Disrespect Between Members of Different Eras

I have not experienced anything like this. Indeed, I have been treated with nothing but respect from people of all eras of Drum Corps, and I am simply amazed at the skill level of the kids today.

I agree. I purchased a 3-CD set of Garfield Cadets 1960-1972 at a USSBA show a couple of years ago, and the young gal selling them was a Cadet mello player, I think possibly section leader. When I told her I was buying them because I was in the corps from 70-72 she was EXTREMELY enthusiastic and happy to talk about the old days with me...and thanked me for helping to keep the Cadets alive so that she had the chance to march with them.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that was the first time I've ever heard it called drum and trumpet corps.

If you dig deep enough in history, you'll discover that Quebec had parallel classes for drum/bugle corps and corps that used band brass instruments instead of bugles. This went on in the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s. Translated from French, the classes were known as "trumpet class" vs. "bugle class". Thus, corps competing in trumpet class were "drum & trumpet corps" (even though they used trombones, baritones, sousaphones, etc.).

It's legitimate terminology - don't assume it's derogatory.

The gal asked me to play percussion...but then she realized just how far away they are from me. :)

The show I just finished gave us a neat canvas carry-bag that would fit all sorts of stuff. The director said he was tired of giving out the same old tired t-shirts. :)

Of course, instead of something classy like "WSS" or "Fiddler on the Roof" or "My Fair Lady", I now have a nice canvas bag that has the title "Lust 'n Rust, the Trailer Park Musical" in written in very large letters! :P

:lolhit:

I have some of those, "What were you thinking?!" gifts from shows I've done. A sailor's hat with sea foam colored poofy ink that spells out "Anything Goes" in script around the canvas brim :beer: Wear it all the time, NOT!

Some of the t-shirts too. Oy.

Doing a community theater musical is fun though, great people, (but a little stranger than drum corps.) I would suggest everyone try it. I guarantee you will probably hate the show when you're done. Seeing it and playing it a hundred times in a row kind of kills the magic.

If you dig deep enough in history, you'll discover that Quebec had parallel classes for drum/bugle corps and corps that used band brass instruments instead of bugles. This went on in the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s. Translated from French, the classes were known as "trumpet class" vs. "bugle class". Thus, corps competing in trumpet class were "drum & trumpet corps" (even though they used trombones, baritones, sousaphones, etc.).

It's legitimate terminology - don't assume it's derogatory.

This is true. I did, after all, march with the "Memphis Blues Brass Band" or MB3. :P They might not have been from Quebec but you get my drift.

Edited by Lancerlady

To further my point even more....

Source: http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...97104&st=0#

What annoys/disturbs me more that someone took the time to write this.

I know what you mean! That last line didn't even rhyme, and the meter is a bit shaky.

I've asked this question many times before. I'm sure many hated it. They probably hated anything that wasn't a Sousa march too. Anything other than straight lines was probably frowned upon. I wonder what they thought about valves and rotors.
You don't know squat what you're babbling about, boy, when you talk about the Golden Age of Drum Corps. But that's okay; the babbler before you didn't, either. Not too many of you Spandexed whippersnappers do, by cracky.

If you really want to know why the D&BC vets look down on your new-school fancypants prance-athons, it's because you "reinvented" what was working just fine. Starting in 1970, the revisionists worked their way in to take over a huge and nationally popular, well-run and rapidly-growing activity with thousands of people in hundreds of great corps and in hundreds more of almost-great corps on their way to greatness, and discouraged raw beginners and made it impossible to afford belonging to and then pretended they were the New York Philharmonic with a Broadway chorus-boy line, and made the brave remaining members who still didstick around in their "all-new never-better total-program" activity slink around the field like Groucho Marx on Castoria while playing Shostakovich backwards, just to prove to somebody-or-other that they could. Our formerly-macho activity was castrated by the girly-boys and the image went from Terminator to Richard Simmons, and now the activity is knee-deep in the Big Muddy, and the big fools say to push on, and there's lots more along those lines, but you get the picture. By cracky.

You don't know squat what you're babbling about, boy, when you talk about the Golden Age of Drum Corps. But that's okay; the babbler before you didn't, either. Not too many of you Spandexed whippersnappers do, by cracky.

If you really want to know why the D&BC vets look down on your new-school fancypants prance-athons, it's because you "reinvented" what was working just fine. Starting in 1970, the revisionists worked their way in to take over a huge and nationally popular, well-run and rapidly-growing activity with thousands of people in hundreds of great corps and in hundreds more of almost-great corps on their way to greatness, and discouraged raw beginners and made it impossible to afford belonging to and then pretended they were the New York Philharmonic with a Broadway chorus-boy line, and made the brave remaining members who still didstick around in their "all-new never-better total-program" activity slink around the field like Groucho Marx on Castoria while playing Shostakovich backwards, just to prove to somebody-or-other that they could. Our formerly-macho activity was castrated by the girly-boys and the image went from Terminator to Richard Simmons, and now the activity is knee-deep in the Big Muddy, and the big fools say to push on, and there's lots more along those lines, but you get the picture. By cracky.

Thank you ...

Proverbs 21:24

Context

NET ©

The proud and arrogant man—"Mocker" is his name; he behaves with overweening pride.

NASB ©

"Proud," "Haughty," "Scoffer," are his names, Who acts with insolent pride.

NLT ©

Mockers are proud and haughty; they act with boundless arrogance.

MSG ©

You know their names--Brash, Impudent, Blasphemer--intemperate hotheads, every one.

BBE ©

The man of pride, lifted up in soul, is named high-hearted; he is acting in an outburst of pride.

NRSV ©

The proud, haughty person, named "Scoffer," acts with arrogant pride.

NKJV ©

A proud and haughty man ––"Scoffer" is his name; He acts with arrogant pride.

You've got to be kidding me. I really hope this is sarcasm. If it's not, I'd find it EXTREMELY ironic that you're posting something like this in a thread about coming to mutual respect between the different generations of drum corps marchers.

Talk about classy <**>