Drum Corps Moments That Make You Cringe

We had this kid who'd dad was a driver for the corps. He was a dirty little bas****. The showers in Teterboro Vo Tech were filthy, and the drains kept backing up. So here we are, up to our ankles in shower water and human funk, and we see this big ole' turd come floating by. This truck driver's kid, about 9 at the time, thought it would be funny to "Lay some cable" in the shower. You've never seen 80-plus dudes scream like little girls until you see THAT!!

That is a Box 5 cringe!!!

But was the water pressure OK???

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the "Wayback Machine":

Racine Kilties, 1972 World Open Prelims at the Manning Bowl in Massachusetts. The corps was supposed to mark time for eight counts of silence (the old "eight for nothing"), then begin their out-of-concert tune (The Great Gate of Kiev, I believe it was).

However....one baritone jumped the gun and came in on Count One.... VERY loudly, with authority. That note just hung in the air for what seemed like an eternity before the rest of the corps made its entrance. Yikes.

Fran

Our (Scouts) finals show in '79. It was like a bad dream unrolling in slow motion- an 11 minute cringe.

Reminds me of another cringe-worthy moment (from on the field).

This past year, at the Denver show, our amps cut out, and it caused mass confusion. There was a great big tear for half of our second production. Somehow, it came back together. But still... *cringe*.

Ah, I was at that show, technical problems seemed to be everywhere that day. A lot of amps were cutting out in bad places. But I did love the Crossmen show, were there really problems? Our small group didn't even notice from where we were that anything was amiss.

But the worst moment, doesn't even make me cringe, I go into full body shudders when I think about it, was what happened during the SCV show. It was about half was through the show I believe, at a very quiet portion, when all of a sudden..."AUDIO PERFORMANCE DOWNLOADS ARE THE BEST WAY..." A blaring announcement cuts in through INVESCOs PA system. The classic response was the entire audience (at least on the middle tier) looking up at where the press box would be. It went for about 15 seconds before someone finally shut it off...I think someone lost their job that day...

Didn't seem to affect anyone on the field though...

opening statement of glassmens beethoven show......just the first APD of the season. The rest of the recordings and live performances sounded good.

1989 Blue Devils - Soprano Solo that crashed and burn, What makes you cringe more is hearing the chord sustained by the hornline with the Soprano player desprately trying to recover to no avail.

1993 Cadets - Snare Solo, it was good in the beginning, then towards the end it got dirty. I believe that cost them the Drum Trophy in IMHO.

1991 Cadets - Close up of the goofing lookin cats playing xylo on Prelude, Fugue and Riffs.

1994 SCV Drumline - Watching the YouTube clip of the drumline playing their book on finals night, yikes. Made worst by then watching the 1993 SCV Drumline play their book. Amazing what difference it makes in who's writing the book.

2006 Blue Devils - " I have an offer you can't refuse"

2005 Blue Devils - Dance Derby debacle

Forgot which corps had the signing on the field, not cadets, thought that was bad too.

Edited by Jeffe77

1989 Blue Devils...BUT for the girl in the color guard near the end of the opener who keeps spinning (they were doing drop spins, and I guess she lost count or something). It's a pretty bad mess up at DCI.

2000 Cavaliers - the saber drop and rifle drop - both in featured parts during the show.

Later,

Mike

1989 Blue Devils - Soprano Solo that crashed and burn, What makes you cringe more is hearing the chord sustained by the hornline with the Soprano player desprately trying to recover to no avail.

1993 Cadets - Snare Solo, it was good in the beginning, then towards the end it got dirty. I believe that cost them the Drum Trophy in IMHO.

1991 Cadets - Close up of the goofing lookin cats playing xylo on Prelude, Fugue and Riffs.

1994 SCV Drumline - Watching the YouTube clip of the drumline playing their book on finals night, yikes. Made worst by then watching the 1993 SCV Drumline play their book. Amazing what difference it makes in who's writing the book.

2006 Blue Devils - " I have an offer you can't refuse"

2005 Blue Devils - Dance Derby debacle

Forgot which corps had the signing on the field, not cadets, thought that was bad too.

Actually, I have a copy of the 93 cadets field tape. The snare solo was fine at the end. As you get closer to the mics, it distorts. Same thing happened to us in 1990. The snare solo gets thicker and thicker as we got closer (we were RIGHT on the front sideline at the end)....I have that tape, as well, and it was crystal clear. It doesn't appear to do that to mylar as much, even though mylar has a thicker sound to it. Most of the near-field tenor sounds and solos are quite clear...I don't know why it does it to kevlar. It was like that from the late 80s to the mid 90s. I'll have to look around in my boxes o'stuff to see if I can still find those tapes...if I can find 'em, I'll post a link.

Edited by Cadetsnare

Off topic, but who wrote that book? I thought it was Scott Johnson again, but perhaps I'm wrong then....

Edited by DanjrusMcRynky

Actually, I have a copy of the 93 cadets field tape. The snare solo was fine at the end. As you get closer to the mics, it distorts. Same thing happened to us in 1990. The snare solo gets thicker and thicker as we got closer (we were RIGHT on the front sideline at the end)....I have that tape, as well, and it was crystal clear. It doesn't appear to do that to mylar as much, even though mylar has a thicker sound to it. Most of the near-field tenor sounds and solos are quite clear...I don't know why it does it to kevlar. It was like that from the late 80s to the mid 90s. I'll have to look around in my boxes o'stuff to see if I can still find those tapes...if I can find 'em, I'll post a link.

Point taken...Now I don't have to cringe. Thanks for the clarification. :)

You can post tape, that would be fantastic. I can add it to my Judge's Tape collection

Edited by Jeffe77