Heat Wave Inactive?

There are also 3 DCA meetings a year with plenty of opportunities to mingle with these folks. Show up. Have a beer with them and build some bridges if you want to effectuate change. I've been going to these meetings pretty regularly and I don't recall seeing many people there other than the Exec. Board and corps administrators.

Is anyone welcome to attend a DCA meeting? Is anyone welcome to speak at one?

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Btw I wasn't at those rules meetings but a friend of a friend was there (so yes this is heresay, but on this forum that's valid), and he said that during the discussion of the 35 rule the DCA voting directors actually stopped and asked the class A and smaller corps for their opinion. I heard it was a big bad Eastern corps that asked that. Apparently they even went around the room asking each of the small corps directors their opinion.

I was also told (again hearsay) that there weren't very many small corps represented at the meeting, even tho Vic K. (yes, this friend twice removed knows Vic) had encouraged a bunch of corps to attend because this very rule was up for vote, but they didn't show.

Weren't very many? How many does this require? The three we've already heard from here have already indicated that their objections to the concept were more than adequately presented. Are you suggesting that it would be justified to ignore their point of view simply because several of their geographically-distant peers were not in attendance that day?

Is anyone welcome to attend a DCA meeting? Is anyone welcome to speak at one?

There is usually a brief, private meeting of the voting directors before the general business meeting. I am unaware of any limitations on who may attend the general meeting. This would be a question for Gil Silva as would the question about whether anyone who does not directly represent a corps may speak. I would imagine, due to space and time limitations, there could not be an unlimited number of guests and there would have to be some restrictions on who can talk and for how long. Priority would have to be given to those who actually represent corps.

If someone is seeking a rule/By-law change, it must be introduced by a corps. Thus, any politicking should start at the corps level before the issue will be addressed by DCA.

I've got two ideas:

1. Apply the rule only to those regions that have independent show sponsors that are affected (i.e. the Northeast).

2. Allow under-35 corps to compete - just don't require show sponsors to pay them.

DCA does NOT require a show sponsor to Invite any particular group or Corps. If an Independent show sponsor wants a Corps, they Request that group. They(Corps) are not sent out in groups like DCI. ( where as you sponsor of a show, you Must Take those in a group).

SO. No need (in DCA) for a rule at all. If you Do Not Want a group 34 and under. Do not Invite One! Why not allow sponsors that have no problems with size to do as they wish. Let each REGION deside for themselves!

(One day DCA could may well have 5 Regions. Northeast, South, Central, Southwest, and West)

Now, although " I " enjoy seeing all, Big and Small, at the World Championships. I can at least understand limits on size there. Time, Judges, Expense, and Field Quality and all, must be taken into consideration.

As to Voting.

IMO. All members should get a Vote. (DCI does NOT even that). Then maybe each group in the top 10 in Open Class and Top 3 in A Div. would each get another vote.

Edited by LucysSkylinerAlumni

I would disagree with this statement. Heat Wave has gone to many shows where the promoters specifically asked for us to appear. Fans used to go crazy when Heat Wave took the field. This whole mind set of a big corps is a good corps and a small corps is a crappy corps has really set all of drum corps, DCI and DCA, back. There are many kids who will only march in Madison, etc. and would never think of marching in a corps like Pioneer or Lake Erie Regiment due to size and reputation. This means that they usually do not march in a corps at all. This deprives them of the experience of a lifetime and deprives certain corps the chance to move up. Yes, there is something special about marching in the Blue Devils or the Syracuse Brigadiers, but how do you think it got that way? The Blue Devils were a drum and bell corps, how do you think they became what they are today? They started small and became world champions.

I also wanted to reply to the person who said that if we can only recruit 35 people in a city of two million, we probably deserved what we got. Let's think about what goes on in Orlando:

1. More major amusement parks than any where else in the country

2. Many, many beaches close by

3. Wages in this state are generally lower than other states, plus most of the jobs are service industry jobs with no set schedules and work on the weekends

4. It is HOT and HUMID, much more than anybody up north can believe

5. The travel to go to any show is extensive and requires a lot of money and/or a LONG bus ride. A typical trip to a competition for Heat Wave consisted of

getting to the Bahia Shrine parking lot by 6 pm on Thursday night, driving until 6 pm or so on Friday, arriving at a school and taking an hour to eat and shower, rehearsing until 1 am, trying to sleep on a gym floor where typically the air conditioning was turned off for the summer, getting up at 6 am to eat and shower, once again, in a locker room shower with how many other people and, of course, the hot water was turned off for the summer, rehearsing all day until 3 or 4 pm, getting ready for the show, hopefully, with time for a shower, although this didn't always happen, competing in the show, then, getting on the bus to head back to Florida, without a shower, getting back to the Shrine sometime around midnight on Sunday. Let me tell you, 24 hours on a bus full of people that haven't had a shower can make you re-think the whole drum corps experience in a hurry!

