Madison Scouts 2007

I think the answer is rather obvious. They felt Sal was getting the shaft! They felt

that the BOD was looking for excuses to get rid of Sal in hopes of getting a director

that would return the Scouts to the "in your face Scouts" of old.

By the way...I was told this by one of the staff members that resigned.

Why would you fault Marty Redmann for letting it be known why he resigned from

the board?

As for the "smooth transition" from 2002 to 2003...no it wasn't so smooth. There

were MANY that expressed their anger with the way Scott was treated.

I'm guessing the big difference between then and now may be what has happened

to the corps since the BOD made their decision in 02 and what has happened since

they made their decision in 06.

I don't think there was a single RAMD or DCP post expressing anger over Scott's treatment by a member, staffer or director. There were some posts on private forums, that's about it as I recall. There also was not a mass exodus of members and staff.

If i had been in Redmann's position, I would have left quietly. Given what the organization had been through since 2000, I don't see how he could have believed that a public dissent would have done any good.

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't have to name names. Marty Redmann has already made it public that he resigned in protest over Sal firing or non-renewal or whatever you want to call it.

The thing I want to know is why there was such an outcry over Sal? Even with all the turmoil in 2000 and 2002, there was still a relatively smooth transition from 2002 to 2003. Some staff left, some stayed. Same with the BOD. The ones who left did not make a public spectacle of their loyalty to Scott. Why such loyalty to Sal? Why are former staff members still badmouthing the corps in public? I just don't understand the bitterness. It's not like they were left hanging. Most of the staff found jobs with other corps. I believe that many were asked to stay on with the Scouts but chose to leave anyway. Why not just move on quietly. Why all the parting shots?

Yes, Marty was ONE, I can name TWO others that resigned because of this!! Perhaps you don't understand the bitterness because YOU WEREN'T THERE as many of us WERE!!! The staff chose to leave out of their respect for Sal! They knew he got the shaft - open your eyes!! Like I said - YOU weren't there - I was. I'd be on that board if I didn't live 800 miles away! I can't meet (attend BOD meetings) on Monday nights because of my job! It's like I've posted previously - how come so many alumni are just NOW supporting the current Scouts? There were NEVER but one or two around when my son marched! It was only after the MSARP began that my "brothers" came out of the woodwork! It was like pulling teeth to get any support from any of you prior to that I'm ashamed to say!

Oh, and by the way - There has not been a single post on DCP from Sal, Cody or last year's staff AT ALL!!!

Yes, Marty was ONE, I can name TWO others that resigned because of this!! Perhaps you don't understand the bitterness because YOU WEREN'T THERE as many of us WERE!!! The staff chose to leave out of their respect for Sal! They knew he got the shaft - open your eyes!! Like I said - YOU weren't there - I was. I'd be on that board if I didn't live 800 miles away! I can't meet (attend BOD meetings) on Monday nights because of my job! It's like I've posted previously - how come so many alumni are just NOW supporting the current Scouts? There were NEVER but one or two around when my son marched! It was only after the MSARP began that my "brothers" came out of the woodwork! It was like pulling teeth to get any support from any of you prior to that I'm ashamed to say!

Oh, and by the way - There has not been a single post on DCP from Sal, Cody or last year's staff AT ALL!!!

There actually have been some fairly negative posts on here from people who have identified themselves as being on last year's staff. Maybe they were lying. You never know.

I've contributed money to the Scouts every year since I aged out. Generous amounts considering I don't make that much and have kids of my own to raise. Never had to be asked. I've lived on one coast or the other for the past 20 years, so it's hard to attend rehearsals and meetings. If I could I would. It's not like the corps went out of their way to cultivate alumni relations. It's run like a secret society. Tighter with information than the friggin' CIA. And then you criticize me for "not being there." Do you even know me?

Why did he "get the shaft?" Didn't a majority vote not to renew his contract? Based on what happened to Scott, he must have known he was under the magnifying glass. In any case, it seems like people put their loyalty to Sal above the corps. That's what I don't understand. I knew Sal when he was on guard staff in 78. Nice guy, great instructor. Still, I'm just not getting the anger.

As a Madison Scouts outsider, I would like to try to put the recent turn of events into perspective. In 1992, I would have been ecstatic if we (Southwind) beat Madison. Heck, when I marched Bluecoats from 94-96, I would have been very happy to beat Madison. Unfortunately, even though Southwind beat Madison tonight, it is not because Southwind has climbed into the ranks of the elite (no slight meant), it is because Madison has fallen to the depths, in terms of Madison's history. It is sad for all involved. For Madison's members and for those that may be ahead of them in the standings, as they may be. As a former Southwind member, I would much rather see Southwind beat Madison when they were at the top of of their game then the situation as it exists. I hope that Madison can return to their old selves (crowd favorite...perennial finalist). Having a good Madison Scouts squad helps the activity. I hope they turn it around. I admit I have been a Madison "basher" in the past, primarily when I marched, but since I aged out, and before I was competing against them, I have enjoyed many of their shows. I do not know staff issues or BOD issues, I just hope they turn this around.

