Cadets 2007 show

That has been The Cadets trademark sound for quite some time, as compared to Crown and, say, Regiment.

Personally, my faves are Crown and PR, but I like the McBeth pyramid approach to creating an ensemble sound, from the bottom up. But that's just me.

I know the Cadets have that East Coast bright sound and shouldn't have expected different.

Like you I also prefer to build the sound from the bottom up. Not just drum corps brass lines, but choirs, concert bands, and orchestras.

I love Phantom's sound. I stated Bluecoats and Crown because that's who I've heard so far this season. Crown's line was so rich and powerful with great control,. Bluecoats contra line is awesome and gives them a foundation I've never heard that corps have before.

Edited by shawn craig

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with most on what is being said, and yes i am a massive cadets fan some of the best show ever written have been cadets 1987 1984 1983!!

The painful thing abt this year is that they have a top three corps the brass line is on fire, and drumline improving with ever show, also a great visual show. The narration is bad yes, but the funny thing is that its just a series of quotes that just distract from the show, with the exception of the middle section with the guard instructors aguring does'nt really go with the music, which to be fair is just random pieces from previous years thown in!

The fun thing is that the show was based on a fans idea of drum corps and the fans are the ones that hate it. Maybe next will be different maybe not! hopkins will have to do something as he seems to be losing loyal fans by the droves, still innovation is all about the cadets!

Edited by cat699

I agree with most on what is being said, and yes i am a massive cadets fan some of the best show ever written have been cadets 1987 1984 1983!!

The painful thing abt this year is that they have a top three corps the brass line is on fire, and drumline improving with ever show, also a great visual show. The narration is bad yes, but the funny thing is that its just a series of quotes that just distract from the show, with the exception of the middle section with the guard instructors aguring does'nt really go with the music, which to be fair is just random pieces from previous years thown in!

The fun thing is that the show was based on a fans idea of drum corps and the fans are the ones that hate it. Maybe next will be different maybe not! hopkins will have to do something as he seems to be losing loyal fans by the droves, still innovation is all about the cadets!

I had a hard time making sense out of your post. At first I thought it was just the poor grammar, then i realized it didnt make much sense and was full of generalizations...and what's all this about random pieces from previous years being thrown in?

Edited by euponitone

I have to say that there is an aweful lot of narration that detracts from the music...

Well, I saw this year's Cadets show. The music is killer, the drill looks good, but the narration...EEEWWWWWW! I am an alumnus of the corps, and love the maroon and gold, but the narration flat-out SUCKS!!! It's NON-STOP throughout the show, and really detracts from what would otherwise be a kick-*** show.

Someone had it up on YouTube, but it got pulled down.

I gotta tell ya, I see this as being another 2006. When you see it, you'll understand what I mean. I pray I'm wrong, and most of it gets pulled from the show.

Anyone else see this on YouTube before it got yanked?

not every fan hates it though. But isn't the show about the personal experiences of those who march/marched? :sumo:

Why it doesn't work, when it doesn't work.

1. The sound quality of the amplification system they have is one step up from a portable PA system. If you have professional sounds coming from the rest of the performance, and a styrofoam-like series of voice-overs projecting from the speakers, you have a mis-match of sizable proportion. It only makes the vocal work sound worse in comparison, which takes some work since...

2. Some of the phrases given to the performers don't border on inane; they're definitions of inanity itself.

3. There's just way too much at this point. If there's just a lot of voiceover work, but no emotional or linear reason for the specific phrases coming out, they all become white noise that has to be listened around rather than listened to.

I'd hope that once they throw it on the field, that the staff will recognize where to start cutting back. Historically, they've been pretty smart about knowing where to change things, so I'd imagine that by the time they hit Pasadena, this show will still end up being fairly competitive.

Should be a very good year for all concerned in this activity.

When I listened to clips of the show, I thought the music was really good but the narration was overkill and too dull in some parts. This was almost like giving a speech. With that said, I have to agree with #3. The Cadets are known for making lots of changes throughout the season, and I hope they think about cutting the narration by at least half.

I think you're on the right track...in a lot of ways. My question to you is...why is that a bad thing. Clearly George Hopkins has decided that he WILL do these 'things' that are new and different (to dc), and that he wants to go a new direction. Given that this is a predetermined fact (to him...which is all that matters in this case), and that he thinks this is what dci needs, I would much prefer him doing things this way. At this point in this season, it's not relavent whether there will be narration, or whether or not the concept OF narration is good, as it has already been decided for this corps months ago.

I guess what im saying is, if its a given that theyre going to use it, I would rather have it worked in from the beginning, instead of thrown over the top after the fact. Adding narration to something leads to the old 'if you cant make the fans understand the show, you, the designer failed' argument. At least this way, the narration is an integral part of the show (for better or worse). I dont think this show is solely designed to be an excuse for narration, because I know george well enough to know how seriously he takes the 'This I Believe concept". Ask any former cadet here who has sat through a famous 'hoppy meeting', and they will tell you exactly what I mean.

I don't get it maybe its your bad grammer, but why have you put 'will' in capital letters also the word 'of' also in capital letters. Sorry don't mean to be picky! :sumo:

I don't get it maybe its your bad grammer

It's grammar?

:sumo: