Heat Wave Inactive?

No matter how many people a corps may have they are proud to be a part of the drum corps community. There's a lot of blood, sweat, tears, years and months in producing a show for the general public. Remember back in the 50's and 60's (well some of us can), when prelims took two full days for DCA, and DCI corps? Now we're down to a few hours. Drum Corps organizations today have another issue to contend with, the price of gas!!! Sometimes the average drum corps joe has to make the decision that week between paying bills and having enough money to drive to the show that weekend to compete, plus keeping up with his dues to belong to his performing corps. And after all that sacrifice for a year to get the show ready and then someone says "Well now you have to have so many in your corps to perform"..The board and instructional staff of a corps bust butt all year long to keep all their members motivated in belonging to their corps and bang!!!, you suddenly get shot down. What's the next step for next year? No performing corps under 50? 75?.. Let's face it folks we have an expensive hobby, plus we hear from our friends and neighbors "Why are you wasting your time with that stuff, what do you get out of it"? Well, I've performed with small groups and large groups and no matter what the size of the group, they all have one thing in common.."Heart"!!! I hated to hear that Heat Wave was going inactive, and I'm sure there will be more entertaining corps added to the same list. I think there will be a great deal of interest in MCA (MINI CORPS ASSOCIATION) in the next few years, and it just might save some excellent entertainment from going under...

Just my 2 cents for what it's worth....

Bob Menear

Arranger/Instructor Steel City Ambassadors Present

Steel City Ambassadors Mini Corps 2007

US Nato Naval Show Band 1967-68

Hawthorne Cabs 1969-70

Pittsburgh Rockets 1972

High School Band Director 1972-2002

Theater work backing most Motown touring groups in the Pittsburgh, Pa area 1972-present

Steel City Ambassadors 1980-Present

National Guard Band NCOIC 1985-2007

Westshoremen 1981-82

Westshoremen Alumni Present

Shenandoah Sound 2005-06

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My main issue with the 35 rule is that there's no consession for when a corps unintentionally falls short. Should someones flight get delayed, the corps DCA experience changes overnight. Sure there's ways to cheat the rule, but should we really be talking about that, rather than the rule? The budgetary impact of this rule is enough for corps with up to 50 marching members to reconsider going to DCA and DCA shows. Do a show where only 34 members can make it and you just acquired several hundred in debt. Even though that 35th person had car trouble in route or some other issue. How many big corps do shows where 10 to 30 of their members can't make it on that weekend? Do you really think it's any different for the small corps?

Would you have had MLK let civil rights legislation "go" if it hadn't passed?

Sam I wasn't writing about the 35 members rule...

I was writing about HW going inactive...

This why I stop posting because of whatever I post you have to reply to, because you think I'm posting it to you...

:laugh: :sshh:

I think we all appreciate that JJ gave us the official Heat Wave word on the termination of the corps. I am sad about this because during the 1970's and early 80's, I saw all junior and senior corps in the Western NY area fold. From the Hamburg Kingsmen to the Royal Coachmen to Imperial regiment and finally the Frontiersmen. Now add to those corps Dunkirk Patriots, Greece Cadets, Mighty Liberators, Alpine Girls, Mello Dears, Vestal Grenadiers, Mark Twain Cadets, Squires, Avany Garde, etc. You get the picture?

Now zip south and maybe some of you can remember The Floridians, Florida Wave, Devil Dogs, Suncoast Sound, Magic, etc. Now add Heat wave. I am sad because drum corps' have folded. No matter where you are, when a corps folds it is a sad time. I have memories of all those corps above and that's all I have. When I go to the show in Buffalo and Rochester I'll still get to see Troopers, SC Vanguard and Madison but all those corps that were around 25, 30, 40 years ago that are gone are sadly missed by many of us. Florida has one drum corps that is competitive (Teal Sound). That's it!

I think that instead of arguing about the DCA ruling, which gets us nowhere, we should brainstorm ideas and present these ideas to corps directors this summer. DCP can be a good tool but it can also lead to negativity and I see that in this post. I agree that the rule should go but it needs to be brought up by the corps directors.

Let's put our heads together and be positive!

I live in Orlando and have seen the Heat Wave a few times. They struggled since day one.

While I respect that people worked hard and have good memories...30 people do NOT make a drum corps in my opinion.

I would have to say that your opinion depends on your definition of a drum corps. If your definition is that a drum corps is a group of people out busting their ### to work together as a team to put on the best show that they are capable of week after week, traveling thousands of miles in one weekend to put that show on the field for an audience and to be judged, making friendships and bonds that very few other people will ever have the opportunity to, then yes, 30 people do actually make a drum corps.

Numbers are good, numbers are great, and I would love to march in a 50 man hornline again, but numbers don't make a drum corps, the people do, and, believe me, it takes a lot of dedication to belong to a small corps that is struggling with money and membership.

I think, overall, Heat Wave always fielded a good, entertaining corps. Nobody who was not in Heat Wave could ever understand what we had to go through to put that corps on the field.

That is drum corps, my friend.

Dave McBurney

Heat Wave of Orlando 1992-2004

I would have to say that your opinion depends on your definition of a drum corps. If your definition is that a drum corps is a group of people out busting their ### to work together as a team to put on the best show that they are capable of week after week, traveling thousands of miles in one weekend to put that show on the field for an audience and to be judged, making friendships and bonds that very few other people will ever have the opportunity to, then yes, 30 people do actually make a drum corps.

Numbers are good, numbers are great, and I would love to march in a 50 man hornline again, but numbers don't make a drum corps, the people do, and, believe me, it takes a lot of dedication to belong to a small corps that is struggling with money and membership.

I think, overall, Heat Wave always fielded a good, entertaining corps. Nobody who was not in Heat Wave could ever understand what we had to go through to put that corps on the field.

Dave McBurney

Your words are well taken. I may be a bit of a carmudgeon.

The Heat Wave tried mightily.

RIP

[Dave,

Great post!!! Yes, Dave would know because he and his wife put in tons of hours with Heat Wave. Nice seeing you again Dave.

Keith

quote name=dave27th' date='May 28 2007, 09:28 AM' post='1856447]

Dave McBurney

No matter how many people a corps may have they are proud to be a part of the drum corps community. . ,

Just my 2 cents for what it's worth....

Bob Menear

Arranger/Instructor Steel City Ambassadors Present

Steel City Ambassadors Mini Corps 2007

US Nato Naval Show Band 1967-68

Hawthorne Cabs 1969-70

Pittsburgh Rockets 1972

High School Band Director 1972-2002

Theater work backing most Motown touring groups in the Pittsburgh, Pa area 1972-present

Steel City Ambassadors 1980-Present

National Guard Band NCOIC 1985-2007

Westshoremen 1981-82

Westshoremen Alumni Present

Shenandoah Sound 2005-06

Amen Bob, You looked great in Harrisburg!