I know that the situation boils down to money. Time will tell if going inactive would've been a better decision, but their question really was whether they would go out there knowing they may not be able to compete in classic Madison Scouts style, or close up shop for a year. They chose to field a corps.

As I know from my own drum corps experience, coming in 17th and being first on the field at Semifinals, placement is not what is really great about the activity. It is the shared experience of working throughout the summer with not just everybody in your corps, but everybody else in all other corps. There are lots of things that will be just about the same between the members of all corps, whether you come in first or last.

Edited by Tekneek

As a Madison Scouts outsider, I would like to try to put the recent turn of events into perspective. In 1992, I would have been ecstatic if we (Southwind) beat Madison. Heck, when I marched Bluecoats from 94-96, I would have been very happy to beat Madison. Unfortunately, even though Southwind beat Madison tonight, it is not because Southwind has climbed into the ranks of the elite (no slight meant), it is because Madison has fallen to the depths, in terms of Madison's history. It is sad for all involved. For Madison's members and for those that may be ahead of them in the standings, as they may be. As a former Southwind member, I would much rather see Southwind beat Madison when they were at the top of of their game then the situation as it exists. I hope that Madison can return to their old selves (crowd favorite...perennial finalist). Having a good Madison Scouts squad helps the activity. I hope they turn it around. I admit I have been a Madison "basher" in the past, primarily when I marched, but since I aged out, and before I was competing against them, I have enjoyed many of their shows. I do not know staff issues or BOD issues, I just hope they turn this around.
You say "no slight meant" but there is. You're saying that the only reason SW or any of the corps above them beat Madison is because the Scouts have "fallen into the depths". I don't know, call me silly, but maybe SW and the others beat them because they are better then the Scouts. Maybe this will change in the weeks to come, maybe not.

"Having a good Madison Scouts squad helps the activity"? Well duh! Sure it does. But so does having a good SW, Cascades, Pac Crest, Troopers, [add any corps here]. They way you put it, the demise of the Scouts is the first sign of the Apocalypse of drum corps. Sorry, I hate to break it to you but DCI would not cease to exist if the Scouts didn't make semis or finals. Suncoast, Star, Freelancers, 2-7, Bridgemen, Cadets (JUST KIDDING!!!) and many other corps, big and small, have left the drum corps scene for one reason or another and yet... DCI has continued on.

And so will the Scouts. It may take time or it may even happen this season, but the Scouts will be back. Heck, to some the Scouts haven't even left. The score doesn't make the corps. The members, staff and fans make the corps. I learned that in my years with VF, The Dons and The Renegades. But saying other corps are beating them only because the Scouts are having a bad season instead of saying, "Wow SW beat the Scouts. They must have a good show" doesn't help anyone.

Just my 2 cents worth and I hope I made sense.

Edited by skajerk

I asked this in another thread, but maybe it's more appropriate here.

Another question about Sal Salas. I read that he was dismissed not due to competitive success but due to his lack of, say, "business sense" (e.g., budgeting). However, isn't that what a Board of Directors should be for? Isn't there an Executive Director of the Madison organization and a Corps Director of the Madison Scouts? I'd just imagine that if a corps director wasn't spending funds in the appropriate manner, the board would step in and provide oversight... not fire him altogether.

Is this Ken Kyle?

What's wrong - don't like it when all your brothers (yes, I'm a Madison alum) don't agree with you?? Yes, I disagree with the decision and that's my right!

You sure seem to get PO'd when someone disagrees with you!

Another question about Sal Salas. I read that he was dismissed not due to competitive success but due to his lack of, say, "business sense" (e.g., budgeting). However, isn't that what a Board of Directors should be for? Isn't there an Executive Director of the Madison organization and a Corps Director of the Madison Scouts? I'd just imagine that if a corps director wasn't spending funds in the appropriate manner, the board would step in and provide oversight... not fire him altogether.

Maybe Sal didn't want to be in a situation where everything had to be passed through a beancounter. Maybe he commented that he wanted full control or nothing, so they kicked him to the curb? I'm not privy to what happened, but I believe that if he were truly going to do whatever it would take to keep the financial end in shape, he would still be there. There must have been some issue related to that which Sal just did not want to do.

I'm not throwing Sal Salas under the bus, though, with those comments. I know he does good work. It most likely boiled down to some differences that proved too difficult to work through. It happens.

07 has already made it's mark. It would be a shame to continue on with the return of the great corps of old only to lose one in the process.