Alumni spectacular

I understand there will be severe penalties for going overtime this year,................. :sshh:

I realize this was a tounge-'n-cheek comment but, some contest sponsors do threaten "reduced performance fees" for going over ... since the first DCA Classic, I can think of only a few corps that went over by a significant amount ... it's a 10 corps show, so pretty predictable ... winter stage shows are ususally more strict about timings but, most corps cooperate and adjust their show length to the sponsor's rule ...

Andy "Alumni Corps have no 'points' to give away" Lisko

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, in my opinion,...................DCA should embrace and include 4 major divisions

DCA Open Class Corps

DCA Class A Corps

DCA Mini Corps

DCA Exhibition Corps

charge each level some form of fees/dues,.............get them all linked and listed on the website,.........etc,..........and get them all under the same umbrella

YES!

I realize this was a tounge-'n-cheek comment but, some contest sponsors do threaten "reduced performance fees" for going over ... since the first DCA Classic, I can think of only a few corps that went over by a significant amount ... it's a 10 corps show, so pretty predictable ... winter stage shows are ususally more strict about timings but, most corps cooperate and adjust their show length to the sponsor's rule ...

Andy "Alumni Corps have no 'points' to give away" Lisko

What is the time limit for Alumni corps at the DCA show ?

If we except the DCA Alumni Spectacular,

in which cities are the other big alumni shows ?

What are the dates and the corps on the line-up ?

There are several indoor shows in the springtime months on the East coast..... Baltimore, MD, Harrisburg, PA, Elverson, PA, Rochester, NY, and other locales....that feature a number of alumni corps each year. The lineups tend to vary a bit from year to year.

One of the shows that's usually held in the spring.....Archer-Epler's "Brass Reunion" show..... is being held on Sept. 15 this year in the Philadelphia area.

Sorry to be so vague here, but it's up to the corps/groups that sponsor each show to determine the lineups for each show.

Fran

No, in my opinion,...................DCA should embrace and include 4 major divisions

DCA Open Class Corps

DCA Class A Corps

DCA Mini Corps

DCA Exhibition Corps

charge each level some form of fees/dues,.............get them all linked and listed on the website,.........etc,..........and get them all under the same umbrella

What are the chances that something like that happens in the near future ?

What are the chances that something like that happens in the near future ?

I have advocated for something like this in the past,..................It was when Mickey P was pres, and Tom P was still around,............

below is a post I put up a couple/few months ago that ties in with this subject,..................the idea needs to be further molded and solidified into a proposal,.............................I guess,.....................but I am not sure how to go about proposing something like this to DCA,...........................or if they would even hear it, from a has been,...................

"Increase the DCA competing corps member fee to say $500.00,..................30 corps equals $15,000.00..............start a affiliate corps organization that includes Alumni corps, non-compeditive corps, parade corps, etc. with a membership fee say $200.00, and have a lottery system to replace the selection process giving the corps that want to perform at the alumni spectacular equal access, in exchange for the $200.00 get the affiliates a link on the DCA website, and start their own board/subcommittee under the DCA umbrella that gets these more well healed folks more involved in the overall propogation of the compeditive activity. Organize more standstill performance oppotunities in smaller cities and areas featuring these "Old School" groups, as the show budget would be much smaller than a full blown DCA contest. present this group of corps to the larger parades and festivals that could be identified through this network and get these corps to put on concert performances in conjunction with the festival, etc. Allow these groups to feel like thety have some ownership in the overall growth of the activity, Promote the DCA contests arround the particular area, get these people more connected, and do some cage rattling/fund-raising .................etc, etc, etc................ some 50 or so affiliate corps in a nationwide network equals another $10,000.00,...............between the 2 you have generated another $25K, that could go towards DCA offices, phone line,..................."

DCA Open Class Corps

DCA Class A Corps

DCA Mini Corps

DCA Exhibition Corps

It would be wonderful to have all the divisions under the DCA name because then you could have the same rules for all of the divisions. Obviously Exhibition corps are doing their own thing, but the 3 competitive groups would all be under the same rules and regs...

I'm not sure but I think that the Mini Corps stuff is under somewhat different rules than the Open and Class A corps.... I could be wrong (my apologies if I am)

That's a good thought. However, why would an autonomous Alumni Corps give up it's independence to fall under the authority of DCA? b**bs

Edited by YR-Rudi

That's a good thought. However, why would an autonomous Alumni Corps give up it's independence to fall under the authority of DCA? b**bs

not really "Authority",...............but more simply,..............an organized group, with its own sub-committee...................that helps foster the overall activity of All Age drum corps