DCI.org Fan Network

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a one-year subscription that is paid for through September, so they just shut off my service that is already paid for. Bad business.

Hopefully it is just a start-up snafu...besides, I don't think DCI is dumb enough (I think... :sleeping: ) to open itself up to a breach-ov-contract suit...

Edited by prodigal bari

Server is working now with speed, but I can't login. You get an "OOPS" screen. Just gets better. Hope they improve on the start. They are capable of doing better.

I have the same problem. I have not been able to login since the new site premiered. I have sent a few emails to DCI with no response. Anyone else have the same problem?

The audio archives do not play for me (Platinum member). Anyone else with this problem?

I have been trying to compile a pros and cons list to see if I can justify the hefty price of the new fan network. Based on the fan network promo page on dci.org here's what I've come up with:

Pro's - what has improved to justify a price increase

-Full shows available after broadcast, not just clips.

-Multiple camera angles

Cons - what we have lost

-No Field Pass Radio

-No Field Pass TV

-No The Beat

-No 3 month option

-$30 increase over pereivious cost

-$.50 increase in APD's

I have to say, considering that they raised the price by such a substantial amount and removed the purchase option used by most (the 3 mo. option) they have done a very poor job of selling the new fan network. I see absolutley nothing in their promo that justifies such a significant jump in cost. Did Dan Acheson work in the cable TV industry before he took over? :P

I'm wondering what everyone thinks about the new Fan Network (formerly known as Season Pass) at DCI.org.

A platinum membership gains you access to all DCI live streaming events, but wasn't it $90? That seems like quite a jump from last year's 3 month Season Pass membership of $30 or $40 (can't remember exactly how much it was). Don't you think?

Gold (free) members can buy live streams for individual events (similar to pay per view), but DCI.org doesn't say how much each event costs? My guess? Around $20-$30 each.

Seems like prices have gone up. I may just buy one or two events this year. Semi-finals for sure, maybe one other one. Anyone else have any thoughts?

I've been a member of season pass since it's inception, and have been very hyped with DCI's progress with their subscription service. Their summer coverage has been top notch, and has grown by leaps and bounds through out the season.

That being said...

Words can't describe how disappointed I am in their new Fan Pass thing. I had every intetions of purchasing their season-long pass for $40 or so, as I thought it was worth it for their season coverage. Now, however, I see it is almost $100 for the entire year, and it's just not worth it for roughly 10 months worth of a subsription. DCI has promised since the Season Pass inception that they would be offering lots of off-season coverage, and to my knowledge they've offered next to nothing. During the off season you can listen to streams of finalist corps (I have the CD's from everyone going by to '72, as well as recordings from earlier than that), and little else. So for me it's a matter of spending almost $100 for about two months worth of solid coverage. Not only is that more than I can afford at this time (teachers in my kneck of the woods don't get paid through out the summer, so summer is always kind of tight money wise with my wife and I, who is also a teacher), but I refuse to pay for a full year of a subscriptoin while only getting two month's worth of services.

I might do the pay-per-view once or twice, but I doubt it. During that point of the summer when I would be willing to pay for quality shows (the later-season regionals), I will probably be able to find a better use for the money, especially if the pay-per-views are more than $10. If it were a pay-per-view on cable TV, I'd definitely do it. But last year there were more than one or two issues when streaming shows (I'm on a Mac), and if that happened while I was streaming the one show I paid for, I would be livid. And sorry, DCI, but at this point I have little faith that won't happen; last year was great, and I easily justified to my self that that entire season as more than satisfying. But there were major technical glitches for at least 1/4 or 1/3 of the shows I streamed, making the odds of that happening this year for one of the shows I pay for greater than I care to gamble.

I'd love nothing more than for DCI to reconsider, but I guess they have to pay their bills as well, and see they maybe see this as a big money-maker for them. Unfortunately, instead of getting some money from me (and others, based on this and other threads), they will be getting none. If that price per pay-per-view is $20 or $25, that's more than half of what last year's subscription cost, and I can't justify spending that on one show. I also have a feeling that their price will fluctuate from show to show (a mid-June show should be less than SA, which should be less than Semi's).

Oh well; good luck DCI...

I guess no one has noticed this but the prices for the pay-per-view streams have been posted:

June 16 Annapolis, MD

DCI Salutes America

This WebCast will be shown in multi-camera format. $14.95

June 30 Kalamazoo, MI

DCI Kalamazoo

This WebCast will be shown in high-camera format. $9.95

July 14 Atlanta, GA

DCI Atlanta, The Southeastern Championships

July 21 San Antonio, TX

DCI San Antonio, The Southwestern Championship

July 28 Indianapolis, IN

DCI Indianapolis

August 4 Stanford, CA

DCI West Championship

August 7 Pasadena, CA - Division II & III Prelims

August 10 Pasadena, CA - Division I Semifinals

This WebCast will be shown in multi-camera format. $19.95

Total: $119.60

I have signed up for the $89 Fan Network and am expecting DEMANDING big things from DCI.

One thing that is noticeably different is the format for the video. It is playing in Flash format through a Brightcove player. I'm wondering if the stream will come through the same player or if we'll be able to use Windows Media Player as we were last year.

I guess no one has noticed this but the prices for the pay-per-view streams have been posted:

June 16 Annapolis, MD

DCI Salutes America

June 30 Kalamazoo, MI

DCI Kalamazoo

This WebCast will be shown in high-camera format. $9.95

July 14 Atlanta, GA

DCI Atlanta, The Southeastern Championships

July 21 San Antonio, TX

DCI San Antonio, The Southwestern Championship

July 28 Indianapolis, IN

DCI Indianapolis

August 4 Stanford, CA

DCI West Championship

August 7 Pasadena, CA - Division II & III Prelims

August 10 Pasadena, CA - Division I Semifinals

This WebCast will be shown in multi-camera format. $19.95

Total: $119.60

I have signed up for the $89 Fan Network and am expecting DEMANDING big things from DCI.

One thing that is noticeably different is the format for the video. It is playing in Flash format through a Brightcove player. I'm wondering if the stream will come through the same player or if we'll be able to use Windows Media Player as we were last year.

Thanks; that's cheaper than I feared it might be

June 16 Annapolis, MD

DCI Salutes America

The multi-cam format really turns me off to this. Especially in the early season shows when I seriously doubt the people running the cameras know where I'm supposed to be looking. I hate nothing more than missing a really awesome move because the camera operators decided I need an up close look at a mallet player.

All of the archived video was saved in Flash. The live streams were Windows Media, and I doubt that they would be changing things this summer. If they were going to require some special viewer to watch the live broadcasts, then they are taking a major risk.

At least the first show is VOD, so if the ripping doesn't work out perfectly I can still watch the show later.