College

Although from the marching aspect corps guys are often sought after now at college I've had professors in other ensembles hold it against us corps guys so we had to had the fact that we marched :ph34r: .... he finally gave in a little after seeing the '06 DCI finals on tv...

Andy;

I can't speak for Bassick,or Harding, but at Central, Mr. Marsuiili didn't want Drum Corps people in his band. A nice guy until he found out you marced M&M. In 1960, I started out in the PAL Marching Band just so I could play 1st alto sax in their 22 piece Dance Band. After 1 year I couldn't stand the marching band and left for the Scarlet Knights. I too "Never Looked Back" .

Jim, PCP

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend of mine (FMM Anaheim Kingsmen) was going to Long Beach State in CA in 1974. He was having a hard time motivating the drumline and asked me to come in, anonymously, as a ringer. We went through a whole song and dance about the fact that I wasn't a music major and was kicking their butts.

But the best part was at field rehearsal when the director, Larry Curtis, asked if was a student there. I told him, "No", and he said, ""You are now!"

I actually returned to Long Beach as a music ed major in 1991, but they had cancelled football and therefore the marching band. But they still had a marching band tech class. That was fun, and an easy A because the instructor essentially made me his TA.

Garry in Vegas

I'm just starting out on my marching journey at 23 years old.

This fall I marched with Ub's Thunder of the East :devil:

I marched for The Mighty Sound of the South, the University of Memphis marching band..... my older brother went to Tennessee.... so naturally we are mortal enemies.

Jacksonville State University Marching Southerners '98-'99

Jacksonville State University Marching Southerners from Jacksonville, Al

Sadly, I think CSUN canned the marching band a few years back.

That would be because they got rid of Football!!

But to answer the OP

CSUNorthridge Matador Band.

1989 Riverside Community College Marching Tigers. But for one scheduling conflict between the jazz band and their recording session and the marching bands kiwanis dinner had the marching band director threaton my grade if I choose the recording session. I deamed the recording session more important and got a lower grade in marching band because of it. Even had the marching band director call me out in front of the band about how I left him hanging. I guess letting everyone know that I was doing this rather than that and distributing the solo part to other capable players wasn't good enough. Needless to say I only did one semester of it as a freshman. And never looked back.

At the University I went to, no football, so no marching band. There was an effort to put a small pep band together to play for the womens basketball games though. Not the most exciting work, but the view was nice.