Who copies the other more?

Easy...DCI copies more.

BOA bands won't copy DCI because of the exposure DCI gets....it would be apparent to anyone watching that..."hey that's Cavies 03!"

DCI can get away with it, because for the most part....not many DCI fans are familiar with MOST BOA bands.

Now in general.....your average "locally competing" non-BOA HS marching band copies DCI corps note for note sometimes. Not so much on the BOA level.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Snapettes sometimes borrow ideas from the Other Snapettes Minature Pony Drill Team; however, the other Snapettes Minature Pony Drill Team has been know to steal ideas from the Snapettes.

Mom

DCI copies BoA way more - I was wondering why 3 corps were going to play Hide and Seek this year then I noticed some band did it last year - I think we are just down to 2 corps palying it now

It's happened quite a bit in both directions. It really bothers me when I hear a band copy a corps, and they aren't good. If they're good, well it's still not great. HOWEVER, the same works the other way around too. So there is a lot of borrowing on both sides. Who knows who does it more. There are more bands than drum corps, so I'll say that the odds are more likely for HS bands to copy drumcorps.

I don't think it's a matter of copying... I think it's a matter of staffs using the high school as a concept test ground... James Logan HS is a good example. AMAZING band... When Ramiro Barrera (also BD's program coordinator) took over in the late 90s there were a couple of "coincedences"

I think it was 98 or 99 they play on Dangerous Ground... then BD plays it a few years later.

The "Backwards Danceathon"???? A James Logan winterguard show from 99 or 00. Not sure which year... I just remember I was going to RCC at the time.

I'm sure there are other examples... those ar just the ones that stick out in my mind at the moment. I don't doubt that other corps staff do that too...

I don't think it's a matter of copying... I think it's a matter of staffs using the high school as a concept test ground...

Yes!! I think that many people who work with corps test drive their stuff in BOA (or other competitive HS circuts) I mean it makes sense if you're going to try and be competitive in DCI to at least give stuff a test run to see what you're going to have to really work at.

DCI copies BoA way more - I was wondering why 3 corps were going to play Hide and Seek this year then I noticed some band did it last year - I think we are just down to 2 corps palying it now

Correlation does not equal causation. In other words, just because a song is cool and a few bands play it, it doesn't mean when a corps also plays it they are copying the bands. Also, if a band plays a song a corps played it isn't copying. It is copying when a band plays a whole corps show, almost note for note.

If your talking about top tier boa and dci, probably dci.

if your talking about every high school band in the ####in country it's bands by a long shot.

I know many DCI instructors (East Coast) that have almost never even seen a BOA band. I taught for five years and never saw one in person. The same instructors may get inspiration from the local top bands, but copying what they do? Not really.

I think it's a falsehood to argue that either one copies the other. The argument in and of itself is invalid when you consider that most of the DC staffs are also highschool band directors and/or consultants who write drill and music for bands. So in essence you're accusing these DC staffs of just copying their own work/style that they've implemented elsewhere.

I think it's fair to say that most of these consultants got their "street cred" in DCI and now band directors are willing to shell out the $$$ for the "big name DCI" guy.

edit: so now I read through the rest of the posts and see how original I am...long/short=I agree

Edited by Medeabrass

I'll say it again. I've seen High School Marching Bands perform better than Div. I corps.

Truer words have never been spoken.

I personally would highly doubt that...if you mean the bottom half of DIV 1 maybe. But the top 17 or so can't possible be compared to any high school band....no matter how good they are. Too much time is spent preparing the field show in Drum Corps than there is Band so I think it's unfair to even compare the two.

And I think there's coping on both ends......that's how we came about amps.