1. 1. You've seen it...

• Love it
    • Hate it

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure there is a great drum corps in the cadets this season. Last night, however, i couldn't find it because i was too busy trying to read through the narration. I've said it before, pass out a friggin' libretto and i'll decide whether i need an explanation or not. Don't shove it down my throat, we are quite intelligent as audiences to figure it out ourselves. Peace!

My opinion put simply: amplified vocals can (once in a rare while) actually enhance a show when used simply as an effect, but when the vocals become the primary focus of the show, it ruins it for me. Cadets show seemed to be primarily about the voice-overs and only secondarily about the marching and music. As I said in my show review, one of my pals dubbed Cadets '07 "Confessions of an emo band geek." "In high school, I didn't fit in ..." etc. <yawn>

Edited by Orpheus

What a bunch of nonsense and rhetoric. "Nothing like this has ever been done before " ?? Yes, Bands have done it.

"Trying to explain an idea to the audience "???

Breaking rule number one, never underestimate or talk down to your audience, how rude to think you have to explain your show to the audience...let the brass and percussion do that, or else you wrote a terrible show if it needs explanation from someones voice.The show is hardly breaking any boundaries or setting new standards for performance or excellence, The rest of your post is just funny, ie: bandos, whats cool and whats not. You like it ?? good for you. Enjoy it.

~G~

The only show-explaining that went on was the self supplied on-field intro. The rest was a form of entertainment. There was nothing to figure out, or decide on a plot. It was just there! Constant speech isn't always communication. In this case its entertainment.

Bands have done it? I don't attend BOA nationals, sorry i wouldn't know. They're not explaining a show. Hop has had enough with that, its crap and doesn't work. They're conveying an idea! This show isn't setting a plot about angels and devils, or alice and wonderland, or have a machine or horse racing theme. Its real life! They're telling you what goes on in their lives! This show isn't a made up concept, its REAL. Like, people actually do exactly what that show is about all summer b**bs Imagine....a show....about a REAL LIFE thing! Its like a documentary, a peek into these kid's lives. Oh yeah, and one kick ### music and visual book to go with it.

No one has ever done this before. If you think it's been done before, you're not getting it.

"The show is hardly breaking any boundaries or setting new standards for performance or excellence" Those are the most physically fit kids in the history of the activity..............and I'd put money on that

If you think it's been done before, you're not getting it.

What if you "got it," but still thought it was lame? Here's my idea: show me the theme of the show (via music and visuals) ... if you have to hit me over the head and tell me the theme, it's not working. We shouldn't need a friggin' Greek chorus to interpret a drum corps show for us. It's like if you went to a ballet and somebody stopped the action once every few minutes to walk out on stage and explain what's going on. If that's necessary, then it's not working and something needs fixed.

The only show-explaining that went on was the self supplied on-field intro. The rest was a form of entertainment. There was nothing to figure out, or decide on a plot. It was just there! Constant speech isn't always communication. In this case its entertainment.

Bands have done it? I don't attend BOA nationals, sorry i wouldn't know. They're not explaining a show. Hop has had enough with that, its crap and doesn't work. They're conveying an idea! This show isn't setting a plot about angels and devils, or alice and wonderland, or have a machine or horse racing theme. Its real life! They're telling you what goes on in their lives! This show isn't a made up concept, its REAL. Like, people actually do exactly what that show is about all summer b**bs Imagine....a show....about a REAL LIFE thing! Its like a documentary, a peek into these kid's lives. Oh yeah, and one kick ### music and visual book to go with it.

No one has ever done this before. If you think it's been done before, you're not getting it.

"The show is hardly breaking any boundaries or setting new standards for performance or excellence" Those are the most physically fit kids in the history of the activity..............and I'd put money on that

And Seinfeld was a show about "Nothing" but it was still funny. So if they have a bad rehearsal before a show, are they gonna tank the show to reflect real life?

The execution of this concept (and there is a great concept behind this show) is a failure. A good design would present a cohesive idea that reinforces the concept that they are trying to convey. Answer me this, in what way does the music enhance the concept that is being conveyed by the narration?

Well for one, its the first show, but just for kicks, let me try and give you some ways that the music itself connects with the show concept. Keep in mind this is based on 2 live viewings, and im sure theres more to it than I was able to get.

The very beginning of the show...87 quote, this show is about tradition and innovation...what better music to use here. Its a statement of things past, yet representative of something that was new for its time.

Symphonic Movement in general - i believe this piece begins with a 12 tone row (somehow disguised). The perfect choice for a section highlighting the diverse elements that make up music, or the community of notes as it were. Much better than using a classic tonal piece, as all elements in 12 tone music are considered equal, and used as such.

The next really clear section to me was talking about how we can accomplish more together than apart. Immediately following this section was the small group, playing a melody that was clearly written in hocket (the melody was passed around between the members, literally mutiple times each beat). If thats not a perfect example of the commuity concept. Then we had the very in your face trumpet double tonguing section, which was again prefaced by very fitting narration. It kind of reminded me of the show off section in cadets 2000, except with a narrator saying 'hey, check this out'. Following that the corps broke into very dissonant corps with the body movement...it kind of seemed like they were fighting eachother here, but it resloved in a typical DC way...some loud chords and fast marching.

I cant really remember specifics of the ending, so I wont comment on that. I was able to come up with all of this, just based on the brass book, and not really any drill, drum, or guard effects, from the top of my head. I also dont have time to go into blue shades or the closer, but in blue shades especially, I think its quite obvious how the narration, marching, music, and overall concept all fit together. Perhaps ill post my take on those later. I do enjoy the fact that some people really do think that a staff thats won 9 world championships would just put a show out there that has no substance to it. Clearly a ton of thought goes into every programs of every corps, especially with regard to the integration of drill and music to the show concept. Its one thing to say you dont like or buy it, but to say its not there, or that the show is dead in the water, is just foolish IMO.

Here's my idea: show me the theme of the show (via music and visuals) ... if you have to hit me over the head and tell me the theme, it's not working.

No...just No

The narration is part of the theme. If you cant get past this, then there's not much anyone can say to you. Its not an add-on, not a crutch...its just, there. :ph34r:

No...just No

The narration is part of the theme. If you cant get past this, then there's not much anyone can say to you. Its not an add-on, not a crutch...its just, there. :rock:

Can't they just use subtitles? :ph34r: