Loudest brass section you've heard...

What is the loudest brass section you have heard, not from drum corps, but from an orchestra and/or professional big band?

For orchestras:

Chicago? New York? Philadelphia? Some European orchestra?

I've heard stories about the Chicago Symphony brass during the '60's.

Let's admit it: a professional orchestral brass player plays much, much louder (on average, and when the music calls for it) than the vast majority of corps brass players.

For big bands:

Kenton? Don Ellis? Maynard? Which big band brass section put out the most sound?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Band? Hmm...probably Tower of Power or Goodman's brass section.

Let's admit it: a professional orchestral brass player plays much, much louder (on average, and when the music calls for it) than the vast majority of corps brass players.

Well, DUH! :)

Anyhow...

I would have to say, section-wise, it would have to be Chicago's brass (the symphony, that is..); at least the classic Chicago line-up. how can you not be with Bud Herseth and Arnold Jacobs at the book-ends of the section?

And remember, Jacobs played tuba with only ONE lung... :worthy:

Being a brass player, I hug around alot of horn lines in my time(75-present)Here's my opinion.

Madison, from 1975 to about 1988

Any Canadian Corps from 75 to 79

1976 Oakland Crusaders

North Star 79 and 80

Spirit in the early 80's

1990's Blue Devils and Phantom during practice and warm ups. To me it seemed like they had a show volume and a practice volume, plus they were more spread out during the shows.

2000's I've seen alot of practices and watched alot of corps. Phantom 2004, Devils 2003 and Cadets 2005 stick out but power and technique have replaced loud. There are just too many good powerful corps now.

Edited by boxingfred

i'm gonna go with LSU's brass section- we always got told at our rehearsals (for another SEC band who will remain nameless at this time, hehe) that we needed to play more like them... cause i mean, dang.... they were loud... and i gotta give it up to Alabama and Georgia as well- all 3 could put out some massive sound-

but we could always march a good circle drill! hehe

And remember, Jacobs played tuba with only ONE lung... :worthy:

I went to a breathing seminar Jacobs was giving where he was demonstrating how to get school musicians to breathe deeper and produce more air. He was huge into that. He had a machine that measured breath volume (as in amount of air) produced. He has us try it out and then he showed what he could do. His output was astounding. I had know idea all this time he only had one lung.