Madison Scouts 2007

You know, I realize there is a lot of misinformation about where the $$ was 'going' at Madison - suffice it to say it seems the 'Scott Stewart' alumni believe Sal was spending like a drunken sailor. Facts I know say the $$ was going to pay off debts before Sal even came on board. This can be argued until he** freezes over, I am sure, but what good will it do? I hear the phrase that the alumni are drinking the koolaid - all I know is Sal and company would never have turned away alumni help or contributions. Now, whether alumni would be satisfied with the kind of help was welcome is unknown to me. I know the corps held the same kinds of fundraisers as during Scott's tenure that required the guys to attempt to secure donations from alumni.

I also know there were a lot of angry alumni out there. In Boston, in 05 (where the corps placed 6th after being 5th or higher all year long except for Finals night), I was accosted by an alumni that was being quite rude about his comments and felt the corps did not need such things as a food truck and wanted to know why 'we were ruining his corps'. Hmmm...2002 placed 14, 2005 6th or better all year???

Sal voted Director of the Year.

Apparently there are many alumni that viewed things differently than the drum corps community as a whole.

All winter long when the alumni corps would have rehearsals nearby during the same weekends as the Scouts, I kept thinking we would see a large group of alumni during the late ensemble rehearsals on Sunday, cheering the guys on. Nope, never happened.

Now, please back to Lisle reviews. I personally think PR has a fantastic show this year. Someone please continue to talk it up!

If they were rehearsing at the same time, with similar schedules? They could be in two places at the same time? You are not thinking clearly. :)

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oswego results:

Pac Crest 66.65

Scouts 66.55

Ouch

only .10

I'm not at all a guard guy, but Crest's guard beat Scouts guard by a full point . Mostly all the other #'s were pretty close

Madison will not fold, the alumni will not let it happen. And as for this year's show, it's good. There may be issues that need fixing, but the show design is not part of it.

"The alumni will not let it happen"...first stated about 27th Lancers, then stated about Bridgemen. I don't

think the alumni determine whether or not any particular corps will fold or not. There is no way the alumni

could come up with the hundreds of thousands of dollars that a corps needs annually to survive.

People can say all they want that they "don't care" if the Scouts make finals or even make semi finals.

That's fine, they are welcome to their opinions, but in the minds of many talented young people that

have decisions to make concerning which corps they will belong to, I'm sure on field success is very

important. Can a corps (that has attained the prestige of the Scouts) survive a "bad" year? Yes, I think

they can. Can they survive consecutive "bad" years? I don't think they can...at least not maintaining the

level of prestige associated with the Scouts.

As for your comment that the show design does not need fixing...that sure appears to be up for debate.

People can say all they want that they "don't care" if the Scouts make finals or even make semi finals.

That's fine, they are welcome to their opinions, but in the minds of many talented young people that

have decisions to make concerning which corps they will belong to, I'm sure on field success is very

important.

I believe I have stated before that I don't care what place they come in. Of course, I want them to make finals, but it looks like it may be a possibility that they may not. I will be very disappointed if they don't. I guess I was refering to that people think that a # means that the corps hasn't accomplished anything or that the state of the organization is in chaos. I do agree that the talented kids have decisions to make, but don't they always? The overwhelming # of Scouts this year is from out of state, even if they were all in state, look at all the corps within a few hours - Scouts, PR, Cavaliers, Blue Stars, Pioneer even Colts.

I do agree that the talented kids have decisions to make, but don't they always? The overwhelming # of Scouts this year is from out of state, even if they were all in state, look at all the corps within a few hours - Scouts, PR, Cavaliers, Blue Stars, Pioneer even Colts.

That's in line with my point about the "talent" going elsewhere if the corps isn't successful on the field.

There was a time when most of the corps had local, or at least, in-state talent. Not so anymore.

The kids come from all over the country. I remember looking at the Scouts web site in 2005, a very

successful year in every way, and finding that only 10 Scouts came from Wisconsin and over 25

were from Texas.

What I am saying is that the "most talented" kids now have their choice of what corps they want

to belong to. Having to travel long distances, for most, doesn't enter into the decision anymore.

If a corps, Scouts included, wishes to attract and keep the "most talented", they must offer

the kids success during their time with the corps.

History will only work as a selling point for a short period of time.

I believe that the Scouts only have one member from Wisconsin this year. That's crazy. In 91 there were at least 4 guys in the drumline just from Racine, WI. I guess we're in a different era.

Where the heck is TB???? :P

Really, just a joke Tom

Where the heck is TB???? :P

Really, just a joke Tom

He's around. Posted on the topic about PR bus accident. Posted in the review forum as well. Maybe he's just staying away from Scouts talk.

He's around. Posted on the topic about PR bus accident. Posted in the review forum as well. Maybe he's just staying away from Scouts talk.

Still here...just on a self imposed sabbattical from Scouts talk. I spoke with Steve Powers and I'm arranging for some snack for the corps when they are in Tempe. It's the least I can do.

Still here...just on a self imposed sabbattical from Scouts talk. I spoke with Steve Powers and I'm arranging for some snack for the corps when they are in Tempe. It's the least I can do.

That's really cool of you to do that Tom. How is Steve Powers

by the way. I haven't talked to him since last summer. :)