Is drum corps healty?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, and as far as the health thing... drink milk, get calcium. It's good for your bones. I only marched soprano, but I never had any pains or injuries due to drum corps. My knees held up really well, and I'm wondering if it's because of the daily ration of milk with breakfast (not just during the season, but all the time).

dude, its because you marched soprano.... get outta here!

from my two years marching I can say that marching has gotten me in immaculate physical and cardiovascular shape. The main problems tend to arise because of the musical and physical schools colliding on the FB field. Musicians DO NOT know how to take care of their bodies like athletes do. (most of them any way) Those who re-use running/x-training shoes for more than one season are asking for back/knee/hip/ankle problems in the near future. Those who also do not take stretching BEFORE practice seriously are also asking for it. Stretching after is also a major benefit.

The worst part about it is that those who are injuring themselves have no idea or that they think if it doesn't hurt now it won't hurt later. How many times have you heard "I've been wearing these shoes since my rookie season and they feel great! They're soooo comfortable" I don't care who you are, you're putting your body at an incredible risk.

The best was when my brass caption told me that I was going to be out for a whole season from straining my hamstring. I told him 2 days rest and i'd be back and I was. Dude.....you're a music teacher....teach music; The trainer and I will worry about my body.

Sometimes die hard Drum Corps people (again sorry if I've offended anyone) can be way too headstrong and into not sitting out or using old shoes or not wearing sunscreen that they put themselves and possibly others and an incredible risk. Take care of yourselves.

I've done 3 summers and I feel great :P

My only complaint would be my knees from sitting on the bus. Nothing worse than being 6'1" with absolutely no leg room

DCISummer2005032-1.jpg

to the original poster, I feel you completely, man!

This is my seventh year marching euphonium and my back is cockeyed and my hips pop so loud you think someone is knocking on the door. I have escaped knee problems for the most part, but I think I traded those for the hip issues.

I guess I don't help myself by not sleeping on anything and I don't do anything to prevent my aches and pains from becoming worse. I advocate the medical school of sucking it up. If it is bad, I will go to the hospital. If it isn't worth going to the hospital, just rub some dirt in it and you will be ok. Which I have been so I am lead to believe that it works. ;-)

As for it being healthy? I don't know. We all come off the road in great physical health but our bones and joints (more likely the bigger your horn) are worse for the wear.

I guess its health is debatable, but it is great for the soul so I will keep on wth it.

to the original poster, I feel you completely, man!

This is my seventh year marching euphonium and my back is cockeyed and my hips pop so loud you think someone is knocking on the door. I have escaped knee problems for the most part, but I think I traded those for the hip issues.

I guess I don't help myself by not sleeping on anything and I don't do anything to prevent my aches and pains from becoming worse. I advocate the medical school of sucking it up. If it is bad, I will go to the hospital. If it isn't worth going to the hospital, just rub some dirt in it and you will be ok. Which I have been so I am lead to believe that it works. ;-)

As for it being healthy? I don't know. We all come off the road in great physical health but our bones and joints (more likely the bigger your horn) are worse for the wear.

I guess its health is debatable, but it is great for the soul so I will keep on wth it.

haha, hell yeah. good for you. :)

i never would have associated judy funnie with being a bad ### but i guess thats probably going to have to be the case from now on.

Heck yes, man! She is the stuff!

Here's what 3 years of HS band, 1 of College band and 6 years of DC all done of macadam parking lots might do to ya a few decades later in life... :sshh:

No cartledge in big toes so bone spurs that look like you're growing another toe....

Leads to spur removal surgery and cortizone shots which only treats the symptoms...

Which (2 years ago) leads to joint replacement (hey I got replacement parts :blink: ) in the worst toe. Holding breath but feels better and can do parades after taking more ibuprofin than recommended (don't take for too long or stomach problems). Can also tell when it's cold and damp out without checking the Weatther Channel. :sshh:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

I marched 16 years in junior corps: 6 on cymbals, 1 on bass drum, 9 on baritone. The only joint issue I have came from putting my knee into a curb while playing street football (stupid New Yorkers, we played in the street instead of on grass :blink: ). Oh, and my left ring finger is kind of curved from using traditional grip while learning to play drums at the age of 4. Other than that, I still feel pretty good for 48. Still do all the winter camps plus travel with the corps as much as work allows during the summer. I do need an air mattress now that I'm older, but all I ever used during my 16 years was a sleeping bag. Guess everyone ages different.

One lasting "disease" I do have from corps is a love for the smell of diesel fumes :P .