The Cavaliers 2007 Show

Very little marching and playing at the same time...do you hold this opinion for Spin Cycle?

So i just watched it again...take everything i said in my long post and double it, that show was awesome. Like in the first movement when the 4 deep block gets eaten by the circle in lines of 4, and your playing the whole time...good stuff. I understand it was finals, but even without a lot of the fanciness (and the real ending, which i know you added later), the raw material for that show was just....there :)

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not so much. I feel like that show, while still using a lot of the same moves the cavies are known for, disguised it in a much better way. If anything, that show was almost too hard, which is one of the reasons performance captions were a bit down that year. This year, when watching the show, i just feel like they are so blatent, its just hit, jazz run, hit, pit break, hard horn runs, and so on. As simple as the concept was in 03(not a bad thing), i enjoy the raw show..the marching, spinning, and playing, much more. Plus you guys had some amazing moments in the 3rd and 4th movements esp with the whole circle of death thing.

When it boils down to it...i just think its a better show, and I dont feel insulted watching it. I know that was finals, and this is june, but i dont get the sense that the raw material is there. It may have been different for you guys, but as i mentioned earlier in this thread, we rarely ever 'added' drill, or added hornlicks to pit breaks. Change stuff yeah, add dance and bodywork...yeah, but if anything, we threw out the meat and potatoes of the show as early as possible, and refined and cut back from there.

I also feel like my opinion on this year is fairly unbiased, because if i was going to have any bias, it would be towards the 03 program. You guys 4 pointed us once late in july, and we fought like hel1 to get back in it. By finals, we were beating you in brass, marching, percussion, and guard, but still lost to you by .15. As upsetting as that was, ive never let it get in the way of me enjoying the show. When i dont like something, its my opinion based on what I see, and nothing prior. If I lived about 3 or 4 hundred miles west of here, you and i probably would have marched that show together...in the same section i believe. Speaking of that...i think ill watch it now.

Spin Cycle was probably a bit too hard. The opener was non-stop, with only two 80-count halts. Even at the end of the season, I remember being seriously winded by the end of the opener. We also added something like three endings to the show, with the different versions having 203, 213, and finally 230 sets. Aside from the ballad (where the actual fastest tempo was in the show due to an accellerando) where we got to march slowly or stand still, or the beginning of the 3rd movement, where some of us got to sit still for 10 measures or so, the show really was rather ridiculous, and I don't necessarily feel that everyone was comfortable with the entire show by the time we had our last performance. We were immensely talented that year, but sometimes I just feel that we were there just to have a good time that year. And a good time we did have, as we took more than a few free days that summer. I would say that y'all are definitely to be commended for your great comeback, but I still feel the placements were where they should have been.

Anyway, I guess I'm just surprised that so many people are dogging on this year's visual program, after only having seen it through a little box on a computer screen. I can only assume a good reason for the reaction is that most people who aren't from the Midwest aren't used to seeing early-season drum corps shows, which are typically very incomplete. Not that I know anything for sure, but I would figure whatever the green team plans on doing, they're definitely not out in full force when it comes to the visual program. There's probably quite a bit to fill in, but we shall see.

Spin Cycle was probably a bit too hard. The opener was non-stop, with only two 80-count halts. Even at the end of the season, I remember being seriously winded by the end of the opener. We also added something like three endings to the show, with the different versions having 203, 213, and finally 230 sets. Aside from the ballad (where the actual fastest tempo was in the show due to an accellerando) where we got to march slowly or stand still, or the beginning of the 3rd movement, where some of us got to sit still for 10 measures or so, the show really was rather ridiculous, and I don't necessarily feel that everyone was comfortable with the entire show by the time we had our last performance. We were immensely talented that year, but sometimes I just feel that we were there just to have a good time that year. And a good time we did have, as we took more than a few free days that summer. I would say that y'all are definitely to be commended for your great comeback, but I still feel the placements were where they should have been.

Anyway, I guess I'm just surprised that so many people are dogging on this year's visual program, after only having seen it through a little box on a computer screen. I can only assume a good reason for the reaction is that most people who aren't from the Midwest aren't used to seeing early-season drum corps shows, which are typically very incomplete. Not that I know anything for sure, but I would figure whatever the green team plans on doing, they're definitely not out in full force when it comes to the visual program. There's probably quite a bit to fill in, but we shall see.

Cool. For the record, i always prefer a harder show that isnt squeaky clean to the...well the obvious alternative. And did you mean 8 count halts, or 80 counts? I cant imagine the cavaliers standing still for 80 counts anywhere. As funny as it is, i can partially complare that to the cadets opener last year, where we marched and played continuously for 3 minutes, with a 4 count, and a 12 count halt. The best part was at the end of the openner we held out a long chord for waayyy to long, and then tried to get even louder (didnt always work). Of course people would rather bag on the 2 minute drum solo and the narration than notice that, but its not abig deal anymore :P .

Anyway, i think productions like last years opener are an example of harder not smarter, and from everything ive seen it looks like they are correcting that this year. And about our finals placements...yea i understand why you won, mainly because our show concept was designed by manitees with 'idea balls' (1$ to south park). Lol...and dont get me started on free days...as you may know we had a grand total of 0. I guess looking on the bright side, if we hadnt worked like that, we may have fallen behind spectacular vanguard and phantom shows, each which certainly had more GE and appeal than our program.

So about this years show...yeah, some people havent had a good read on it. I was lucky enough to see their rehearsal on saturday, and the show live. Like I said, I'm sure they will add things, but im just not used to corps adding sets and music into the previous material. Body work, new endings, sure, but horn parts over preexisting drill?...seems a bit tough to me, I dont know, maybe you guys do things differently, and obviously it works great for you, so best of luck this year. ...

except against us :laugh: :P

• 3 weeks later...

it might not be a cavies type show....but heck, the music was genius!!!!