I have a question. I am a woodwind and I want to march DC really bad. The problem is that I tried learning trumpet and it didn't work that well. I have also tried mallets but I can't play fast at all or play with 4 mallets. Do any of ya'll have suggestions on what I should do?

Contra

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about the marching bands that DON'T perform at sporting events? I.e., the MB that comes from a school with no football team (and there are some). Are they not MB because they don't perform at sporting events? I still say you have to look at instrumentation only.

But most do, HS and colleges. We can always find exceptions to the rule.

Haha, nice to see we're debating this again:

1) You guys assume that WW's fail because no one will like them. DCI draws most because it's currently the most rehearsed out there. Blast II failing just because of WW's? Please, it's not like people are disgusted when they see a ww instrument.

2) "Just make your own circuit if you really want it!" This doesn't make sense either. It's much easier just to let woodwinds into DCI and make DCI bigger instead of channeling it off into different circuits.

3) There isn't much of a difference between BOA and DCI besides rehearsal hours and tour schedules. This is what most of us basically disagree on. With staffs interchanging between the two, and designs being stolen between the two, it really doesn't matter anymore.

4) The majority of people that are anti-WW are ignorantly anti-WW, the immature attitude (which they will never admit on here) of "psh, what the F*** I'd F***ing kick someone's ### if I saw a F***ing flute on the field". Lame <**>

2) "Just make your own circuit if you really want it!" This doesn't make sense either. It's much easier just to let woodwinds into DCI and make DCI bigger instead of channeling it off into different circuits.

But WHYYYY do woodwinds need to be let in? What's so terrible about drum corps being brass and percussion? Drum corps doesn't have to be equal-opportunity for instruments, and as the saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it..."

I feel like the last 15 pages of argument have been going in one big circle.

Haha, nice to see we're debating this again:

1) You guys assume that WW's fail because no one will like them. DCI draws most because it's currently the most rehearsed out there. Blast II failing just because of WW's? Please, it's not like people are disgusted when they see a ww instrument.

3) There isn't much of a difference between BOA and DCI besides rehearsal hours and tour schedules. This is what most of us basically disagree on. With staffs interchanging between the two, and designs being stolen between the two, it really doesn't matter anymore.

4) The majority of people that are anti-WW are ignorantly anti-WW, the immature attitude (which they will never admit on here) of "psh, what the F*** I'd F***ing kick someone's ### if I saw a F***ing flute on the field". Lame <**>

And what would be the benefits of WW being added to DCI?

And what would be the benefits of WW being added to DCI?

**cricket chirp**

I'm not one to usually respond, I like to kind of take things in, read oppinions, etc. But I have to voice my oppinion.

This might lack some tact. This might be uncouthe. But it's blunt and to the point. I know it will recieve a round of applause in some sectors and some groans in another.

1. It is STILL Drum and Bugle corps. While you are correct in stating that it's percussion and brass now, and while you're right, those changes were made while making the over all product BETTER and without straying very far from the original content. It's always been brass, it's always been percussion. The tools used are just a lot better. Drum Corps started post WWI, we're fighting a war in Iraq in 2007 now. The Technology's changed a little bit... for the better. While the activity has afforded some changes with the advancement of better instruments (does anyone still want to play a valveless g bugle when they could have the new yamaha trumpet?) adding woodwinds would be completely changing drum corps.

2. Marching woodwinds is the faggiest thing I have ever seen. I don't care. A flute player in a band uniform with an intense look on his/her face as he/she pops his/her flute to the box is the most ######## thing I have ever seen. The close second is when that same flute player rips the flute from their face.

not gonna lie, but sax isn't that much better

by the way have fun explaining to the contras and euphs how your neck strap hurts

3. When you argue for woodwinds in a drum corps forum... it's just obvious you were around marching band first, and are still harboring your love for marching band... which is fine. So go to a college or high school and watch the marching band... it's okay, have fun, there will be a football game sometime while you're there too. those are fun as well.

4. If you have a problem with number 3. Then start your own marching music program that involves woodwinds. Hell, you might even be able to perform at a DCI show in exhibition. If someone else likes THAT they might start their own marching music ensemble that involves woodwinds. Just don't call yourselves drum corps, and don't compete against DCI corps.

5. I really don't want to waste rehersal time so you can change your reeds

6. I'll get really ###### off when you get to go inside during inclimate weather so your pads don't stick

7. I feel really bad for the first woodwind staff that has to ride with the drum and brass staffs.

7a. I don't even want to think of the fights that are bound to happen between brass and woodwind caption heads

8. Did I mention that it looks REALLY faggy to march woodwinds?

I'm not one to usually respond, I like to kind of take things in, read oppinions, etc. But I have to voice my oppinion.

This might lack some tact. This might be uncouthe. But it's blunt and to the point. I know it will recieve a round of applause in some sectors and some groans in another.

1. It is STILL Drum and Bugle corps. While you are correct in stating that it's percussion and brass now, and while you're right, those changes were made while making the over all product BETTER and without straying very far from the original content. It's always been brass, it's always been percussion. The tools used are just a lot better. Drum Corps started post WWI, we're fighting a war in Iraq in 2007 now. The Technology's changed a little bit... for the better. While the activity has afforded some changes with the advancement of better instruments (does anyone still want to play a valveless g bugle when they could have the new yamaha trumpet?) adding woodwinds would be completely changing drum corps.

2. Marching woodwinds is the faggiest thing I have ever seen. I don't care. A flute player in a band uniform with an intense look on his/her face as he/she pops his/her flute to the box is the most ######## thing I have ever seen. The close second is when that same flute player rips the flute from their face.

not gonna lie, but sax isn't that much better

by the way have fun explaining to the contras and euphs how your neck strap hurts

3. When you argue for woodwinds in a drum corps forum... it's just obvious you were around marching band first, and are still harboring your love for marching band... which is fine. So go to a college or high school and watch the marching band... it's okay, have fun, there will be a football game sometime while you're there too. those are fun as well.

4. If you have a problem with number 3. Then start your own marching music program that involves woodwinds. Hell, you might even be able to perform at a DCI show in exhibition. If someone else likes THAT they might start their own marching music ensemble that involves woodwinds. Just don't call yourselves drum corps, and don't compete against DCI corps.

5. I really don't want to waste rehersal time so you can change your reeds

6. I'll get really ###### off when you get to go inside during inclimate weather so your pads don't stick

7. I feel really bad for the first woodwind staff that has to ride with the drum and brass staffs.

7a. I don't even want to think of the fights that are bound to happen between brass and woodwind caption heads

8. Did I mention that it looks REALLY faggy to march woodwinds?

You have made some very valid points. It's just very unfortunate that the words "faggiest" and "faggy" will lower your credibility level.

You have made some very valid points. It's just very unfortunate that the words "faggiest" and "faggy" will lower your credibility level.

Agreed; but I agree with most everything he said.

while those words may lower my credibility level, I will say that adjective is the only one I could come up with at the time that accurately describes a flute player trying to be "hard corps"

it's just plain faggy