Disrespect Between Members of Different Eras

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The new wave DC people can not argue with old because they were not there. The old schoolers were there and now see where the activity is going and have a leg to stand on in an argument.(even though it's on a hover round) I like the old, but thats what I know. But When I was marching in and 1975 and was told of the Lt Norman Price, Riley Raiders and other corps of the generation prior to us we held those corps in high regard. The bando's of today care only for what they know and to heck with the rest.

RF

The new wave DC people can not argue with old because they were not there. The old schoolers were there and now see where the activity is going and have a leg to stand on in an argument.(even though it's on a hover round) I like the old, but thats what I know. But When I was marching in and 1975 and was told of the Lt Norman Price, Riley Raiders and other corps of the generation prior to us we held those corps in high regard. The bando's of today care only for what they know and to heck with the rest.

RF

To borrow from another brilliant poster:

Well, seeing as how this thread has already gone down the drain, I might as well add some more fuel to the fire.

I really don't enjoy watching 70's drum corps. It's really, really awesome to listen to, but I just can't stand watching it.

You don't know squat what you're babbling about, boy, when you talk about the Golden Age of Drum Corps. But that's okay; the babbler before you didn't, either. Not too many of you Spandexed whippersnappers do, by cracky.

If you really want to know why the D&BC vets look down on your new-school fancypants prance-athons, it's because you "reinvented" what was working just fine. Starting in 1970, the revisionists worked their way in to take over a huge and nationally popular, well-run and rapidly-growing activity with thousands of people in hundreds of great corps and in hundreds more of almost-great corps on their way to greatness, and discouraged raw beginners and made it impossible to afford belonging to and then pretended they were the New York Philharmonic with a Broadway chorus-boy line, and made the brave remaining members who still didstick around in their "all-new never-better total-program" activity slink around the field like Groucho Marx on Castoria while playing Shostakovich backwards, just to prove to somebody-or-other that they could. Our formerly-macho activity was castrated by the girly-boys and the image went from Terminator to Richard Simmons, and now the activity is knee-deep in the Big Muddy, and the big fools say to push on, and there's lots more along those lines, but you get the picture. By cracky.

One thing I haven't changed my mind about is the takeover of drum corps by DCI. If it wasn't for DCI we'd all be sort of on the same page after all these years.

However, it's a done deal. You or I weren't there to stop it. (so MikeD, maybe only 165.9degrees)

You can't lose sight of the idea that it is still a musical activity for the benefit of the kids. When you think DCI you can't help but focus on Division I. There are a lot of Division II and III corps that are like most of the neighborhood corps of the past. In the so called Golden Age, there still were only 12 at VFW finals. I think the classes of Div. I, II, III should be done away with. It stigmatizes the smaller corps as not as good in a lot of people's minds.

The, "...Groucho Marx on Castoria..." line is very funny, but you see, you're making fun of the kids today and that's not funny. Keep those remarks to your circle of friends when you're clowning around and making fun. Who wants to be made fun of on an international forum? You? You have a right to an opinion, you have a right to say it, but think first, do you really mean to make fun of these young men and women? How does that help?

Your post is very humorous, but do you see you're not just stating an opinion or talking to your friends - you're deriding someone's hard work and beloved activity as they know it.

Talent, hard work and determination; pride and self confidence; genuine accomplishments are not bounded by what kind of instrument you play, whether you march 120 or 160 BPM or even how old you are.

Talent, hard work and determination; pride and self confidence; genuine accomplishments are not bounded by what kind of instrument you play, whether you march 120 or 160 BPM or even how old you are.

I think that IS the bond between players of different eras. The thing that's not different between eras is working hard to perfect your craft. That's always the same.

Edited by Roark1

The bando's of today grumpy old farts of yesterday care only for what they know and to heck with the rest.

RF

RF

Wasn't any different in my day than it is today. We focussed on our tasks at hand...learned the history of our corps...and had the time of our young lives.

I marched just a bit before you (see sig).

I'm surprised it took 3 days and 130ish posts before the crap started. We had a nice thread going that showed some commonality and had slight progress toward understanding and genuine respect ....... and now this. I'm 36 years of age ... I would have aged out 15 years ago had I marched my last 2 years. I hardly feel like a whipper snapper .... but I can hardly imagine someone my fathers age showing such a lack of wisdom in such a public fashion.

Weren't folks who were born in the 40's-50's taught and raised with the values of Honor, Respect and Humbility? And aren't those the things you prided yourselves on when you marched? I believe the answers should be YES ... in fact I KNOW.

One thing I haven't changed my mind about is the takeover of drum corps by DCI. If it wasn't for DCI we'd all be sort of on the same page after all these years.

Actually, before DCI part of the prolem was that there were too many "pages"....all sorts of different rules and sheets, based on who was sponsoring the show.

However, it's a done deal. You or I weren't there to stop it. (so MikeD, maybe only 165.9degrees)

Make it 166.3 :P

Now THAT is 100% accurate!!!! :)