2003 Phantom Regiment v. 2003 Blue Devils

Not to say that BD wasn't great, but I think the Cadets have had one of (if not the best) guards every year of the 2000s. Guard people feel free to put me in my place, but I give a lot more credit to east coast equipment heavy work as opossed to the west coast dance oriented stuff. What's cooler, watching one person do something pretty tough, or watching 6+ people do something pretty tough in unison? To my untrained eye, the latter is more impressive.

Unfortunately what your saying, especially in the 2000's couldnt be further from the truth. The East coast (Cadet) Guards are heavily dance/movement/character oriented and the west coast style is continued, constant movement through body, and equipment. Blue Devils in the 2000's have blown Cadet guards away, albeit not in 2005.

But, lets take 2003, just for example. "The phenomenon of cool" Guard had sabres, flags, rifles and a "movement" line as to say "we are so cool, we dont even need equipment" But what you dont realize is the variety in repetoire, the constant change in attack of the equipment, alternate tempos utilized in unison on equipment, movement while utlizing eqipment, tricks that were not only completed with consistency but took a greater risk and didnt fail on finals night.

Cadets, while arguably the second best guard behind the Blue Devils, lack that variety in repetoire and consistency in presentation needed to overtake Devils. Not even close. Ever since 89 when April and Co. took over, their flags have been outstanding, phenomenal, totally on a nother level, however, they have yet to vary their approach, their style or their attack of the equipment.

No corps utilizes the ensemble better than the Blue Devils. Yes, I want to see a group of people do something in unison, with consistence, that is unique, enhances the show, and is staged properly and not overbearing and trite, thats why I watch the Blue Devils, their unison and ensemble repetoire is unequaled every year. Compare "away day blue" to "moondance" An entire guard using rifles and hats, ensemble, in unison, attacking the same vocabulary on eqipment, then take "Moondance, some dancers, maybe twelve pastel flags, and a third group of people doing nothing...a mess, if you ask me, not even the dancing was together.

What you say is opposite of what is. What you like is done, and done consistent by the Blue Devils. Not to sat likeing Cadets and their style isnt ok, they are awesome, they do things well (89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 96, 99, 05, to name a few of my favorite years) and are sophisticated and unique in their own right, but its indeed Cadets that incorporate much more dance, downtime, and hi-jinks into their program. Not the Blue Devils

~G~

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to say that BD wasn't great, but I think the Cadets have had one of (if not the best) guards every year of the 2000s. Guard people feel free to put me in my place, but I give a lot more credit to east coast equipment heavy work as opossed to the west coast dance oriented stuff. What's cooler, watching one person do something pretty tough, or watching 6+ people do something pretty tough in unison? To my untrained eye, the latter is more impressive.

I can only go by "favorite" guards because I have no idea which ones should win in any given year. But in 03, both BD and the Cadets had amazing guards, IMO. In particular, the flag work both did at the end of their openers is some of my favorite ever. The only thing that irked me about the Cadets guard that year was the color palette of the silks and the guard unis. Ick. But great to watch nonetheless.

Unfortunately what your saying, especially in the 2000's couldnt be further from the truth. The East coast (Cadet) Guards are heavily dance/movement/character oriented and the west coast style is continued, constant movement through body, and equipment. Blue Devils in the 2000's have blown Cadet guards away, albeit not in 2005.

But, lets take 2003, just for example. "The phenomenon of cool" Guard had sabres, flags, rifles and a "movement" line as to say "we are so cool, we dont even need equipment" But what you dont realize is the variety in repetoire, the constant change in attack of the equipment, alternate tempos utilized in unison on equipment, movement while utlizing eqipment, tricks that were not only completed with consistency but took a greater risk and didnt fail on finals night.

Cadets, while arguably the second best guard behind the Blue Devils, lack that variety in repetoire and consistency in presentation needed to overtake Devils. Not even close. Ever since 89 when April and Co. took over, their flags have been outstanding, phenomenal, totally on a nother level, however, they have yet to vary their approach, their style or their attack of the equipment.

No corps utilizes the ensemble better than the Blue Devils. Yes, I want to see a group of people do something in unison, with consistence, that is unique, enhances the show, and is staged properly and not overbearing and trite, thats why I watch the Blue Devils, their unison and ensemble repetoire is unequaled every year. Compare "away day blue" to "moondance" An entire guard using rifles and hats, ensemble, in unison, attacking the same vocabulary on eqipment, then take "Moondance, some dancers, maybe twelve pastel flags, and a third group of people doing nothing...a mess, if you ask me, not even the dancing was together.

What you say is opposite of what is. What you like is done, and done consistent by the Blue Devils. Not to sat likeing Cadets and their style isnt ok, they are awesome, they do things well (89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 96, 99, 05, to name a few of my favorite years) and are sophisticated and unique in their own right, but its indeed Cadets that incorporate much more dance, downtime, and hi-jinks into their program. Not the Blue Devils

~G~

Thats an interesting take on it.

By the way, what years did you march Madison, GMichael?

That's funny - to me the whole point of BD 03 was to showcase a more individualized approach to performance. Characterized by the drum and guard solos. I'll have to go rewatch both shows again with what you've said in mind - I have no problem admitting that I'm a brass guy, and that this is something I would never claim to be an authority on.

That's funny - to me the whole point of BD 03 was to showcase a more individualized approach to performance. Characterized by the drum and guard solos. I'll have to go rewatch both shows again with what you've said in mind - I have no problem admitting that I'm a brass guy, and that this is something I would never claim to be an authority on.

Yes, give it another watch. I know what you meana nd understand what you say, and feel the same way about those things. Thats why Iw as confused with your assesement of the BD guard approach in 03. You might see it different. They have some key ensemble areas that are outstanding, and the guard spins that year like nobodys business !! LOL

~G~

That was one of my favorite Blue Devils shows in recent years and I use to be a huge Blue Devils fan (more so pre-2000 even more more so pre-90s) but I liked the Regiment show better. I thought the pacing was flawless and the music was much more listenable. Devils had an amazing drill that year and preformed better but as far as replay value Regiment, second would be Blue Devils, third SCV, Cadets and so on…no love for Spin Cycle from me though.

Interesting take on the guards – I tend to think Cadets and BD usually have the best guards but default to the position of drum corps for the fan – if you have to explain it to me its probably not very effective then

After having rewatched the top 6 - I will say that I do not know enough about guard to say anything about them, to me they were all great.

Well, I will say one thing - my TV completely freaks out during Boston's show because of all the red. :)

Edit: you were right, there is a ton of really good ensemble work in BD's show

Edited by raphael18