VANGUARD! yell

The official history of the Vanguard yell seems to start in 2003. You can hear it in the closer.

I thought I remembered hearing it in '94 at the end of the fast lick at 4:34 on the CD, but I'm mistaken; the fans hadn't yet organized themselves into yelling anything coherent. ;)

I guess the first one was in '99, and really, it wasn't even a complete hole in the music -- the battery and a cymbal or two in the pit crescendoed into the next downbeat. That made the yell seem even less staged and more like an insider's thing.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can hear one before the first turnaround to the front in '89

i bet the soprano player in the back with all the contras is saying "awwwkwwaaard..."

or is he a soloist or somethin?

edit:

ok thats not a soprano

Or...

"PLEASE DON'T LET ME DIE!!" It all depends on how they get to that form :P

I like the look of the drums with the uniforms.

Edited by AzEuph

First of all, I'm new to the forum. Hi everybody.

Anyway, concerning this:

Maybe this year the "take it all, santa clara" yell will be back.

did anybody else think they yelled "Take it off Aunt Clara!" the first time they heard it? Ok, I'll be honest, I only thought that for a brief moment, but maybe we should yell that instead. It'd be humorous.

Perhaps not.

Sorry for wasting your time.

First of all, I'm new to the forum. Hi everybody.

Anyway, concerning this:

did anybody else think they yelled "Take it off Aunt Clara!" the first time they heard it? Ok, I'll be honest, I only thought that for a brief moment, but maybe we should yell that instead. It'd be humorous.

Perhaps not.

Sorry for wasting your time.

just saw some of the show on youtube....bleh...

I'll never leave before a corps to get a hot dog, but for this listening to it is gonna force me to leave in the middle of the show :rolleyes:

Spoke to Key Poulan tonight...

After the first 3 minutes, the Corps makes an ! = EXCLAMATION POINT, at which time there is a pause..."Eureka" is yelled.

The "Vanguard" yell is in the sixth movement, at the END of the show... (at the last 2 shows this has not been played yet.)

More info on the 'Vanguard' yell will come.

seems pre-fab... where's the spontaneity? :huh:

that's no fun :rolleyes:

drum corps sucks now...

just saw some of the show on youtube....bleh...

I'll never leave before a corps to get a hot dog, but for this listening to it is gonna force me to leave in the middle of the show :worthy:

You're basing that off a 17 second clip of the "Eureka!" yell on YouTube? I've seen the show. It is nothing short of amazing, even sans closer!

The first time they planned the Vanguard Yell was last year, because everyone was yelling "VANGUARD!" in a moment of silence in the music that was supposed to be quiet for effect.

They've been planning VANGUARD yells since the 2004 season, because the 2003 show had a large pause that was intended to be silent. They even mention it on the 2004 DVD's as well as how it was not intended on the 2003 DVD's.