The Cavaliers 2007 Show

My favorite part was in rehearsal when someone jumped and didnt get caught ^0^ ...like in allentown when a certain baritone player did a face-plant into the turf. (he's on tour, probably enjoying himself right now, so he wont see this) :P

It wasn't a certain velociraptor was it?

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

God, that line was insane

I actually met one of the mellophone players in a Nashville Church where his father is a pastor of (He still plays a horn with the Church ochestra)...I told him how much people think that is one of the best mellophone lines in drum corps history. My husband used to do sound in that Church so we went to visit it for its anniversary a few weeks ago.

I agree though, it is insane. ( But insane in a good way) :P

Edited by Lancerlady

did the cavaliers hire terrance?

No, that comment wasn't out from left field...well at least not in the Terrance way

I actually met one of the mellophone players in a Nashville Church where his father is a pastor of (He still plays a horn with the Church ochestra)...I told him how much people think that is one of the best mellophone lines in drum corps history. My husband used to do sound in that Church so we went to visit it for its anniversary a few weeks ago.

I agree though, it is insane. ( But insane in a good way) :P

I'd say that, to date, they are THE best...

Oh yeah..back on topic

so uh

How 'bout them Cavies?

It wasn't a certain velociraptor was it?

sorry, no. They never let him jump. As you know, velociraptors jump way to high and far to be considered human. Frankly he would have stuck out.

all i have to say about this show is....

THE "ANGRY YOUNG MAN" PIT SOLO !!!!!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

heh, i loved every second of it, along with the drumline throwing down a crap load of notes. can't wait to see this percussion section again.

Was the Star 91' Mellophone in Nashville Jason Cowan?

I feel you can have a blend of musical demand and doing it on the move. I really do not give much kudos to good or perceived difficult drill if you are not playing and marching at the same time. Difficult drill without playing while moving is not difficult because you have no limitation and you are simply moving from dot to dot. Not only that but during the movement something that has REALLY bothered me for years with the Cavalier approach is how bad their intervals are not just early season but even at finals.

On this year I think the musical demand is entirely too easy. I do think the drill will be added to with more demand but the book is what it is and I would seriously doubt they are going to add in much demand there as that is not their signature.

And for Terrance I sure hope that was a joke because I do not think I have ever heard a Cavalier show with ANY 32nd notes in it and definitely none where they were attempting to move. I was so disappointed either in 2004 or 2005 when I had heard through the gossip channels that they were doing some hard musical parts. I go to Louisville so excited and waited for them to come out. I was sitting with some of my former alumni and we were all anticipating a hard book they performed and when they were done we all looked at each other like "that was it?"

Sorry I guess we fall on the side where we want to hear a hard musical book performed while moving at the same time.

I have to chime in and agree with wayyyy too much just standing still for playing difficult parts throughout DCI these days. On Friday night I watched the Crossmen mellophone line stop to play a nice lick, then the bari line stop to play a nice lick, all while being disguised as a "featured" section.

The one thing I don't understand is continued discussion about the Cavaliers' lack of a horn book as though it's something new. With few exceptions, this has been the argument since Cavies came of age (in the DCI era) in the late 80s. Let me tell you about how many times I've heard about the number of whole notes the contra line played in 1990.

I've said it in the past- each corps has something you expect from it, and a hornline is not something I expect from my boys. I think hornline and I think Blue Devils. I think visual and I think Cavaliers.

As far as the visual show, you knoooow it has to change. I can go all the way back to '93 and how people were saying at the end of the summer what a completely different show we were marching than the visually disappointing show we had at the beginning of the season. For crying out loud, come back next week and the show will be different.

And, as evidenced by '92, '95, and '96, the only thing that really matters in the grand scheme of things is those last three nights.

Edited by usmcontra

I have to chime in and agree with wayyyy too much just standing still for playing difficult parts throughout DCI these days. On Friday night I watched the Crossmen mellophone line stop to play a nice lick, then the bari line stop to play a nice lick, all while being disguised as a "featured" section.

The one thing I don't understand is continued discussion about the Cavaliers' lack of a horn book as though it's something new. With few exceptions, this has been the argument since Cavies came of age (in the DCI era) in the late 80s. Let me tell you about how many times I've heard about the number of whole notes the contra line played in 1990.

I've said it in the past- each corps has something you expect from it, and a hornline is not something I expect from my boys. I think hornline and I think Blue Devils. I think visual and I think Cavaliers.

As far as the visual show, you knoooow it has to change. I can go all the way back to '93 and how people were saying at the end of the summer what a completely different show we were marching than the visually disappointing show we had at the beginning of the season. For crying out loud, come back next week and the show will be different.

And, as evidenced by '92, '95, and '96, the only thing that really matters in the grand scheme of things is those last three nights.

I suppose you may be right about the marching and playing aspect, given that you did march there (albeit in a different time..no offense). Im just not used to design staffs ADDING drill and music to a show. Visual effects...maybe; horns and dance moves...maybe, but in my experience, horn parts are easier to cut down than they are to rewrite. I know some drill will be rewritten completely, but i dont really have a problem with their drill, or their playing...its the integration of those two things, which to me seems like a really hard thing to change on the fly.

Edited by euponitone

I thought this show was FUN! FUN! FUN!

I went with 3 people, one has been going to shows with me for a few years now, it was the first show for my other two freinds. They were impressed in general with the activity. All of us liked Cavies best. (Suzi tries not to like them becuase they don't have girls, but deep down she loves them. :P )

I thought they did a good job of getting across the theme of the show- Billy Joel! The gaurd had suits on, took off the jackets and used them as a prop, loosened the ties, etc. The whole corps gave a Billy Joel "down town" type of attitude. It's very obvious there is much to add into the show and that it will develop, but as Jeff likes to say "it's a good frame work to start with."

This guard is already so much fun with all the gymnastics, attitude, using the suit coat, loosening the ties etc. It will be so much fun to see them in Pasadena!