Favorite Freelancer year?

Favorite Freelancer Year  

85 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite year of the Freelancers

A VERY VERY close edge to 1984 over '83. Starting with the ToP announcement of "Live from Sacramento... the Freelancers!" from the corps and then going into Power Suite/What Is Hip is one of my favorite show openers ever.

However, Even Now ("We've got something you're really gonna like... here it is!") is one of my favorite closers. Carl was also one of my favorite DM's

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

88. It was so good to see them back solid, plus it was my age-out year, and I got to know their DM very well. AJ. A good guy. Plus, they had that saw-tooth bit in the show, which rocked. It always seemed like Free was in the lot about six hours ahead of their step-off time. That shows good road planning.

1985 I'm partial to, that's the first year I saw them live, fell in love with Immanuel & Bells. The tubular bells just set me off! :)

Didn't see them live again until 1990, and that show was just a little too dark for my tastes then. The "bat wings" were cool though.

1989 was a good year too.

1983 for me.

Great show with some wonderful music, great soprano soloist and a fantastic drum major. 1981 and 1982 were good building years up to this for me. 1984 was a great show as well.

May I say at this time that I miss Freelancers uniforms. They were great with the color red (rich and deep) and the white cuff folded over to stand out. Very classy.

anyone who knows me knows I'm one o fthe 2 voting for 93!!!!!

but frankly, 89-93 are all a close race for first in my opinion.

(and yes, that IS a 93 Freelancer guard uni in my avatar!!!!) :P

Edited by Guard Diva

88. It was so good to see them back solid, plus it was my age-out year, and I got to know their DM very well...

I always thought Freelancers had a great show in 88. I can remember they had some pretty tasty horn parts that year too. I remember standing on the side watching them at Drums Along The Rockies waiting for retreat (back then still at Mile High Stadium) and really loving the big rolling arrangement of "Yoda's Theme". The soloist was awesome that night, great big fat sound.

The opener was from the scene in E.T. when the kids sneak E.T. out and then end up flying their bikes through the sky. The corps came off the line doing some hissing type stuff and some kinda horn visuals. Fairly simple by today's standards, but back then it was memorable, IMO. There was this fiery energy about the corps. Then the hornline completely opened up into a huge impact of the E.T. main theme. It was pretty cool. B) (It's been quite a while since I've heard any hornline let loose like that.)

Coming from someone who grew up with the more recent drum corps decade, I have to say I am a big fan of 1976. The hornline was awesome and the drum parts smoked as well - tenors much? One of my top three shows from all of the 1970's. I also love (and voted for) 1991 The horn line was hot, (as was the guard :ph34r: ) ballad is genius (Genius!). So that (among other things :wink: ) is why it got my vote. Wish I could have seen them live. Wish I could see Don Silva in action in his "hayday" I keep hearing stories. Those never get old.

Edited by frontline99

1989 was great. LOVE ET.

1991 was great also...

Were the Freelancers the ones who did Camelot? I can't remember... maybe that was in 1991... hhmmm I'll have to go back and watch my dvds..