Disrespect Between Members of Different Eras

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, let's see - maybe because such a large percentage of those VFW vets have passed away. :ph34r:

That's what I was thinking too. I admit to being ignorant of the situation but I theorize that the VFW was getting weaker and weaker and no longer had the funds to support DC anymore. I was just wanting confirmation from someone who was around then.

The thing I disagree with in your post is the belief that DC and band are homogenized today. When I look at the 70's DC shows it reminds me of exactly what my highschool band was doing at the time...high mark time, squads, swinging gates, straight lines, popping turns no pit etc. My band continued this style until I was in highschool in the 80's. The first time I saw drum corps in '90, it was novel and different from band for me because they did NOT do most of these things and because they moved. I just don't buy that DC and band are more similar now. Bands have always been copying DC. For me, the chief difference has always been the level of performance.

I think the homogenization is a result of the two almost meeting in the middle. Biggest difference I see is: woodwinds.

Performance level is relative to the skill/talent of the performers and instructors. However, I think they all honestly try really hard to be good. Don't you? I have seen some really good bands college, mostly, but also high school. They don't have the time and personnel to devote to a killer DCI style show.

I think the turn to skin tight uniforms, mostly for the guards has been unfortunate for certain body types, but I applaud those that are not flattered by the outfit/uniform for taking their own place on the field.

That's what I was thinking too. I admit to being ignorant of the situation but I theorize that the VFW was getting weaker and weaker and no longer had the funds to support DC anymore. I was just wanting confirmation from someone who was around then.

American Legion, VFW, inner city parishes all starting going downhill from the 60s on. Not only were AL/VFW posts no longer able to support corps and other "social" groups (sports teams, etc) like before, many posts actually closed doors due to declining membership. The AL started with returning WWI vets and got a huge membership increase after WWII. Korea, Vietnam and other conflicts did little to make up for deaths of WWI/WWII members.

And if anyone knows of a website with numbers of AL members and posts over the years please let me know. I've been looking for this info for a while for my own interests. Wished I had saved my dads (Korea Vet/50+ year AL member) Legion magazines over the years. :ph34r:

Trivia note about AL and DC: The American Legion started the "Sons of the American Legion" in the mid to late 1930s in order to keep the Legion and its' ideas going. Problem was the members (WWI vets) were getting older so programs were started for the members sons. (No one had a crystal ball to know that WWII would start a new generation of veterans.) Some of the programs started by the Legion were sports teams and..... Drum Corps for the under 21 set.... This was the start for many Junior corps.....

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Performance level is relative to the skill/talent of the performers and instructors. However, I think they all honestly try really hard to be good. Don't you?

I know my highschool band didn't try really hard. I often wondered why people wanted to do band if they didn't want to be good at it. That's what was so frustrating to me about hs band and why I loved DC so much. It was nice to be a part of an organization where everyone cared as much, if not more than me.

American Legion, VFW, inner city parishes all starting going downhill from the 60s on. Not only were AL/VFW posts no longer able to support corps and other "social" groups (sports teams, etc) like before, many posts actually closed doors due to declining membership. The AL started with returning WWI vets and got a huge membership increase after WWII. Korea, Vietnam and other conflicts did little to make up for deaths of WWI/WWII members.

And if anyone knows of a website with numbers of AL members and posts over the years please let me know. I've been looking for this info for a while for my own interests. Wished I had saved my dads (Korea Vet/50+ year AL member) Legion magazines over the years. :ph34r:

Trivia note about AL and DC: The American Legion started the "Sons of the American Legion" in the mid to late 1930s in order to keep the Legion and its' ideas going. Problem was the members (WWI vets) were getting older so programs were started for the members sons. (No one had a crystal ball to know that WWII would start a new generation of veterans.) Some of the programs started by the Legion were sports teams and..... Drum Corps for the under 21 set.... This was the start for many Junior corps.....

Awesome info...thanks for the insight Jim.

Marty, I marched in one if not the only college military marching band in the country and I'm sorry, but what drum corps were doing in the 70's was not military as I know it. To me, if you're facing the stands and doing arcs, it's not military. If you're not doing counter marches and facing end zones, it's not military. We didn't do high mark time or low mark time either.

True, but a few clever drill instructors found a loop hole to get around the strict judging of lines and ranks. Nothing in the rules actually said you had to march in rank and file formations.

I blame George Bush.

~>conner

I know my highschool band didn't try really hard. I often wondered why people wanted to do band if they didn't want to be good at it. That's what was so frustrating to me about hs band and why I loved DC so much. It was nice to be a part of an organization where everyone cared as much, if not more than me.

Good point. I was helping out at a local high school for awhile and the trumpet players just wanted to know how to play as high as me, like I could give them a magic pill or something.

While teaching drill I had the flute section and when the first flute reached the set point and stopped the rest of them just continued and kept running into the first flute and they weren't clowning around. I tried to get them to pay attention to what they were doing, how to sight off of one another and get their bearings from the sidelines and how to listen for the music cue as to when they had to stop each time. All to no avail.

When I tried to talk to them and find out why they couldn't get this maneuver one of them piped up, "We just suck, OK?"

"None of us want to be in this stupid marching band". Needless to say I was stunned by that attitude. We had a short bull session and worked things out and they agreed to try and when they actually tried, they could do it. They just weren't happy about it.

On the other hand, there is a HS band in our area called Strath Haven High School Panthers, that are phenomenal and their director has no DC experience.

Just proves there are no absolutes.

True, but a few clever drill instructors found a loop hole to get around the strict judging of lines and ranks. Nothing in the rules actually said you had to march in rank and file formations.

And there you have the "evolution" of DC :)