Corps member distribution for one show

I read a thread earlier asking about hornline sizes, guard numbers, and percussion numbers for this year, and it got me thinking...

What ways have corps been innovative in the past regarding the distribution of member numbers?

For example, usually corps go for 20-12-20-12 in the brassline, or something somewhat close to that. Then the percussion section is 30+ and the guard is what's left for 128, or 135...

What shows have broken that mold creatively, even if only for a short time? Those shows have been some of the most creative, effective, beautiful, or "off-the-wall" uses of personel in a show! I can think of quite a few shows that break the traditional model stated above:

Phantoms 2006 ballad. Trumpets pick up baritones for the ballad...

Star of Indiana 1986 Euphs pick up Contras during a portion of the show.

Troopers 1985? Full corps picks up silks during the percussion feature.

Bluecoats 1988 - Guard picks up sops during closer. Did they actually play the last note?

Bluecoats in the 90s - Guard picks up saxes ( C Jam Blues?) Did they actually play anything? LOL

Bluecoats & VK 88 and 89 - A million snares keep being added during the drum-to-drum sections

Garfield in 1986... Huge hornline, really small guard....

Freelancers mid 80s ( 85?) many sops picked up piccolo sops during Bells and screamed away...

Any more to add? I'm actually curious about more recent shows and even older shows where this type of thing happened.

Oh, I forgot... Cavaliers '89 & '90 During percussion feature... Some guard members pick up equipment with drumheads in them and hold "drums" that are played on.

Edited by jjeffeory

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't it in 82 tat the Freelancers had the guard playing sopranos in the opener? Could be wrong.

Wasn't it in 82 tat the Freelancers had the guard playing sopranos in the opener? Could be wrong.

Cool, I know someone who marched that year. I'll have to ask.

It was 84 in the opening bit....when they started in on "What is Hip" they came forward and put down the sops.

Additional thing...they dressed in normal corps tops and dumped them when they put teh horns down...they also did some guard-like work with teh horns...which meant it was a good thing they were P/R horns!

It was 84 in the opening bit....when they started in on "What is Hip" they came forward and put down the sops.

Additional thing...they dressed in normal corps tops and dumped them when they put teh horns down...they also did some guard-like work with teh horns...which meant it was a good thing they were P/R horns!

Hah! Leave it to you, Sam! You know way too much. :P

Now breaking the 84 DVD out of the wrapper--just to double check.

Edited by ravedodger

Hah! Leave it to you, Sam! You know way too much. :P

Now breaking the 84 DVD out of the wrapper--just to double check.

Nah...I just have no life...besides, I'm pretty sure YOU have detailed memories of the year YOU marched!

Cavaliers 1989, a portion of the guard plays cymbals during the closer. Also, the 15 tenors in the beginning of the Cadets 1991 opener, Short Ride in a Fast Machine.

Edited by Hrothgar15

Madison Scouts 1981- 62 Brass on flag and 32 guard on rifle during drum solo.

Memphis Blues Brass Band 1982- Entire horn line on swing flags during Mercury (drum solo). Guard with larger versions of same flag design.

Madison Scouts 1988- Front ensemble on plates during push of Malaguena.

Bluecoats 1988 - Yes most of those guard members did actually play the sopranos.

Earlier in the season during the take 5 drum solo the tenors and cymbals picked up the snare drums while the snare players were on timbali's. this got changed mid way during the season to where the cymbals held ride for the tenor playes.

Didn't the Cavaliers guard in 1985 play a bunch of red cymbals during mars?

Cavaliers 1992 they had cymbal players who either played bass drum or did flag work. (I knew 2 guys in the cymbal line that year)

the 1993 bluecoats guard did not play the saxaphones.

in 1994 the bluecoats guard spun pool cues in the opening of the show (I wonder if they hustled the local pool halls for dues money?)