Disrespect Between Members of Different Eras

As on old schooler...it is FAR worse with the old timers bashing those of today on these forums.

And...don't you think that those who experienced what went on "then"...that is....the grownups....should take extra care to make sure they treat those of the current day with respect?

???

Mike, that sounds somewhat backwards?

I was always taught to generally "respect your elders", not necessarily the other way around. Adults shouldn't "bash" children, though.... That's for sure....

Wow, we probably shouldn't go down this line of conversation... I can see it turning bad... :grouphug:

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok Ok, after reading all this, I think one thing has become VERY clear. Some people like DC the way it was and want to keep it that way, but they need to realize that THINGS CHANGE. A coke is no longer a nickle and you cant go see a movie for a quarter anymore so why would DC stay the same after 30 years. Times change and so does the music and the ability of people to make it and shape it. The Shows "Back in the Day" ( which was a Wednesday by they way, yeah take that home and chew it ) were great! I cant think of a show I cant go back and watch that didn't in some way shape they way things are done today. I may be "New School", but the way it was done has dramatically shaped what we all do today, the people that marched then, are now the teachers of today. So if we're all being taught by those that did it in the past, and you dont like it, then blame yourself for changing the sport.

:grouphug:

???

I was always taught to generally "respect your elders", not necessarily the other way around. Adults shouldn't "bash" children, though.... That's for sure....

Wow, we probably shouldn't go down this line of conversation... I can see it turning bad... :grouphug:

Well, you're right. It could turn bad. But since you mentioned it, I figured I may as well respond. I was really hoping you could tell me what that magic age when it's okay to start being disrespectful is? I look forward to the day I'm old enough to say I know what is best for all and can tell others that what they did is not as good as it was when I did it, and that it's acceptable for me to say it. So if you could just tell me what that date is, I'd sure be appreciative.

I mean, really. Did you read what you wrote, and REALLY can tell me that you think that's right? Not necessarily the other way around? That's a joke and I missed it because of the internet, right?

???

For me it's not about respecting elders or respecting younger people, but I respect doers more than diders and that includes myself. They are the ones busting their ##### every day all summer while we sit around and critique every little thing they do. That doesn't mean I don't respect what came before, even the parts I don't personally enjoy, but the current members are the ones that are getting off their ##### and participating in a life changing activity right now and I think it's a #### shame that people who marched in the past would come onto a message board that some of these kids read and cowardly tell them from behind a computer that what they do is not drum corps. Drum corps is more than a certain instrumentation and I truly feel sorry for those who used to march who have lost sight of that fact.

I think I've finally figured it out. Nevermind that long, well thought out response I posted from earlier. Nevermind anything I've ever said. What I really need to do to be abrasive is be like Mist and the like. I'll just sit here and pick apart minute details in other peoples posts .. take them out of context .. and then make some smart### comment in response. It must work because it ###### me off :)

Why even have a thread about bridging the gab (yes I said gab) between eras when first blood was drawn several pages ago. Let's just have a war and get it over with. Verbal jousting ... commence.

I think I've finally figured it out. Nevermind that long, well thought out response I posted from earlier. Nevermind anything I've ever said. What I really need to do to be abrasive is be like Mist and the like. I'll just sit here and pick apart minute details in other peoples posts .. take them out of context .. and then make some smart### comment in response. It must work because it ###### me off :)

Why even have a thread about bridging the gab (yes I said gab) between eras when first blood was drawn several pages ago. Let's just have a war and get it over with. Verbal jousting ... commence.

Well, I mean... your assertion that members nowadays know nothing about the past pretty much... is completely wrong. Like I said, I owned the entire Legacy Collection (that's 1972-1999) before I had even marched a year of drum corps. Scouts from the mid-late 70's were some of the first shows I heard and some of my favorites for a long time.

So while it may help your argument, the statement that current members know very little about past corps is pretty much dead wrong.

And you fully believe that everyone on this board that has marched in the past 5 years owns the full legacy collection? SERIOUSLY? When a statement is made that is labeled a GENERALIZATION ... and it doesn't apply to you ... that might be a good time to realize that I'm not talking about you ... and then say something like ... well I'm not one of those of whom you speak ... or say nothing at all. At least THAT would be respectful.

And you fully believe that everyone on this board that has marched in the past 5 years owns the full legacy collection? SERIOUSLY? When a statement is made that is labeled a GENERALIZATION ... and it doesn't apply to you ... that might be a good time to realize that I'm not talking about you ... and then say something like ... well I'm not one of those of whom you speak ... or say nothing at all. At least THAT would be respectful.

for what its worth, there really are a LOT of people who march now who are very into 'older' drum corps. i personally watch/listen to drum corps from the '90s about.....maybe 10 times more often than i listen to anything from the 2000's. others are the same way.

i havent read much on this topic since isnt really something that interests me very much (i respect people who march now, i respect people who used to march.....not much of a dilemma there for me), but i thought id chime in on behalf of some current marching members. i listen to shows like madison '89 and cadets '90 (and those two in particular, as well) often, and im nowhere near alone in doing so.

respectful? the kid wants your old corps song to be played at his funeral. id be pretty humbled myself if i came across that.

I think what is really missing in this discussion is that drum corps is so much more than the product that is put on the field.

Having aged out of drum corps over 30 years ago I see that there is still this incredible bond between ALL generations of drum corps

that only drum corps people understand. Sure some youngster in a current corps may roll his eyes when he sees or hears corps from

the 60's and 70's when I was in but I in no way take that as being disrespectful, no more than I rolled my eyes when I heard drum cops

from the 40's back when I was in.

If you're a geezer like me just go hang around a corps for awhile. I'm sure you'll find a group of respectful kids with a 1000 questions about

what it was like "back in the day", what you did on the bus, on free days, etc. etc. THAT's what drum corps is. The experience of becoming a

member of a family of friends that you will have the rest of your life. Kids from all different types of backgrounds becoming the best of friends.

I may be searching for a melody half the time at a current drum corps show but that doesn't mean I don't respect the progression of drum corps.

The kids are just out there being drum corps kids, no more no less than we were.

To answer the original question - I think there is a lot of dislike for different types of shows from different eras from both young & old but I don't

feel at all that it is disrespect. What IS disrespectful is when an alumn of a current corps will say "that isn't even the ............" (fill in the blank) out

on that field. THAT is disrespecting the members and the corps you were a member of. Bashing one's own corps to me is the lowest you can get.