DCI.org Fan Network

I'm trying to decide if I should spend the $90 or not. I live in Florida and there are no shows coming anywhere near me this year, unless I want to drive over 5 hrs to Atlanta. This means I will have to get all of my drum corps via internet this year (this will be the first time in almost 10 years that I have not been to a live show). I was all set to get the platinum package but then noticed it's $90. One question I have is... say I have to work the night of one of the web casts. Could I go back later and watch it if I have the platinum package? If so, I could see where it could be worth $90. I mean, I don't want to pay for something if I'm never going to get a chance to watch it.

$90 is a lot, and it's why I've decided to just to get a couple pay per view webcast this summer (probably Atlanta and Semi-finals). It will be cheaper, and I don't have 8 weekends free this summer to sit down for a webcast. The good news is that DCI said that Platinum members will be able to go back and watch all the webcasted shows whenever they want. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this was one of the "Platinum" benefits. So even if you have to work that night, I think you can go back and watch it later.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

$90 is a lot, and it's why I've decided to just to get a couple pay per view webcast this summer (probably Atlanta and Semi-finals). It will be cheaper, and I don't have 8 weekends free this summer to sit down for a webcast. The good news is that DCI said that Platinum members will be able to go back and watch all the webcasted shows whenever they want. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this was one of the "Platinum" benefits. So even if you have to work that night, I think you can go back and watch it later.

You are incorrect. There are only 3 of the 8 webcast shows that will be available in a video on demand format to Platinum members following the show.

From DCI.org:

Watch performances from your favorite Drum Corps International units... whenever you want...as often as you want! Available just days following tour events in Annapolis, MD, San Antonio, TX and The 2007 DCI World Championships Semifinals from the Rose Bowl Stadium in Pasadena, CA, you'll enjoy individual corps performances over and over again... all from the convenience of your computer.

Okay, so Platinum is basically same as last year, except that you get more options for streaming video and you can look back at the live streams for a few events in the days later?

What is gold? It seems like basically nothing for that, no APDs, etc....I guess I'll just read it, but seems kinda lame...

Since I won't be at any shows after Allentown, idk. I loved just $40-50 for the summer, but $90 is a big commitment, even if the service is improved. If Gold were "everything minus live streams" I would understand, but it's not.

Thanks; that's cheaper than I feared it might be

But you still have to buy the $30 gold membership to even buy the payperviews! Charging $50 extra for nothing but video replays and more streamed shows is a bad idea. They try to make it sound good, but Platinum is just slightly improved over last years offering (APDs for users have increased prices too)...why not just buy the DVDs? The gold membership, I looked it over again, it offers NOTHING. DCI Newsletters and the mere option to buy a pay per view event?

It cost $40 last year for all the platinum stuff and only a few live streams if I remember correctly (it was my first year with the pass). So more live streams plus replayability, how the heck does that justify that large of an increase? It should be 3 months for $49 and a year for $75, unless they were running it at a serious loss over the past few years. But with high ticket prices and $110 DVDs, I doubt all of our $40 subscriptions hurt them...

I guess it's Giants Stadium, Allentown, then lights out for the rest of the summer for me...

But you still have to buy the $30 gold membership to even buy the payperviews! Charging $50 extra for nothing but video replays and more streamed shows is a bad idea. They try to make it sound good, but Platinum is just slightly improved over last years offering (APDs for users have increased prices too)...why not just buy the DVDs? The gold membership, I looked it over again, it offers NOTHING. DCI Newsletters and the mere option to buy a pay per view event?

It cost $40 last year for all the platinum stuff and only a few live streams if I remember correctly (it was my first year with the pass). So more live streams plus replayability, how the heck does that justify that large of an increase? It should be 3 months for $49 and a year for $75, unless they were running it at a serious loss over the past few years. But with high ticket prices and $110 DVDs, I doubt all of our $40 subscriptions hurt them...

I guess it's Giants Stadium, Allentown, then lights out for the rest of the summer for me...

The Gold membership is free.

ok, so after going over what this membership really gives you, this is pretty much what you get for $90...

1) You automatically get access to the webcasts. This would save you $30 if you ended up doing pay per view on each one. But if you are unable to watch it at the time it is broadcasted, you miss out on the whole thing and payed for something you didn't even watch (except for Annapolis, San Antonio and Semifinals which you can watch whenever.) So what you are really doing is just signing up for the pay per view early at a $30 discount.

2) You save $1.00 on APDs. But since the money goes back to the corps anyway, I don't really mind paying full price.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that's the only differences between the Gold and Platinum memberships.

So basically I will be paying $90 for 8 shows I may or may not be able to watch. And I will save $1.00 on APDs that I wasn't planning on buying many of to begin with. I will probably end up buying around a dozen, which that means that $12 I could save by doing this. But it's also $12 the corps don't get. I think the corps need the $12 more than I do.

My decision on platinum membership.... <**>

ok, so after going over what this membership really gives you, this is pretty much what you get for $90...

1) You automatically get access to the webcasts. This would save you $30 if you ended up doing pay per view on each one. But if you are unable to watch it at the time it is broadcasted, you miss out on the whole thing and payed for something you didn't even watch (except for Annapolis, San Antonio and Semifinals which you can watch whenever.) So what you are really doing is just signing up for the pay per view early at a $30 discount.

2) You save $1.00 on APDs. But since the money goes back to the corps anyway, I don't really mind paying full price.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that's the only differences between the Gold and Platinum memberships.

So basically I will be paying $90 for 8 shows I may or may not be able to watch. And I will save $1.00 on APDs that I wasn't planning on buying many of to begin with. I will probably end up buying around a dozen, which that means that $12 I could save by doing this. But it's also $12 the corps don't get. I think the corps need the $12 more than I do.

My decision on platinum membership.... <**>

You also get access to every finalist audio show all year via stream. Too bad on your decision, but to each their own. Hopefully you at least get the events you are around for...

Don't know if this has been covered yet:

Supposed I pay for the PPV Altanta show, which is a prelims/finals event (starts at 12noon). Does the fee get me BOTH the day and evening events, or just the evening show?

I would imagine that it works the same way as the tickets do...

You get both.

I was wondering if anyone has heard or notcied that you can only have ONE person signed on to ONE account at ONE time?

I think I'm running into this problem!!! I was hoping to get a couple of friends to go in together for $30/each. Is this not going to be an option? :(