Loudest brass section you've heard...

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

troy university sound of the south has one of the loudest brass lines ive ever heardof course they do have nearly 20 tubas

the loudest and best sounding high school hornline ive ever seen is niceville marching band that band as a whole is amazing.

There is no way to ever verify any of this, so you can opine all you want. There's no sense dissing one era or another... but just trust me on this:

75 Madison

I've only ever seen and heard recordings, but I tend to agree with this one. Being a Spirit Alum, I'm always partial to '80 Spirit whenever people start talking about loud, but the beginning of Madison's '75 is I-N-S-A-N-E! All that sound from the back sideline? I'd love to see a corps try that trick again.

I heart '75 Madison! They played the only decent version of MacArthur Park I've ever heard (sorry, Sir Richard Harris)

I heard a rehearsal of Hector Berlioz's Requiem in York Minster (York, England) in 1999. Since it was rehearsal, and they were trying to get the brass together, I had the privilege of hearing it done with Brass only...no percussion, no orchestra, no choir.

And since this was an authentic rendition (over 800 voices in the choir, and performed in a large cathedral) it had Berlioz's complete compliment of brass, as he spelled it out in the score:

Orchestra: 4 cornets, 12 horns, 4 tubas

North: 4 cornets, 4 trombones, 2 tubas

East Transept: 4 trumpets, 4 trombones

West Transept: 4 trumpets, 4 trombones

South: 4 trumpets, 4 trombones, 4 tubas

Total players:

20 trp/cor

12 hn

16 tbn

10 tba

-------

58 players

This was no pick-up orchestra either: It had the brass sections of the London Symphony, Philharmonia, Scottish National, etc.

As people have stated here, and I agree (that professional brass sections of 12 players can play louder than a 72-member drum corps hornline) I'm sure you can only imagine what a "full hornline" of professional players sounded like in that summer of 1999, when I heard The Berlioz Requiem. It was the loudest brass-only sound I've ever heard. (Full-retreat America is more ugly than it is loud...but I digress...)

It was a once-in-a-lifetime experience. I was there on luck...I had no idea this was happeneing. I got off the train, and was making my way toward York Minster just to visit the amazing place. Lo-n-behold, I heard the sounds of the Berlioz Requiem emminating as I drew closer. Then I started to run. I did not want to miss a single note! I did not hear the performance, but I heard most of the rehearsal. I was in complete awe, as I'm sure Berlioz had intended.

79,80 Spirit of Atlanta, and 75 Madison Scouts. 79 BD was pretty dang good too.

Probably the Cavaliers 2002 hornline.

^0^

You're kidding, right?

Anyone who had the pleasure of standing in front of a Madison Hornine in the mid to late 80's will tell you they are lucky to still have their hearing.

Also, Star of Indiana in 1988 had a huge hit at the top of their show that pushed the stands back several feet back. That was loud!