Favorite Soloists.

Which one???

All of them are bad###, but I was referring to the very first one.

BD, I have noticed, tends to attract some of the best solo snare and tenor players, at least as indicated by I&E.

I've listened to the solos that I do not remember too well or not have heard. I am still going to go with Kevin Creasey from Glassmen 2001. He did a great job in 2002 but I still think he put more passion into 2001.

So many to choose from (many already noted), but I'll go with Tim Meehan BD, VK, Crossmen, SCV & BD again 1989-1994.

John. Is Tim your younger brother, cousin? Anyway, I remember him from Crossmen

and that opening Fiddler solo from 92....awesome!

SCOTT STEWARD (Soprano) - BD '93 (Ellis - esp Strawberry Soup) - '95(?) :rock::doh: also the Freelancers '90 (Batman intro).

I also had the pleasure of hearing Scott many times on MELLOPHONE with the Disneyland Kingdom Corps (Anaheim).

Thank you for the Malaguena solo (a la MS '88) in my FACE!!!! b**bs b**bs b**bs

Like John Meehan, I can't help but.......

:rock::doh::doh::blush::blush::blush::blush:

Thank you! :)

In no particular order, my heros are...

* Roger Deloza - 1987-1989 Freelancers soprano soloist. This man was one of my best friends for many years. Took me under his wing in 1988 when I joined the Freelancers and set an example for me of how I would approach what I do as a soloist in future years. Sadly, this great man passed away just before having an opportunity to watch me age out as a soloist for Blue Devils in 1995.

* John Meehan - (Yes John, I'm going to make you blush again) (1987-1989 Blue Devils Soprano soloist - now Blue Devils Brass instructor). The very first show I was at with the Freelancers in 1988 (at age 14), I heard John do the Old Black Magic solo and he was an instant hero of mine. I remember sitting in the stands next to Roger and saying "Roger, you are awsome but THAT GUY RIGHT THERE is what I want to be...and where I want to be" (Roger patted me on the back and chuckled but a few other Freelancers sitting around me were not amused with the last part of that statement). To this very day, John still remains a hero of mine - but of a different kind now that we are both brass instructors - he stands as an example for me as what a great brass instructor is. I love watching him work in front of the Blue Devils brass line. It's a lesson every time I get the opportunity. He is also just an all around great guy (told you I would make you blush).

* Jerry Noonan (1970s and early 80s North Star Soprano Soloist) - The first DCI video I ever owned was the 1980 full Championship Finals. The first corps on that video was the North Star and this guy gave me goosbumps. The Ole cadenza to this day remains as one of the best soprano soloist moments in my book.

Edited by torn8o

So many to choose from (many already noted), but I'll go with Tim Meehan BD, VK, Crossmen, SCV & BD again 1989-1994.

Ahhhh Tim. Such a soft spoken guy - yet a BURNIN soloist!!!! I guess he felt he only needed his horn to make his loud statements for him. Yes, another great one!

There have been several soloists that really made an impact on me. They have included: Barbara Maroney(Garfield 1983,84) on mellophone, the soprano soloists from the following corps and years: bridgemen (1977, 78), Guardsmen (1979), Madison (1975), North Star (1979, 80), Pete Bond (Phantom 1977), and Blue Devils (1980) on La Suerta. Also, the Colts used to have a really good baritone soloists in the late 70s/early 80s and Madison had the same great bari soloist in 1978, 79. I wish I knew names, but I don't.

I have 2 heros...

Larry Shane: 1990 Blue Devils. He is the reason I marched and I got to meet him at one of our camps at Suncoast Sound in 1994. What a pleasure. He also whipped his 1990 solo for us while on the road in 1994.

Scott Steward: 1988 - 1992 Freelancers - 1993/1995 Blue Devils. **pardon me Scott if your read this** After browsing online off and on through the years, I found Scott on here and I am looking forward to meeting my 2nd but equally influential hero this summer.

Edited by fick