Another narration topic

At the risk of putting words into Silver King's mouth, I think the better term here is not "narration" but "amped vocals"...regardless of what exactly they are

The Cadets get the most flack because they're the ones using it the most...so, yes, they do get far more mention than the Bluecoats (who need to get rid of theirs as well) or whoever

For me, amped vocals are unacceptable entirely...I don't care who uses it and in what manner or how much

Put down the #### mic...you're holding that horn in your hand for a reason...and it's not to show it to people in the stands going "ooh look how bright and pretty my horn is!" (which you'd probably also say through a mic)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oy

borg.jpg

Borg reporting for duty before the close.

It's a good point. Cadets '05 were criticized for more than just voice. The same probably can be said for '06. Still, I'd argue that the anti-amp element was primary in the criticism.

I've always been anti-amps, not to mention narration, because 10 percent of the corps will use it effectively and the other 90% will overuse it. Indeed, that's what happened. Bluecoats narration, in and of itself, is not objectionable to me. It was brief and in the scheme of the show. For Cadets, especially '06 and '07, the narration IS the show. Same for the BD Dance Derby show in '05.

I wouldn't be at all upset if amps were repealed but that isn't about to happen. The best we can hope for is that judges trash the corps who are overusing them. Or, for those of us who financially support corps, withhold funds from those organizations who push the activity in what we perceive to be the "wrong" direction (DO make sure that you route those funds to a "more worthy" corps. Keep it in the activity!) Would corps get the message if their booster club membership and t-shirt sales dried up?

You're not going to catch me crying for the Cadets. Kids who go there must know what they are getting into...and most of them could care less what us online nerds have to say anyhow (ain't that right, Burdick? :P ) However...a group like Cadets (and a guy like Hop) must know ahead of time that the things they are doing are going to make them a lightning rod. Frankly, I can't see George being too bothered by it...he strikes me as a guy who thrives and feeds off of the negative energy. Not only do they know that they have that target on their back...most of them seem to enjoy the target. And, at least some of their fans of DCP are so invested in the martyr, "woe-is-me, poor Cadets" persona that it just wouldn't be a summer without them.

Still, they are a fine corps, one of the best and most "dangerous" corps around, and I can only hope that they (or Hop) get over this phase of trying to put everything but the kitchen sink in their shows and get back to in-your-face drum corps.

But that's just me.

From what I have seen (only video) they are "in-your-face drum corps".

As for being a lightening rod..negative energy, etc...most of that is only on the internet forums, which don't make much of a difference at all to the total audience for drum corps shows.

As for being a lightening rod..negative energy, etc...most of that is only on the internet forums, which don't make much of a difference at all to the total audience for drum corps shows.

And Mike, lets remind your internet audience how many shows and regionals and championships you yourself actually attended in the past three years. You are in no position to make a statement like that.

~G~

Edited by GMichael1230

I would be more upset had they won, since other corps would follow suit. I think Cadets going overboard with narration and placing 5th last year provided a point of caution for a lot of show designers, but apparently not those at Cadets.

The Cadets went overboard with narration last year? Hardly.

I just don't think their overall show in 06 jelled into a cohesive work as it did in 05, which helped put them in 5th at the end. Note that their performance marks across the board were in line with the 5th place as well.

The Cadets went overboard with narration last year? Hardly.

I just don't think their overall show in 06 jelled into a cohesive work as it did in 05, which helped put them in 5th at the end. Note that their performance marks across the board were in line with the 5th place as well.

Indeed. Lets not deceive ourselves into thinking that the only reason a show did not do well are the reasons that WE think it did not do well. There is not necessarily a causal argument here, and that kind of thinking leads to A LOT of false assumptions.

And Mike, lets remind your internet audience how many shows and regionals and championships you yourself actually attended in the past three years. You are in no position to make a statement like that.

~G~

Get over yourself, please. We know you go to many shows every year and spend a lot of money. You take every opportunity you can to tell us. That does not make your opinion anymore important than anyone elses', contrary to how you think as you have told me many times in PMs.

Its a known fact that the vocal few here on DCP that try and ramrod everything are a very small part of the dc community who attend shows. Heck, ask most people at a show about DCP and they will not even know what you are talking about. Bottom line, this place is a hang out for us DC junkies, but beyond that, its a small and fairly unimportant thing in the grand scheme of the marching arts.

Get over yourself, please. We know you go to many shows every year and spend a lot of money. You take every opportunity you can to tell us. That does not make your opinion anymore important than anyone elses', contrary to how you think as you have told me many times in PMs.

Its a known fact that the vocal few here on DCP that try and ramrod everything are a very small part of the dc community who attend shows. Heck, ask most people at a show about DCP and they will not even know what you are talking about. Bottom line, this place is a hang out for us DC junkies, but beyond that, its a small and fairly unimportant thing in the grand scheme of the marching arts.

Since G shouldnt be able to see your post anyway, I'll make the obvious response. He wasnt bragging about the shows he attended. In this case he is absolutely correct; If MikeD makes a claim about audience reaction to shows relative to reaction here on DCP, than his sources should be questioned. Now maybe Mike has been to lots of shows...i dont know, but its a valid argument.

Edited by euponitone