Stockton, CA Scores

Is there a VANGUARD! yell this year and where is it?!

Are there reviews of the corps shows yet?

It's early in the show ... End of the opener I think.

Yeah, it was a great night ... Well done Vanguard!

Again, both corps are spectacular, but BD has got to finish their show ... The last 2-3 minutes the guard had almost no work. The guard is generally the weakest section of the corps right now ... Not what you are used to seeing from a BD corps. Devils are way too dark visually at the moment. There are long portions of the show (too long) where the guard is either not on equipment doing interpretive dance stuff or whole guard on rifles or rifles/sabres ... Not enough silks, imo, and that along with the guard in black (I think uniforms are yet to come) against the corps in dark blue and black ... Well, it's just way too dark.

Vanguard looks like some kind of Viennese Pastry confection by comparison ... Very bright and colorful (I think the guards uni's come with a battery pack, but they work.) The guard is very strong this year. The whole corps cooks, but could use some loud. Loud is good, right? (I think I saw that on a bumper sticker somewhere in the parking lot.) Amazing show. They were on fire and really owned the crowd tonight.

Devils have got loud. Holy Mother of Adam West, do they have loud!

Let see ... Everyone else:

Mandarins ... Lot's of cleaning to do, strong drum line, very entertaining show as usual

BDB ... Smokin'. Really like the drum line and the ELP (that's Emerson, Lake & Palmer for you younger folk.) show rocks.

SCV Cadets ... Really hard show to get into. Horn line not the strongest its been. Great marching style.

Fever ... Pretty good show. Don't have any idea what it was, but it was okay. Desperately need new uniforms and color scheme.

Impulse ... I like their new direction. They need horn players, but the drumline is solid and large. They look great on the field and I think could do some damage if they can get a few more experienced horn players.

BDC ... Tons of cute. Nice little "Grease" show ... Love the Hand Jive.

Renegades ... Pulled two more snares (and I think some more brass) out of a hat tonight. Show sells better with 5 snares. They got lots of Loud and Mistress Kelli-in-a-box (and how many ways go I take that to a wrong place so I'll stop right here) What else could you ask for? They lost the field props from last night. Not sure why.

RCR ... Need bodies, lots of 'em.

SCV played with the BD/SCV alums ... It was even better than last night's offering at BD's show (if that's possible). "Vanguardian Sketches" offers up SCV history in a nutshell, ending with ... wait for it ... The Bottle Dance! Next was (and I'm sorry to correct Jeff Pearson, but get it right, dude) the "All I Ask of You/Music of the Night" finale from Phantom. If that wasn't enough to reduce this normally stoic manly-man to a weepy beotch, the SCV corps played "Send in the Clowns" (with which they brought the loud, so they have the loud, just using it sparingly) and it was a three-hankie ending to a great night.

Lots of fun ... Wish I was going to SoCal next weekend.

Edited by DCIHasBeen

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet.

I'll just repeat what Gail Royer always used to say: Congratulations Vanguard. Enjoy it tonight, and be ready to work twice as hard tomorrow morning, because you just poked a snake with a stick.

What a night.

Today was the anniversary of Gail Royers death...

Win for SCV, SCV Alumni plays, Vanguard plays 'Send in the Clowns' ... what a night.

I was there on the 50yd line in the 2nd row from the top. Great seats! I've been watching SCV rehearse all week because they've been housed at the school across the street from my house in Fremont, CA since June 11 (yes, lucky me :P ). The design, quality and overall impact of their show did not hit me until last night, seeing it performed in uniform and up high. I can say for sure that they have a GREAT show this year! All areas of the corps are very strong: horns, drums, guard, GE and visual. They have the whole package. I can't wait to see the finished product in August - they're about 75% done w/their show as far as I can tell. I'm guessing they'll have the whole show on the field next weekend or shortly thereafter. I heard from a reliable source that they are getting the drill for the closing piece tomorrow (Tuesday).

I had a bad gut feeling about BD's performance as they were coming on the field, and left Stockton feeling very dissatisfied and confused. I saw many problems that I've never seen from BD before: phasing, out of step marching, interval problems, and a color guard that seemed well behind the "norm" for BD on any given year. BD usually 10 points SCV early on. I felt like I went to Stockton and landed in some bizarro universe. Major disappointment, although I won't lie. I'm an SCV alum, so I was VERY happy to see them win, in the early season and with an unfinished show to boot. They deserved it last night. The crowd was on their side as well. We'll see how this pans out in the coming weeks. I agree with Bill Thomas though about GR's quote about poking a snake with a stick. BD has never laid down and licked their wounds after a loss, and they never will. They will crank it up and come out with a vengeance ASAP, which I am looking forward to!

OK, I'm just gonna come out and say it. I'm sure I'll get flamed to death, but oh well. I think the "Vanguard yell" (a fairly new product in drum corps, which I refuse to partake in) is kind of silly. Sorry!!! :worthy:

GO SCV!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sweet.

I'll just repeat what Gail Royer always used to say: Congratulations Vanguard. Enjoy it tonight, and be ready to work twice as hard tomorrow morning, because you just poked a snake with a stick.

LOL!!!!

Well............I'd say they poked the snake with the stick in Concord............STEPPED on the snake last night............

.........I'd expect the snake is REALLY REALLY ###### off now!

But, I'm extremely happy and proud of SCV's accomplishment last night. I was 15-20 rows up on the 50 for both corps, SCV was CLEARLY cleaner, and MUCH MUCH LOUDER than BD last night. I am pleased to see SCV "getting theirs". It's about time.

TAKE IT ALL, SANTA CLARA!!!!

P.S. SCV won with polish, prescence and execution last night, but the Blue Devils DO have a very exciting and entertaining show. BD is NOT having an off year. SCV is having an ON year! Just wanted to clarify that!

Edited by ContraRich77

A Vanguard win is always special to me, whether it's the first time in a row or the tenth time in a row. I tried not to take it for granted while marching because they need to be earned - no need to start now.

Last night I was fortunate (along with quite a few other alumni) to find out about the win in a very special way. As we were lining up for the encore performance co-mingled with the SCV A-corps, we heard the scores announced and realized they won right along with them. I couldn't come up with a better way to hear that kind of news than to be standing there right with "the kids" as they realize it for themselves. What a great feeling

They had a great show and deserved it. Now the time is to look forward and keep working hard, because I'm sure the "stick in the hornet's nest" will be drawing some quick attention!

GO SCV!

Did the Stockton Buccaneers perform?

Yes they did. Renegades went on right after them so I wasn't able to see the show except from the limited view of the hill. They were smiling coming off the field even though it was Africa hot. A new baby has been born. Congratulations!!!