Current Events Forum Closure Discussion

I was actualy thinking we could vote in more moderators... the forum had a decent balance of left and right amongst the members... i think we could have gotten ourselves a balanced and fair moderating team..

when you look into the way back machine when the moderating team was made of up many mods, there was a break-down at one point of who leaned in what political direction. it was fairly even, but for many people even that wasn't good enough. those who were in the CE forum back before the 1st split, then with the sub-site will probably remember what i am referring to.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when you look into the way back machine when the moderating team was made of up many mods, there was a break-down at one point of who leaned in what political direction. it was fairly even, but for many people even that wasn't good enough. those who were in the CE forum back before the 1st split, then with the sub-site will probably remember what i am referring to.

I remember, but I felt the same way I felt up until this am....dont like it stay out. It's always been that simple.

Seems this time we haven't been given any options nor have we been asked for imput. I'd think if they wanted to do away with CE why not get rid of Off-Topic altogether? Why single CE out?

At THAT time, it wasn't in the political leanings....it was in the heavy-handed moderation that what going on. Step on a crack, break your own back was the feeling around here.

THEN they came up with the self moderation theme, more hands off from the mods....which, IMO is good. Train your mods properly and there's no need to worry about which way THEY lean politically....so we had a good idea, just not enough people around (TWO moderators for such a volotile forum. It still baffles me) to really make it work.

Shame.

For me, this decision loses most of the stickiness of DCP. Fast.

Bluntly, I'm not that interested in reading the opinions of 15 year-old band members on the DCI front, and as I don't march seniors, I don't have any reason to be reading or debating anything on that front.

Oh well, I suppose it'll only increase the amount of time I spend doing useful things instead . B)

yeah. coming to a drum corps forum to talk about drum corps is just absurd.

~>conner

yeah. coming to a drum corps forum to talk about drum corps is just absurd.

~>conner

thats not his argument. not at all.

Wow... even here, in a thread about the closing of the CE i can call somone on a logical error ( this would be a classic strawman) :P :P :P

Both of the Giles are in agreement. I don't want to talk politics with strangers on the internet... I want to get to know my drum corps buddies better, offer differing views, and still be able to share a beer at DCA.

For those that are happy CE is closed, I really wonder why you didn't just leave the section if you were so unhappy. Instead, I saw complaints and pleas to shut the place down... while not even thinking that there are people still enjoying it. Squeaky wheel I guess.

I also wonder at the level of "self-moderation" since we weren't even able to vote people off the island that obviously didn't play with others and understand our group dynamics before jumping in the pool and making a huge splash.

After thinking about this all day, I'm still bummed. I hope there will be a new home for our little "CE Family" to go to and hang out. Or at the very least, DCP reconsiders this decision.

I think that in the grander scheme of things the recent posts lamenting about what's going on in the forum had much, if any, impact on this decision

Rich and John noted the posts expressing dissatisfaction with the forum, read the refutations, analyzed the threads for content, and rendered a decision

Had they disagreed the forum would still exist

While I didn't post in or read CE very often at all, the reason I wasn't in there that much is the reason I'm sure it's no longer in existence - the steadfast refusal of some folks to refrain from taking umbrage way too easily and others from dishing personal attacks at the first drop of the hat.

While the majority of posters in CE behaved themselves well and had at least a modicum of respect for their fellow posters, the flamers did their part to burn the forum down. And I'm not pointing at any one person here - if a poster flamed someone else and knew what he/she was doing at the time, then the shoe fits.

I for one won't miss it. Perhaps some others actually thrived in and enjoyed the hot environment, but for me life is far too short to spend any of it arguing with others simply for the sake of argument and/or one-upmanship. High blood pressure (either given or taken or both) kills.

And I found Einstein's statement to hit it on the head - in so many words, it's the freaking internet, people!! It ain't life & death! It ain't worth so much anguish!!

Peace and :wub: to all of you - and I mean it! :)

thats not his argument. not at all.

Wow... even here, in a thread about the closing of the CE i can call somone on a logical error ( this would be a classic strawman) :P :P :P

correct me if I'm wrong, but he bacsically said that he comes to DCP for the CE forum, and that he won't be visiting anymore because of the fact the CE forum is gone.

::shrugs:: obviously you're better at reading posts than me.

~>conner

Edited by PhantomR