Disrespect Between Members of Different Eras

By your post, I didn't think you're an elitist, but I just wanted to make you aware of how it made you sound and how one stray comment can derail an otherwise good point. It just came across as a backhanded way to needle the current generation. I don't know...maybe we all just need to get thicker skins. Hey, I played the "illegitmates" too. I like them and I too used to cringe when the uninformed would call a sop a trumpet.

My point is, even when you and I were marching, it technically wasn't drum and BUGLE corps when you consider that a contra or a baritone bugle is nothing like what Custer's cavalry went to battle with. Anything other than a straight bugle could be considered by some to be a bastardization of the instrument. I have my own worries about drum corps and it's future, but I guess I just want to say that no generation has a monopoly on the heart, passion, commitment, and love for this great activity.

You want to know something really funny ? We would spend hours trying to TUNE OUR HORNS !!!!

OH, those fun days !!

Medeabrass, when we meet someday, I think we should find a bar that serves really good cold beer and sit back and talk about the Good Old Days !!

You'll buy the first round of course !! :blush::angry::rock::doh:

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You want to know something really funny ? We would spend hours trying to TUNE OUR HORNS !!!!

OH, those fun days !!

Medeabrass, when we meet someday, I think we should find a bar that serves really good cold beer and sit back and talk about the Good Old Days !!

You'll buy the first round of course !! :blush::angry::rock::doh:

Done deal...anytime you're in the Houston area, let me know. I'll be at SA for DCI Southwest as well...Shiner Bock!!!!mmmmmmmmm

Done deal...anytime you're in the Houston area, let me know. I'll be at SA for DCI Southwest as well...Shiner Bock!!!!mmmmmmmmm

Ah, well, my drum corps show going to is very limited this year. We don't get too many drum corps in these here northern parts of the continent, BUT I WILL be in Indianapolis for next years finals...maybe we can meet up there and throw a few back !!

Maybe we can find some NON watered down Molson Canadien, now that's beer !!

:blush::angry::rock::doh::doh::doh::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:

Edited by ODBC

It took me the better part of 20 years to learn about where drum corps came from and all the great shows that came before me. Although, current members have better resources at their fingertips ... I'd venture to say with confidence that they have no clue what went on before them other than a very few select shows.

I own the entire Legacy Collection and have since before I ever marched. In fact, the only year of DCI that I don't own is 2002. So yeah. I've seen my fair share of old school drum corps. Madison 75 was one of th first 5-10 shows I ever heard.

I still prefer more modern drum corps to that of the 70s, but it has nothing to do with ignorance. It's just a personal decision/preference I've come to after watching hours of video.

Ah, well, my drum corps show going to is very limited this year. We don't get too many drum corps in these here northern parts of the continent, BUT I WILL be in Indianapolis for next years finals...maybe we can meet up there and throw a few back !!

Maybe we can find some NON watered down Molson Canadien, now that's beer !!

:blush::angry::rock::doh::doh::doh::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:

Sounds good. I plan on attending now finals that it's going to be in Indy. It'll be a homecoming of sorts for me.

Count me in on the Shiner--I'll get the second round!

1.) Modern cars suck--no character. So young guys probably recognize a Stingray for what it is--a thing of sheer beauty!

2.) We were called crap in the 90's, too. Same folks. I find it funny--DC's found it necessary to leave the VFW, and now all of those folks do nothing but gripe about what their corps became. Ironic, huh? I'm sure that somewhere there is a former VFW D&BC chairman buried and in the ground whose tombstone reads, "DCI sucks!" Probably first time that phrase was ever heard. The 70's are gone. Enjoy what DC is, or go get stoned and leave the rest of us alone.

3.) I, personally, prefer an activity that moves at 200 beats per minute and plays really difficult, intellectually-stimulating stuff to an activity that stands still for 3 minutes and plays Malaguena every other show. I also like to listen to an entire symphony on recording, so disregard my opinion if I'm just a loser. But long after Chuck Mangione and you are long forgotten there will still be Beethoven. Long after Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr join John Lennon and George Harrison, having not been taught in the finest conservatories in the world, Bach will still influence directly every single pop, jazz, rock, and classical artist in the western world. So I'll take my knocks.

4.) Just a funny thought I had a while back about NASCAR and DC. Isn't it funny to see how a bunch of Rednecks can be so loyal to "their guy" and how "anti" "their guy's" rival they can be? Kind of resembles DC, doesn't it? Scary.

Better look to your left and right people--pretty soon one or the other of your corps is going away and you'll have to be rooting for the "other guy's" corps. When it happens, PM me and I'll tell you I told you so!

Interesting topic. I have to wonder what would happen between NFL players of different eras if at some point they changed the NFL rules to no-contact flag football. Or what if major league baseball changed the rules of the game to resemble slow pitch soft ball. How would the retired players feel about the young players and vice versa? Flag football is no less challenging a sport if you push it to the limit. It just has different physical requirements. But, there is bound to be a disconnect there. The values aren't the same. Would the tackle football players respect the flag guys? Would the flag guys reject the tackle guys for being unnecessarily brutal? Is it even the same game anymore? A group hug or kumbaya is always nice, but is that realistic?

Drum corps is like a fraternity in some ways. We all go through a long rough initiation to be in the alumni club. That bonds us all. But, while certainly any corps season is grueling as ever in it's own way, the experience of today is so different than it was, is it really the same club? What if to join the frat I had to scrub the floor with a toothbrush, but you had a bake sale instead? We've lost a certain aspect of commonality. We are still brothers, but I am MORE brothers with those who had like experiences, who had to scrub the floor with a toothbrush like me. We don't have any bake sale stories to share.

I have tremendous respect for anyone who pulls off a great performance of any kind. I don't care if you are a violinist or a plumber. Good work is good work. So, even though the current DCI game is different, I still respect the good, sometimes truly great, performances of DCI corps and regard them as some of the highest quality performance in the world, bar none. But, the game is not a game that I enjoy as much as I used to.

While each of us marched, we thought about where we would like to see drum corps go in the future. I can't count the times we talked about it. Every one does it. When that evolution goes in a direction other than what we hoped for, we disconnect. It's true of every era. It's not that people don't want corps to evolve. They wants corps to evolve toward their own taste. When that doesn't happen, some are disappointed.

Some people prefer Fred Biletnikoff catching balls in the 70's with defenders all over him, stickem and all. Some prefer Randy Moss because he knows how to draw a pass interference penalty in the end zone. Both are great players, but they play a different game. Do they fully respect each other? Judging from Randy Moss' poor production and begging for a trade from the Raiders, with Fred Biletnikoff as his position coach, I would say no, they probably don't respect each other very much at all. Should they? Obviously. But, there are bound to be differences. Although the game has changed over the years and I don't like it as much as I used to, I'm still a football fan. While evolving, the NFL has also retained a lot of what makes football football, to me. You can bet they do a whole lot of research on that stuff too. If they change the game what will that do to the fan base? If they changed the rules to flag football would I still like to watch the sport? It has little to do with respect for the players and everything to do with the direction of the game.

Yeah, baseball died when they raised the pitching mounds, juiced the balls, allowed free agency, and implemented the designated hitter.

Football hasn't been "real" football since they added the helmets and banned clotheslining. Roughing the passer is for wimps.