to like".............................."And here it is" !!!!

~G~