Loudest brass section you've heard...

Thank you for clarifying, I'm glad I read the whole thread before I unleashed my wrath.

Not a problem. I had the pleasure of studying with Mr. Jacobs, have read the books written by him/about him, and currently work with his longtime student, and 2nd tuba in the CSO in the late 60's, so I have been able to dispell many of the rumors from first hand knowledge.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2000's I've seen alot of practices and watched alot of corps. Phantom 2004, Devils 2003 and Cadets 2005 stick out but power and technique have replaced loud. There are just too many good powerful corps now.

No no no no no....let's get this right. You marched in the 70's, right? You're not allowed to think that corps these days play powerfully. What with instructors teaching that god-awful "proper blass-playing technique" and the switch from G to Bb that could only be a ploy by Satan himself to corrupt the very moral fiber of drum corps, it should be obvious that corps these days play quieter than a dead grandmother could play the horn back in the "good ole days."

^0^

Yeah, the 2002 Cavies hornline wasn't too terribly loud

But the 2002 Cavies percussion sections were pretty sweet.

No no no no no....let's get this right. You marched in the 70's, right? You're not allowed to think that corps these days play powerfully. What with instructors teaching that god-awful "proper blass-playing technique" and the switch from G to Bb that could only be a ploy by Satan himself to corrupt the very moral fiber of drum corps, it should be obvious that corps these days play quieter than a dead grandmother could play the horn back in the "good ole days."

^0^

ROFLMAO :worthy::worthy::worthy: That was good. :P

i'm gonna go with LSU's brass section- we always got told at our rehearsals (for another SEC band who will remain nameless at this time, hehe) that we needed to play more like them... cause i mean, dang.... they were loud... and i gotta give it up to Alabama and Georgia as well- all 3 could put out some massive sound-

but we could always march a good circle drill! hehe

Alabama....loud????? :worthy: :worthy:

Gotta disagree with you on that one.

ROFLMAO :worthy::worthy::worthy: That was good. :P

There is no way to ever verify any of this, so you can opine all you want. There's no sense dissing one era or another... but just trust me on this:

75 Madison

There was an out of state band that did a major show in NC my senior year of HS. They fielded like 300 people, that had to be the biggest sound I've ever heard, it was unreal.

^0^

LMFAO! Your Right!