Don't read too much into June scores

Greetings,

I see alot of posts writing off some corps on the basis of scores at the first show or 2....not good.....I remember one year seeing the Sky Ryders in June....they copped a 54, and out of it score-wise. I remember saying to myself..."the hornline has talent and can play, the book is very good, the drumline will be adequate, and the drill design is good.....yes, execution is a mess, but it was their 2nd show.....that corps solidly made finals.

These corps now have 8-14 hours a day to get their act together....give them some time and a chance....to me, one of the greatest things about corps is that the season is like a horse race......you can jump to the lead early, or you can be back 20 lengths.......all that matters is how you finish........best of luck to all of the corps!

GB

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well said. I seem to recall a year back in the late 90s when BD started strong out of the gate, breaking 80 rather quickly, and leaving SCV in the dust about ten points back, possibly below a 70. BD ended up winning, but SCV finished very close behind, and I think they even tied them in quarterfinals. BD was stagnant at one point, improving five points in about a 3 week span. SCV went from ten points back to TYING them at one point, so anything is possible. I think the year was 1997 or 1998. I'll look into it.

Just because a corps is scoring very well now doesn't mean they won't peak early, and just because a corps isn't scoring as well doesn't mean they can't make adjustments to their show or decide that they're just going to turn it on one day and clean the hell out of it.

Edit:

1st show - http://corpsreps.com/scores.cfm?view=score...;showid=1997128

quarters - http://corpsreps.com/scores.cfm?view=score...;showid=1997003

Edited by Musicman1084

I'm with you. All of these predictions and #### are really getting old. If you want to write a review on all of the shows in a particular venue, knock yourself out. Enough with the unfounded predictions based on past trends and statistics. Leve that stuff for August!

These corps now have 8-14 hours a day to get their act together....give them some time and a chance....to me, one of the greatest things about corps is that the season is like a horse race......you can jump to the lead early, or you can be back 20 lengths.......all that matters is how you finish........best of luck to all of the corps!

Yes it is early in the season BUT let's not forget that some of these corps have been in

Spring Training for FIVE WEEKS working 12 hour days! Some of the examples I've seen

on here about how much improvement in scores a corps can have once the season starts

are usually examples for MANY years ago when corps may have had TWO WEEKS of camp

then would hit the road. It wasn't at all unusual for some of those corps not to have a

complete corps until the season had started, thus such score improvement wasn't so

unusual.

That's not really the case today.

I'm with you. All of these predictions and #### are really getting old. If you want to write a review on all of the shows in a particular venue, knock yourself out. Enough with the unfounded predictions based on past trends and statistics. Leve that stuff for August!

While I completely agreed with the first post, I don't so much agree with this one. Predicting whether someone will make finals or not based on early season scores is one thing, but what's wrong with predicting a single night's scores just for fun? I get a kick out of it for the simple reason of seeing how close or far I was - no other intentions.

True, but....

It doesn't happen very often any more. In fact, the only example I can think of this decade was Carolina Crown in 2003. They were 16th the year before, opened up sub-60 in June (more than 5 points behind Spirit, who finished 12th), and surged all the way to 10th at Finals.

But they were the exception to the rule. Low June scores typically mean low August placements any more.

While I completely agreed with the first post, I don't so much agree with this one. Predicting whether someone will make finals or not based on early season scores is one thing, but what's wrong with predicting a single night's scores just for fun? I get a kick out of it for the simple reason of seeing how close or far I was - no other intentions.

No no that's absolutely fine. I have no problem with that at all. It's the people who after two shows jump to saying who will win and who will makes finals....

Predicting scores before a show or after a corps' performance to see how you did can be fun.

Come on guys, don't be so touchy! It's fun to predict...no is saying that they know for sure what's going to happen, but it's fun to guess...one of my fav parts of the year is when NCAA football preseason mags come out predicting who will be good and who will win the NC...they're hardly ever right, but they're fun. So forgive us if we enjoy guessing about the corps! :P

Just where do all these rules come from anyway?

You know whats getting old? Posts talking about how predicting is getting old.

Edited by geluf