Phantom Regiment shows...

Phantom Regiment shows  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Which Phantom Regiment show drew you into the organization or activity?

• 2003 (I'm sure there are a lot of you!)
    • 1994 (My year! Anyone??)
    • Previous show listed below
  2. 2. Which Phantom Regiment show drew you into the activity or organization?

• 1958 and before (Jim Wren & Co!)

This sprang out of the "Show of Shows BBQ and Alumni Tent" thread. I think it's safe to say that non-alum are allowed to chime in on both threads since guests of alum are allowed in the tent and many of you saw DC and PR after you aged out and couldn't march but were pulled into the activity or organization all the same. So chime in!

If you saw another corps or show or were drawn in by, say, Madison 75 or BD 76 feel free to start another thread. Not that you're not welcome here. Just only so much room for poll questions. Your opinions count, too.

Me, personally, PR 91 in Dallas. First show ever. Pretty hot! Show and temperatures. Hooked.

$1 to the first person who claims 94--my year!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, mods--I goofed. Can you alter the second poll? First question should be show listed in previous poll. Second question should be the first two years in the second poll combined. Won't let you continue unless you've voted on both questions. Oops--my goof. What happens when you give a trombone player access to information technology systems!!

Phantom Regiment is my favorite corps, because they stick to their classical reputation. To me, they're the big theater nerds of drum corps; which is right up my alley.

The 2003 show was the program that was the final nail in the coffin. Before I saw it, it was a toss up between the Blue Devils and Phantom. When I saw Harmonic Journey, it was all over. Now, I have to find the scratch to buy a Phantom Regiment t-shirt.

I'm not sure you can say that it was a Regiment show that made me a drum corps fan--but 79 was the first finals I saw, and I've been hooked ever since--and I did love Regiment's show.

I was HOOKED when I saw them the very first time in 81 with their Spartacus show. I even went home after that year and tried to memorize the drum solo. It blew me away. Shows with titles were very rare in my day, and they even handed out librettos to explain the meaning of each peice. The guard did a super job. Now if you want what show recently blew me away, 1996. PURE EMOTIONAL POWER :worthy::worthy::doh: . In the now days it woud be 2003. Again, pure emotional power. Phantom keeps me in complete peice with the way drum corps sounds. Drop dead last place :doh: was their lame attempt at being the Madison Scouts in 2005 with their cutesy American in Paris <**> . Sorry marching members. You pulled it off quite well, but that show is NOT Regiment. :(

While 1978 BD was my introduction and hook to DCI, Phantom is one of the corps that helped keep me around the activity. Elsa's Procession to the Cathedral in 1979 was glorious, and I ended up having that played (by an organist, not Phantom themselves as I would have preferred) at my wedding. When I marched in another corps in 1982, I was absolutely enthralled by that Phantom horn sound! And what outstanding musical selections they have provided for us over the years - such as 1812 Overture, Songs from The Winter Palace, Bacchanale, Fire of Eternal Glory, the opener and closer from '96, all of 2003 and 2006, and more - just wow!!! What a drum corps! You certainly have me as a Phantom Phan!

It is hard for me to choose just one show/year as it was a progression for me over time. I was hooked on another corps until their style and attitudes manifested into something which I could not completely support, so I turned to Phantom Regiment who has not failed to deliver the goods!

The 1989 and 1991 shows captured my respect ***most shows did at that time as I was a newbie***, 1993 and 1994 brought me in closer...and then I moved to the Rockford area where I watched the progress of the 2001 and 2002 shows over the course of the season and then seeing 2002 live at my first finals in Madison, I became a real fan. Then came 2003 and the 2006 shows. They are a class organization who have provided many fans of Drum Corps an experience we desire and adore.

Now that I live in Indianapolis, I am looking forward to the chances of seeing the Regiment win their first "own" title and perhaps maybe more!

Actually, it was the 1978 Guardsmen show that amazed me and got me wanting more, but it was the 1978 Phantom Regiment show that got me hooked.

Never did I think in 1978 that I would end up marching my last two years with the Regiment.

BTW, Elsa's Procession To the Cathedral, one of my all-time favorite drum corps tunes, is the last tune I played in a Phantom Regiment uniform.

Edited by Jd83

I was HOOKED when I saw them the very first time in 81 with their Spartacus show. I even went home after that year and tried to memorize the drum solo. It blew me away. Shows with titles were very rare in my day, and they even handed out librettos to explain the meaning of each peice. The guard did a super job. Now if you want what show recently blew me away, 1996. PURE EMOTIONAL POWER :worthy::worthy::doh: . In the now days it woud be 2003. Again, pure emotional power. Phantom keeps me in complete peice with the way drum corps sounds. Drop dead last place :doh: was their lame attempt at being the Madison Scouts in 2005 with their cutesy American in Paris <**> . Sorry marching members. You pulled it off quite well, but that show is NOT Regiment. :(

Yeah, I hardly ever respond to posts like this anymore, but...I should comment...

The Madison Scouts do not OWN "American in Paris." The 1987 show was cool and all, and is one of my favourite Madison shows, but let's face it guys...that show was not clean, either drill-wise or music-wise, and it hardly "0wn3d" Gershwin's piece from a performance perspective.

Phantom Regiment, on the other hand, has performed "An American in Paris" three times. Twice before the Scouts ever did it. So, if anything, the Scouts had a lame attempt at being the Phantom Regiment, not the other way around.

Now granted, I have a pretty strong Regiment bias, but I think they performed the ever-loving heck out of the Rhapsody show, and had the 1987 Scouts and 2005 Regiment gone head to head, Regiment would have spanked them by several points (this is all conjecture and my opinion, we shall of course never know what would have happened). I just didn't care too much for the implication that Regiment was trying to be the Scouts, just like I wouldn't care for the implication that the Scouts were trying to be Regiment the year they did the Russian show.

Das ist alles. Back to the dissertation. 2 weeks until the defense.

It was their '95 show that did it for me.