'91

'02

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm.....

To listen to the Buddy Rich recording of Channel One Suite, and then Blue Devils, you knew you were listening to a new way of playing and writing music for drum corps. They had the drum break down to practically EXACT what Buddy played. The drum line came out with the North Drum tenors, and ten snare drummers that played in a crisp, clean and uniform way that was awesome to watch and listen to. As I mentioned, the drum corps idiom itself was forever changed by the Blue Devils in 1976
That drumline (which included the legendary 10 man snare line) almost played like Buddy if he had a drum corps at his disposal.

This corps broke the rules and showed everyone that it was alright to be different. I think all modern corps have to tip their cap to the 1976 Blue Devils; because if they didn't put on the show they did, the history of drum corps would be a lot different.

dccorpsfan---it seems to me that you kind of liked what Geno wrote :blink:

Geno -- I completly agree. 1986 was my first year as a huge DCI fan, and it was very exciting just a few years after that to get a cassette of the 76 show.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The '76 Blue Devils weren't the first corps to play jazz music...but they were the first corps to play jazz.

And, dccorpsfan, I know you replied about this earlier, but I guess I just completly disagee. Just my opinion

My top three favorite/best Blue Devil shows are also my top three favorite drum corps shows of all time. I can not split them up no matter how I try. So, in no order, the three favorite Blue Devils/Corps shows of all time, to me are:

1. 1982 Blue Devils

1. 1988 Blue Devils

1. 1994 Blue Devils

~G~

(The next three favorite BD shows are: 1989, 1984, 1999)

(then 1991, 2000, 1986)

My top three favorite/best Blue Devil shows are also my top three favorite drum corps shows of all time. I can not split them up no matter how I try. So, in no order, the three favorite Blue Devils/Corps shows of all time, to me are:

1. 1982 Blue Devils

1. 1988 Blue Devils

1. 1994 Blue Devils

~G~

(The next three favorite BD shows are: 1989, 1984, 1999)

(then 1991, 2000, 1986)

Wow those were exactly my picks. Even your next three in line. Great minds think alike. B)

Sheesh just three?

I also like 2000 and 95