6. There are also many band directors in this area that are actively hostile to drum corps. They don't want their members to miss camp, or to come back

with an "attitude"

7. Let's also not forget the fact that many northern corps draw many members from Florida and the Orlando area.

I think the fact that Heat Wave was able to field a competitive corps for 9 years and win two championships says a lot about the character of the corps and

of its members. Knocking the membership or BOD for not trying hard enough is unbelievably ignorant without knowing the facts.

Dave

Well said Dave. I really thiink most people that dont live here can appreciate what its like down here. As far as band directors being hostile tword drum corps, that statement is quite true-more so when you mention a senior corps(I remember trying to recruit for HW afew years back, and what a poor reception we got). I dont know how to change their mentality without them actually seeing a solid competition down here with some of the stronger northern corps, but i guess that will never happen. Benny

Well said Dave. I really thiink most people that dont live here can appreciate what its like down here. As far as band directors being hostile tword drum corps, that statement is quite true-more so when you mention a senior corps(I remember trying to recruit for HW afew years back, and what a poor reception we got). I dont know how to change their mentality without them actually seeing a solid competition down here with some of the stronger northern corps, but i guess that will never happen. Benny

Agree with Dave, Benny and others. It is very hard in in area's that did not have a lot of Corps to Grow & Progress. The High School Band leaders want total control over their people. They often see Drum Corps as a threat.

I also know that. I had the Honor and Privlege to march some with Heat Wave. Although only with the Honor Guard.

I met some Very Hard working people. With leaders and members like, Vic, JJ, Benny, and many others that lived and breathed Heat Wave. Both on and off the field. I was on some of those trips up North. Those members of the Corps worked as Hard as you could to put on a VERY Entertaining Show. The Crowds ALWAYS gave Excellent Crowd reaction to what they saw. The Corps may have been small in size, but they more than made up for it in the Quality of what they put out on the field.

Edited by LucysSkylinerAlumni

4. It is HOT and HUMID, much more than anybody up north can believe

5. The travel to go to any show is extensive and requires a lot of money and/or a LONG bus ride. A typical trip to a competition for Heat Wave consisted of

getting to the Bahia Shrine parking lot by 6 pm on Thursday night, driving until 6 pm or so on Friday, arriving at a school and taking an hour to eat and shower, rehearsing until 1 am, trying to sleep on a gym floor where typically the air conditioning was turned off for the summer, getting up at 6 am to eat and shower, once again, in a locker room shower with how many other people and, of course, the hot water was turned off for the summer, rehearsing all day until 3 or 4 pm, getting ready for the show, hopefully, with time for a shower, although this didn't always happen, competing in the show, then, getting on the bus to head back to Florida, without a shower, getting back to the Shrine sometime around midnight on Sunday. Let me tell you, 24 hours on a bus full of people that haven't had a shower can make you re-think the whole drum corps experience in a hurry!

Ah... Memories.

Anyway, I would also like to add that the public schools in Florida start their school year in early August, and are well into their Football/Marching Band season by the time Labor Day weekend rolls around.

I know JJ, Alan, Bill, Amanda, the BOD, and a bunch of other folks busted their behinds to keep the corps going. I know how much it meant to those folks. Kudos for getting the corps out of debt! I'm sure we will see you all again.

(p.s. Hi Dave. Say hi to Val for me.)

Ah... Memories.

Anyway, I would also like to add that the public schools in Florida start their school year in early August, and are well into their Football/Marching Band season by the time Labor Day weekend rolls around.

Didn't know that....has that always been the case?

it would certainly be a factor in Florida corps lifespans....

Not true anymore about the start of school. We begin August 20th or so. I guess the State decided to catch up with the northern states.

Ah... Memories.

I know JJ, Alan, Bill, Amanda, the BOD, and a bunch of other folks busted their behinds to keep the corps going. I know how much it meant to those folks. Kudos for getting the corps out of debt! I'm sure we will see you all again.

(p.s. Hi Dave. Say hi to Val for me.)

Weren't very many? How many does this require? The three we've already heard from here have already indicated that their objections to the concept were more than adequately presented. Are you suggesting that it would be justified to ignore their point of view simply because several of their geographically-distant peers were not in attendance that day?

well, if you want to have a voice, it is a good idea to show up,................distance or not,..........